A novel population of human CD56+ human leucocyte antigen D-related (HLA-DR+) colonic lamina propria cells is associated with inflammation in ulcerative colitis
Article first published online: 12 AUG 2009
© 2009 British Society for Immunology
Clinical & Experimental Immunology
Volume 158, Issue 2, pages 205–218, November 2009
How to Cite
Ng, S. C., Plamondon, S., Al-Hassi, H. O., English, N., Gellatly, N., Kamm, M. A., Knight, S. C. and Stagg, A. J. (2009), A novel population of human CD56+ human leucocyte antigen D-related (HLA-DR+) colonic lamina propria cells is associated with inflammation in ulcerative colitis. Clinical & Experimental Immunology, 158: 205–218. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2249.2009.04012.x
- Issue published online: 1 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 12 AUG 2009
- Accepted for publication 4 August 2009
- 1Inflammatory bowel disease. N Engl J Med 2002; 347:417–29..
- 2The dendritic cell system and its role in immunogenicity. Annu Rev Immunol 1991; 9:271–96..
- 3Immunobiology of dendritic cells. Annu Rev Immunol 2000; 18:767–811., , et al.
- 4Dendritic cells at the host–pathogen interface. Nat Immunol 2002; 3:699–702., , , .
- 5Freshly isolated Peyer's patch, but not spleen, dendritic cells produce interleukin 10 and induce the differentiation of T helper type 2 cells. J Exp Med 1999; 190:229–39., .
- 6Class II MHC antigen (Ia)-bearing dendritic cells in the epithelium of the rat intestine. J Immunol 1996; 156:1408–14., , , .
- 7Dendritic cells express tight junction proteins and penetrate gut epithelial monolayers to sample bacteria. Nat Immunol 2001; 2:361–7., , et al.
- 8Compartmentalization of the mucosal immune responses to commensal intestinal bacteria. Ann NY Acad Sci 2004; 1029:36–43., .
- 9Human neonatal Fc receptor mediates transport of IgG into luminal secretions for delivery of antigens to mucosal dendritic cells. Immunity 2004; 20:769–83., , et al.
- 10The dendritic cell: its role in intestinal inflammation and relationship with gut bacteria. Gut 2003; 52:1522–9., , , .
- 11CCR6-mediated dendritic cell activation of pathogen-specific T cells in Peyer's patches. Immunity 2006; 24:623–32., , et al.
- 12Dendritic cells rapidly recruited into epithelial tissues via CCR6/CCL20 are responsible for CD8+ T cell crosspriming in vivo. Immunity 2006; 24:191–201., , et al.
- 13Clustering of colonic lamina propria CD4(+) T cells to subepithelial dendritic cell aggregates precedes the development of colitis in a murine adoptive transfer model. Lab Invest 2001; 81:1339–49., , , .
- 14Colonic lamina propria dendritic cells in mice with CD4+ T cell-induced colitis. Eur J Immunol 2003; 33:1073–83., , , , .
- 15Patients with active inflammatory bowel disease lack immature peripheral blood plasmacytoid and myeloid dendritic cells. Gut 2005; 54:228–36., , et al.
- 16Increased expression of DC-SIGN+IL-12+IL-18+ and CD83+IL-12-IL-18- dendritic cell populations in the colonic mucosa of patients with Crohn's disease. Eur J Immunol 2003; 33:143–51., , et al.
- 17Increased number of mature dendritic cells in Crohn's disease: evidence for a chemokine mediated retention mechanism. Gut 2006; 55:220–7., , , , .
- 18Migration and maturation of human colonic dendritic cells. J Immunol 2001; 166:4958–67., , et al.
- 19Characteristics of intestinal dendritic cells in inflammatory bowel diseases. Gastroenterology 2005; 129:50–65., , et al.
- 20The Montreal classification of inflammatory bowel disease: controversies, consensus, and implications. Gut 2006; 55:749–53., , , .
- 21Clinical activity assessment in inflammatory bowel disease. Dig Dis Sci 1987; 32:42S–5S..
- 22Morphology and phenotype of dendritic cells from peripheral blood and their productive and non-productive infection with human immunodeficiency virus type 1. Immunology 1991; 72:361–7., , , .
- 23BDCA-2, BDCA-3, and BDCA-4: three markers for distinct subsets of dendritic cells in human peripheral blood. J Immunol 2000; 165:6037–46., , et al.
- 24Severity of inflammation is a risk factor for colorectal neoplasia in ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology 2004; 126:451–9., , et al.
- 25Histologic inflammation is a risk factor for progression to colorectal neoplasia in ulcerative colitis: a cohort study. Gastroenterology 2007; 133:1099–105., , et al.
- 26Plasmacytoid dendritic cells in immunity. Nat Immunol 2004; 5:1219–26., , .
- 27Natural killer cell malignancies: clinicopathologic and molecular features. Histol Histopathol 2002; 17:539–54., , .
- 28TCL1 expression in plasmacytoid dendritic cells (DC2s) and the related CD4+ CD56+ blastic tumors of skin. Blood 2003; 101:5007–9., , , , .
- 29Identification of a leukemic counterpart of the plasmacytoid dendritic cells. Blood 2001; 97:3210–17., , et al.
- 30Sensing the environment: a historical perspective on integrin signal transduction. Nat Cell Biol 2002; 4: E83–90., .
- 31A human natural killer cell subset provides an innate source of IL-22 for mucosal immunity. Nature 2009; 457:722–5., , et al.
- 32Depletion of natural killer cells in the colonic lamina propria of viraemic HIV-1-infected individuals. AIDS 2007; 21:2177–82., , , , , .
- 33CD56bright NK cells are enriched at inflammatory sites and can engage with monocytes in a reciprocal program of activation. J Immunol 2004; 173:6418–26., , , , , .
- 34CD56bright human NK cells differentiate into CD56dim cells: role of contact with peripheral fibroblasts. J Immunol 2007; 179:89–94., , et al.
- 35CD40L blockade prevents autoimmune diabetes by induction of bitypic NK/DC regulatory cells. Immunity 2002; 16:403–15., , et al.
- 36Novel APC-like properties of human NK cells directly regulate T cell activation. J Clin Invest 2004; 114:1612–23., , et al.
- 37Human small-intestinal epithelium contains functional natural killer lymphocytes. Gastroenterology 2003; 125:345–56., , , , , .
- 38Lamina propria c-kit+ immune precursors reside in human adult intestine and differentiate into natural killer cells. Gastroenterology 2007; 133:559–73., , et al.
- 39RORgammat and commensal microflora are required for the differentiation of mucosal interleukin 22-producing NKp46+ cells. Nat Immunol 2009; 10:83–91., , et al.
- 40Nonclassical CD1d-restricted NK T cells that produce IL-13 characterize an atypical Th2 response in ulcerative colitis. J Clin Invest 2004; 113:1490–7., , et al.
- 41CXCL12 expression by invasive trophoblasts induces the specific migration of CD16- human natural killer cells. Blood 2003; 102:1569–77., , et al.
- 42Induced recruitment of NK cells to lymph nodes provides IFN-gamma for T(H)1 priming. Nat Immunol 2004; 5:1260–5., , et al.
- 43Expression and function of alpha 4/beta 7 integrin on human natural killer cells. Immunology 1996; 89:96–104., , , , , .