Observations on the vertical distribution of soil Oribatei in a woodland soil
- 1The vertical distribution of Oribatei in a black pine plantation soil was studied in situ using the soil sectioning technique.
- 2Oribatei were most abundent in the upper 3 cm due to the greater abundance of suitable food in this region.
- 3Larger species were usually confined to the upper layers but some smaller species were also abundant in this region.
- 4A correlation between the size of the species and their penetration was not found to be statistically significant.
- 5Nested analysis of variance showed seasonal redistribution in some species.
- 6The vertical distribution of individual species is discussed, and partially explained.