The views expressed in the Article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official position of the European Commission. Financial support was provided by the European Communities.
European guidelines for quality assurance in cervical cancer screening: recommendations for collecting samples for conventional and liquid-based cytology†
Article first published online: 15 JUN 2007
Volume 18, Issue 3, pages 133–139, June 2007
How to Cite
Arbyn, M., Herbert, A., Schenck, U., Nieminen, P., Jordan, J., Mcgoogan, E., Patnick, J., Bergeron, C., Baldauf, J.-J., Klinkhamer, P., Bulten, J. and Martin-Hirsch, P. (2007), European guidelines for quality assurance in cervical cancer screening: recommendations for collecting samples for conventional and liquid-based cytology. Cytopathology, 18: 133–139. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2303.2007.00464.x
- Issue published online: 15 JUN 2007
- Article first published online: 15 JUN 2007
- Accepted for publication 20 April 2007
- 2BSCC. How to Take a Cervical Smear (3rd edition). Uxbridge: British Society of Clinical Cytology; 2003. Video and booklet available at: http://www.clinicalcytology.co.uk (Last accessed on 26 April 2007).
- 3Flemish Working Party Sampling. A technical guideline: collection of adequate Pap smears of the uterine cervix. Scientific Institute of Public Health 2000; IPH/EPI-REPORTS 4, 1–53 Available from http://www.iph.fgov.be/epidemio/epinl/cervixnl/s_eng1.pdf.(ed.).
- 4Chapter 3 Methods for Screening and Diagnosis. In: European Guidelines for Quality Assurance in Cervical Cancer Screening, ArbynM, AnttilaA, JordanJ et al. , (eds). Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities; 2007: (in press)., , et al.
- 5Latest aspects of precancerous lesions in squamous and columnar epithelium of the cervix. Int J Gynecol Obstet 1970;8:573–80..
- 6Colposcopy Cervical Pathology. 3rd revised and enlarged edn. Stuttgart, New York: Georg Thieme Verlag; 1998: pp. 1–323., , .
- 7The Pap Smear. 2nd edn. Leiden: Coulomb Press Leyden; 1993., .
- 14NHSCSP. Taking Samples for Cervical Screening a Resource Pack for Trainers. Sheffield: National Health Service Cervical Screening Programme, NHSCSP Publication No. 23 2006: 1–47. Available at: http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk.
- 15NCCLS. Papanicolaou Technique. Approved Guideline. Pennsylvania: National Comity for Clinical Laboratory Standards, NCCLS Document GP15-A, vol 14 N 8 (video); 1994.
- 18The Bethesda system for reporting cervical cytology: definitions, criteria and explanatory notes. 2nd edn. New York: Springer; 2004: 1–191., .