Vitamin D and respiratory health
Article first published online: 15 JUL 2009
© 2009 British Society for Immunology
Clinical & Experimental Immunology
Volume 158, Issue 1, pages 20–25, October 2009
How to Cite
Hughes, D. A. and Norton, R. (2009), Vitamin D and respiratory health. Clinical & Experimental Immunology, 158: 20–25. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2249.2009.04001.x
- Issue published online: 2 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 15 JUL 2009
- Accepted for publication 7 July 2009
- 1Immunoregulation by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3: basic concepts. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2005; 97:93–101., .
- 2Vitamin D signaling is modulated on multiple levels in health and disease. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2006; 248:149–59., , , .
- 3An association of serum vitamin D concentrations < 40 nmol/L with acute respiratory tract infection in young Finnish men. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 86:714–17., , et al.
- 4Vitamin D signaling in immune-mediated disorders: evolving insights and therapeutic opportunities. Mol Aspects Med 2008; 29:376–87., , , , .
- 5Vitamin D deficiency: a worldwide problem with health consequences. Am J Clin Nutr 2008; 87:1080S–6S., .
- 6Hypovitaminosis D in British adults at age 45 y: nationwide cohort study of dietary and lifestyle predictors. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 85:860–8., .
- 7Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:266–81..
- 8Vitamin D supplementation and total mortality: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Intern Med 2007; 167:1730–7., .
- 9Relationship between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and pulmonary function in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Chest 2005; 128:3792–8., .
- 10Dendritic cell modulation by 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D3 and its analogs: a vitamin D receptor-dependent pathway that promotes a persistent state of immaturity in vitro and in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2001; 98:6800–5., , , , , .
- 11Inhibition of IL-12 production by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3. Involvement of NF-kappaB downregulation in transcriptional repression of the p40 gene. J Clin Invest 1998; 101:252–62., , et al.
- 12Unexpected actions of vitamin D: new perspectives on the regulation of innate and adaptive immunity. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 2008; 4:80–90., .
- 13Substrate and enzyme trafficking as a means of regulating 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D synthesis and action: the human innate immune response. J Bone Miner Res 2007; 22 (Suppl. 2):V20–4., , et al.
- 141,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 stimulates phosphorylation of IkB and synergizes with TPA to induce nuclear translocation of NF-kB during monocytic differentiation of NB4 leukemia cells. Exp Cell Res 2002; 272:176–84., , .
- 151,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 induces biphasic NF-kB responses during HL-60 leukemia cells differentiation through protein induction and PI3K/Akt-dependent phosphorylation/degradation of IkB. Exp Cell Res 2007; 313:1722–34., , et al.
- 16Vitamin D and seasonal fluctuations of gadolinium-enhancing magnetic resonance imaging lesions in multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol 2000; 48:271–2., , .
- 17Intake of vitamin D and risk of type 1 diabetes: a birth-cohort study. Lancet 2001; 358:1500–3., , , , .
- 18The complex role of vitamin D in autoimmune diseases. Scand J Immunol 2008; 68:261–9., , et al.
- 19Respiratory epithelial cells convert inactive vitamin D to its active form: potential effects on host defense. J Immunol 2008; 181:7090–9., , , , , .
- 20Human macrophage host defense against Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Curr Opin Immunol 2008; 20:371–6., .
- 21Low serum vitamin D levels and tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Epidemiol 2008; 37:113–19., .
- 22The effect of vitamin D as supplementary treatment in patients with moderately advanced pulmonary tuberculous lesion. Acta Med Indones 2006; 38:3–5., .
- 23Toll-like receptor triggering of a vitamin D-mediated human antimicrobial response. Science 2006; 311:1770–3., , et al.
- 24A single dose of vitamin D enhances immunity to Mycobacteria. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2007; 176:208–13., , et al.
- 25L-arginine and vitamin D: novel adjunctive immunotherapies in tuberculosis. Trends Microbiol 2008; 16:336–44., , .
- 26IL-15 links TLR2/1-induced macrophage differentiation to the vitamin D-dependent antimicrobial pathway. J Immunol 2008; 181:7115–20., , et al.
- 27Cytokines in the pathogenesis of influenza. Vet Microbiol 2000; 74:109–16..
- 28Epidemic influenza and vitamin D. Epidemiol Infect 2006; 134:1129–40., , et al.
- 29The frequency of nutritional rickets among hospitalized infants and its relation to respiratory diseases. J Trop Pediatr 2004; 50:364–8., , .
- 30Association between serum 25-dydroxyvitamin D level and upper respiratory tract infection in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169:384–90., ,
- 31Cholecalciferol significantly increases 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in adults with cystic fibrosis. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 85:1307–11., , , , , .
- 32Treatment of vitamin D deficiency with UV light in patients with malabsorption syndromes: a case series. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 2007; 23:179–85., , et al.
- 33Biological and clinical aspects of the vitamin D binding protein (Gc-globulin) and its polymorphism. Clin Chim Acta 2006; 372:33–42., , , .
- 34Vitamin D binding protein, a new nutritional marker in cystic fibrosis patients. Clin Chem Lab Med 2008; 46:365–70., , , , , .
- 35Induction of cathelicidin in normal and CF bronchial epithelial cells by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3. J Cyst Fibros 2007; 6:403–10., , , , .
- 36Differentiating chronic obstructive pulmonary disease from asthma. J Am Acad Nurse Pract 2008; 20:445–54., , .
- 37MMP-9, TIMP-1 and inflammatory cells in sputum from COPD patients during exacerbation. Respir Res 2005; 6:151., , , , , .
- 38TNF-alpha up-regulates matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression and activity in alveolar macrophages from patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 2006; 26:647–50., , , , , .
- 39Balance of matrix metalloprotease-9 and tissue inhibitor of metalloprotease-1 from alveolar macrophages in cigarette smokers regulation by interleukin-10. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 162:1355–60., , , , , .
- 40Vitamin D and muscle function. Osteoporos Int 2002; 13:187–94., , .
- 41Vitamin D receptor genotypes influence quadriceps strength in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Clin Nutr 2008; 87:385–90., , et al.
- 42Effect of 1,25-(OH)2D3 (a vitamin D analogue) on passively sensitized human airway smooth muscle cells. Respirology 2007; 12:486–94., , .
- 43Low levels of dietary vitamin D intake and pulmonary function in adolescents (abstract). Proc Am Thoracic Soc 2006; 3:A536., .
- 44Prospective study of maternal intake of vitamin D during pregnancy and risk of wheezing illnesses in children at age 2 years. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006; 117:721–2., , et al.
- 45Maternal vitamin D intake during pregnancy and early childhood wheezing. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 85:853–9., , et al.
- 461α,25(OH)2D3 inhibits not only Th1 but also Th2 differentiation in human cord blood T cells. Pediatr Res 2002; 52:12–18., , , , , .
- 47Respiratory viruses and exacerbations of asthma in adults. BMJ 1993; 307:982–6., , .
- 48Glucocorticoid resistance in inflammatory diseases. Lancet 2009; 373:1905–17., .
- 49Reversing the defective induction of IL-10 secreting regulatory T cells in glucocorticoid-resistant asthma patients. J Clin Invest 2006; 116:146–55., , et al.