T-bet and pSTAT-1 expression in PBMC from coeliac disease patients: new markers of disease activity
Version of Record online: 15 JUL 2009
© 2009 British Society for Immunology
Clinical & Experimental Immunology
Volume 158, Issue 1, pages 106–114, October 2009
How to Cite
Frisullo, G., Nociti, V., Iorio, R., Patanella, A. K., Plantone, D., Bianco, A., Marti, A., Cammarota, G., Tonali, P. A. and Batocchi, A. P. (2009), T-bet and pSTAT-1 expression in PBMC from coeliac disease patients: new markers of disease activity. Clinical & Experimental Immunology, 158: 106–114. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2249.2009.03999.x
- Issue online: 2 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 15 JUL 2009
- Accepted for publication 7 July 2009
- 1Celiac disease. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:1731–43., .
- 2T-cell receptor variable genes and genetics susceptibility to celiac disease: an association and linkage study. Gastroenterology 1993; 105:1790–96., , , .
- 3Narrative review: celiac disease: understanding a complex autoimmune disorder. Ann Intern Med 2005; 142:289–98., .
- 4Is celiac disease an autoimmune disorder? Curr Opin Immunol 2005; 17:595–600., .
- 5Interleukin 18 and associated markers of T helper cell type 1 activity in coeliac disease. Gut 2002; 50:186–90., , et al.
- 6Regulation of the T helper cell type 1 transcription factor T-bet in coeliac disease mucosa. Gut 2004; 53:1090–95., , et al.
- 7A novel transcription factor, T-bet, directs Th1 lineage commitment. Cell 2000; 100:655–69., , , , , .
- 8Distinct effect of T-bet in TH1 commitment and IFN-gamma production in CD4 and CD8 T cells. Science 2002; 295:338–42., , , , , .
- 9Sustained T-bet expression confers polarized human TH2 cells with TH1-like cytokine production and migratory capacities. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004; 113:987–94., , et al.
- 10T-bet is rapidly induced by interferon-gamma in lymphoid and myeloid cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2001; 98:15137–42., , et al.
- 11T-bet is required for optimal production of IFN-gamma and antigen-specific T cell activation by dendritic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2003; 100:7749–54., , , , .
- 12T-bet is a STAT1-induced regulator of IL-12R expression in naive CD4+ T cells. Nat Immunol 2002; 3:549–57., , et al.
- 13Signaling through the JAK/STAT pathway, recent advances and future challenges. Gene 2002; 285:1–24., , , .
- 14STAT3: an important regulator of multiple cytokine functions. Transplantation 2008; 85:1372–77., , , , .
- 15The cytoplasmic tyrosine motifs in full-length glycoprotein 130 have different roles in IL-6 signal transduction. J Immunol 2000; 164:848–54., , et al.
- 16The orphan nuclear receptor RORgammat directs the differentiation program of proinflammatory IL-17+ T helper cells. Cell 2006; 126:1121–33., , , et al.
- 17Stat3 and Stat4 direct development of IL-17-secreting Th cells. J Immunol 2007; 178:4901–7., , et al.
- 18T helper 17 lineage differentiation is programmed by orphan nuclear receptors ROR alpha and ROR gamma. Immunity 2008; 28:29–39., , et al.
- 19American Gastroenterology Association Institute. American Gastroenterology Association Institute medical position statement on the diagnosis and management of celiac disease. Gastroenterology 2006; 131:1977–80..
- 20T-bet and mucosal Th1 responses in the gastrointestinal tract. Gut 2002; 51:301–3., .
- 21T-bet expression patterns in coeliac disease, cryptic and overt enteropathy-type T-cell lymphoma. Histopathology 2005; 47:368–74., , .
- 22Induction of rapid T cell activation and tolerance by systemic presentation of an orally administered antigen. Immunity 1998; 8:667–73., , , , .
- 23T cell proliferation, MHC class II restriction and cytokine products of gliadin-stimulated peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC). Clin Exp Immunol 1999; 117:269–76., , , .
- 24Lack of correlation between disease activity and decreased stimulated secretion of IL-10 in lymphocytes from patients with celiac disease. Scand J Gastroenterol 2002; 37:924–30., , et al.
- 25T cells in peripheral blood after gluten challenge in coeliac disease. Gut 2005; 54:1217–23., , et al.
- 26Characterizing the circulating, gliadin-specific CD4+ memory T cells in patients with celiac disease: linkage between memory function, gut homing and Th1 polarization. J Leukoc Biol 2006; 79:676–85., , , , .
- 27Celiac disease association with CD8+ T cell responses: identification of a novel gliadin-derived HLA-A2-restricted epitome. J Immunol 2003; 170:2719–26., , et al.
- 28The T-box transcription factor T-bet in immunity and autoimmunity. Cell Mol Immunol 2006; 3:87–95..
- 29Regulation of INF-gamma production by B effector 1 cells: essential roles for T-bet and the IFN-gamma receptor. J Immunol 2005; 174:6781–90., , , , .
- 30Constitutive activation of the signal transducer and activator of transcription pathway in celiac disease lesions. Am J Pathol 2003; 162:1845–55., , et al.
- 31Signal transducers and activators of transcription 3 signaling pathway: an essential mediator of inflammatory bowel disease and other forms of intestinal inflammation. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2005; 11:91–8., , et al.
- 32Mechanisms associated with IL-6-induced up-regulation of Jak3 and its role in monocytic differentiation. Blood 2004; 103:4093–101., , , , , .
- 33Regulatory activity of autocrine IL-10 on dendritic cell functions. J Immunol 2001; 166:4312–18., , , , .
- 34What does STAT3 do? J Clin Invest 2002; 109:1143–48., .
- 35IL-10 induces IL-10 in primary human monocyte-derived macrophages via the transcription factor Stat3. J Immunol 2007; 178:4779–85., , et al.
- 36IFN-gamma and STAT1 arrest monocyte migration and modulate RAC/CDC42 pathways. J Immunol 2008; 180:8057–65., , , .
- 37STAT-1-mediated repression of monocyte interleukin-10 gene expression in vivo. Eur J Immunol 2006; 36:623–30., , et al.
- 38Interleukins 27 and 6 induce STAT3-mediated T cell production of interleukin 10. Nat Immunol 2007; 8:1363–71., , et al.
- 39T(H)1 cells control themselves by producing interleukin-10. Nat Rev Immunol 2007; 7:425–28., .
- 40IL-10 polymorphisms are associated with early-onset celiac disease and severe mucosal damage in patients of Caucasian origin. Genet Med 2006; 8:169–74., , , , .
- 41IL23 differentially regulates the Th1/Th17 balance in ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. Gut 2008; 57:1682–89., , et al.
- 42TH17 (and TH1) signatures of intestinal biopsies of CD patients in response to gliadin. Autoimmunity 2009; 42:69–73., , , , , .
- 43In vivo activated monocytes from the site of inflammation in humans specifically promote Th17 responses. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2009; 106:6232–37., , et al.
- 44Chronically inflamed human tissues are infiltrated by highly differentiated Th17 lymphocytes. J Immunol 2008; 180:7423–30., , et al.