Reduced incidence and severity of experimental autoimmune arthritis in mice expressing catalytically inactive A disintegrin and metalloproteinase 8 (ADAM8)
Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2009
© 2009 British Society for Immunology
Clinical & Experimental Immunology
Volume 158, Issue 2, pages 246–256, November 2009
How to Cite
Zack, M. D., Melton, M. A., Stock, J. L., Storer, C. E., Barve, R. A., Minnerly, J. C., Weiss, D. J., Stejskal, J. A., Tortorella, M. D., Turk, J. R., Shevlin, K. M. and Malfait, A.-M. (2009), Reduced incidence and severity of experimental autoimmune arthritis in mice expressing catalytically inactive A disintegrin and metalloproteinase 8 (ADAM8). Clinical & Experimental Immunology, 158: 246–256. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2249.2009.04009.x
- Issue online: 1 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2009
- Accepted for publication 28 July 2009
- 1The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1988; 31:315–24., , et al.
- 2Immune-mediated pathways in chronic inflammatory arthritis. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 2008; 22:221–38., .
- 3Role of cytokines in rheumatoid arthritis: an education in pathophysiology and therapeutics. Immunol Rev 2008; 223:7–19., .
- 4Anti-TNF antibody therapy in rheumatoid arthritis and the risk of serious infections and malignancies: systematic review and meta-analysis of rare harmful effects in randomized controlled trials. JAMA 2006; 295:2275–85., , , , , .
- 5Updated consensus statement on biological agents for the treatment of rheumatic diseases, 2008. Ann Rheum Dis 2008; 67 (Suppl. 3):iii2–25., , et al.
- 6Biochemical properties and functions of membrane-anchored metalloprotease–disintegrin proteins (ADAMs). Curr Top Dev Biol 2003; 54:101–23., .
- 7The ADAMs family of metalloproteases: multidomain proteins with multiple functions. Genes Dev 2003; 17:7–30., .
- 8Shedding light on sheddases: role in growth and development. Bioessays 2002; 24:8–12., .
- 9The ADAM metalloproteinases. Mol Aspects Med 2009; 29:258–89., , .
- 10CD156 (human ADAM8): expression, primary amino acid sequence, and gene location. Genomics 1997; 41:56–62., , , , .
- 11Expression and regulation of the metalloproteinase ADAM-8 during human neutrophil pathophysiological activation and its catalytic activity on L-selectin shedding. J Immunol 2007; 178:8053–63., , et al.
- 12Macrophages and their products in rheumatoid arthritis. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2007; 19:289–95., .
- 13Increased expression of a novel osteoclast-stimulating factor, ADAM8, in interface tissue around loosened hip prostheses. J Rheumatol 2003; 30:2033–8., , et al.
- 14Involvement of a disintegrin and a metalloproteinase 8 (ADAM8) in osteoclastogenesis and pathological bone destruction. Ann Rheum Dis 2009; 68:427–34., , et al.
- 15The enzymatic activity of ADAM8 and ADAM9 is not regulated by TIMPs. FEBS Lett 2002; 524:154–8., , et al.
- 16Autoactivation of human ADAM8: a novel pre-processing step is required for catalytic activity. Biosci Rep 2008., , et al.
- 17The metalloprotease disintegrin ADAM8. Processing by autocatalysis is required for proteolytic activity and cell adhesion. J Biol Chem 2002; 277:48210–19., , et al.
- 18A new embryonic stem cell line from DBA/1lacJ mice allows genetic modification in a murine model of human inflammation. Exp Cell Res 1995; 221:520–5., , , , .
- 19Murine bone marrow-derived macrophages. Methods Mol Biol 1997; 75:301–4..
- 20Type II collagen-induced arthritis in mice. I. Major histocompatibility complex (I region) linkage and antibody correlates. J Exp Med 1981; 154:688–700., , , .
- 21Combination benefit of treatment with the cytokine inhibitors interleukin-1 receptor antagonist and PEGylated soluble tumor necrosis factor receptor type I in animal models of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2000; 43:2648–59., , et al.
- 22Exacerbation of collagen-induced arthritis by oligoclonal, IL-17-producing gamma delta T cells. J Immunol 2007; 179:5576–83., , , , , .
- 23Monoclonal antibodies to human cell surface antigens. Curr Protoc Immunol 2008; Appendix 4:4A., , , .
- 24Biology of mast cell tryptase and chymase. Ann NY Acad Sci 1991; 629:319–31..
- 25Fundamental immunology. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven, 1999:1051–66..
- 26Fluorescent substrates for the proteinases ADAM17, ADAM10, ADAM8, and ADAM12 useful for high-throughput inhibitor screening. Anal Biochem 2007; 366:144–8., .
- 27ADAMs in cancer cell proliferation and progression. Cancer Sci 2007; 98:621–8., .
- 28ADAM8: expression analysis and targeted deletion in mice. Dev Dyn 2005; 232:221–31., , et al.
- 29Pamapimod, a novel p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase inhibitor: preclinical analysis of efficacy and selectivity. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2008; 327:610–19., , et al.
- 30Dissecting the genetic basis of rheumatoid arthritis in mouse models. Curr Pharm Des 2006; 12:3753–9., .
- 31Bacterial lipopolysaccharide potentiates type II collagen-induced arthritis in mice. Mediators Inflamm 1992; 1:273–9., , .
- 32Anticytokine treatment of established type II collagen-induced arthritis in DBA/1 mice. A comparative study using anti-TNF alpha, anti-IL-1 alpha/beta, and IL-1Ra. Arthritis Rheum 1996; 39:797–809., , , .
- 33ADAM8: a novel osteoclast stimulating factor. J Bone Miner Res 2001; 16:814–22., , .
- 34a novel osteoclast integrin that regulates osteoclast formation and function. J Bone Miner Res 2006; 21:1657–65., , et al.
- 35Identification of candidate substrates for ectodomain shedding by the metalloprotease–disintegrin ADAM8. Biol Chem 2006; 387:337–46., , et al.
- 36Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) receptor shedding controls thresholds of innate immune activation that balance opposing TNF functions in infectious and inflammatory diseases. J Exp Med 2004; 200:367–76., , et al.
- 37A potent and selective p38 inhibitor protects against bone damage in murine collagen-induced arthritis: a comparison with neutralization of mouse TNFalpha. Br J Pharmacol 2008; 154:153–64., , et al.