Financial disclosures: There are no financial disclosures from any authors.
Cancer patients' concerns regarding access to cancer care: perceived impact of waiting times along the diagnosis and treatment journey
Version of Record online: 23 NOV 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
European Journal of Cancer Care
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 321–329, May 2012
How to Cite
PAUL, C., CAREY, M., ANDERSON, A., MACKENZIE, L., SANSON-FISHER, R., COURTNEY, R. and CLINTON-MCHARG, T. (2012), Cancer patients' concerns regarding access to cancer care: perceived impact of waiting times along the diagnosis and treatment journey. European Journal of Cancer Care, 21: 321–329. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2354.2011.01311.x
Infrastructure Funding from the Priority Research Centre for Health Behaviour (PRCHB) and Hunter Medical Research Institute (HMRI) is gratefully acknowledged.
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue online: 12 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 23 NOV 2011
- Accepted 18 October 2011
- 2006) Predictors of clinic satisfaction among adult survivors of childhood cancer. European Journal of Cancer 42, 1421–1427. , , , , , , , & (
- 1974) A framework for the study of access to medical care. Health Services Research 9, 208–220. & (
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (2009) National Healthcare Quality Report. AHRQ, Rockville, MD, USA.
- 1995) Revisiting the behavioral model and access to medical care: does it matter? Journal of Health and Social Behaviour 36, 1–10. (
- 2008) National health surveys and the behavioral model of health services use. Medical Care 46, 647–653. (
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2006) Information Paper: An Introduction to Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA). Available at: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/2039.0/
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2010) Australian Hospital Statistics 2008–09. AIHW, Canberra, Australia.
- 2005) Approaching difficult communication tasks in oncology. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians 55, 164–177. , , , & (
- 2011) Wait times for cancer surgery in the United States: trends and predictors of delays. Annals of Surgery 253, 779–785. , , , , , , & (
- 1999) Systematic review of cancer treatment programmes in remote and rural areas. British Journal of Cancer 80, 1275–1280. , , & (
- Cancer Care Ontario (2008) Ontario Cancer Plan 2008–2011. Cancer Care Ontario, Toronto, ON, Canada. Available at: http://www.cancercare.on.ca/common/pages/UserFile.aspx?fileId=13808
- Cancer Institute New South Wales (2009) NSW Cancer Patient Satisfaction Survey 2008. Cancer Institute NSW, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
- 2006) Confidence and uncertainty long after initial treatment for early prostate cancer: survivors' views of cancer control and the treatment decisions they made. Journal of Clinical Oncology 24, 4457–4463. & (
- 1999) Breast cancer: delays, dilemmas, and delusions. The Lancet 353, 1112–1113. (
- Department of Health (2000) The NHS Cancer Plan: A Plan for Investment, A Plan for Reform. Department of Health, London, UK.
- 2010) Coping with breast cancer: between diagnosis and surgery. Journal of Advanced Nursing 66, 149–158. , & (
- 2010) Exploring patient experiences of cancer services in regional Australia. Cancer Nursing 33, E25–E31. & (
- 1999) How should doctors communicate the diagnosis of cancer to patients? Annals of Medicine 31, 336–341. & (
- 2007) Minimizing delays in ovarian cancer diagnosis: an expansion of Andersen's model of ‘total patient delay’. Family Practice 24, 48–55. , & (
- 2006) Delay in the surgical treatment of bladder cancer and survival: systematic review of the literature. European Urology 50, 1176–1182. , & (
- 2003) Travelling for radiation cancer treatment: patient perspectives. Psycho-Oncology 12, 664–674. , , , , , , & (
- 2004) Identifying priority actions for improving patient satisfaction with outpatient cancer care. Journal of Nursing Care Quality 19, 226–233. & (
- 2009) Wait times for surgical and adjuvant radiation treatment of breast cancer in Canada and the United States: greater socioeconomic inequity in America. Clinical and Investigative Medicine 32, E239–E249. , , , & (
- 2002) Ethnic differences in quality of life among early breast and prostate cancer survivors. Psycho-Oncology 11, 103–113. , & (
- 2008) Cancer patients' satisfaction with care in traditional and innovative ambulatory oncology clinics. Journal of Nursing Care Quality 23, 251–257. , , & (
- Health Canada (2004) A 10-year plan to strengthen health care. [News Release]. Available at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/delivery-prestation/fptcollab/2004-fmm-rpm/index-eng.php
- 2008) Health insurance and access to health care in the United States. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1136, 149–160. & (
- Institute of Medicine (2001) Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Institute of Medicine (2011) Patient-centred Cancer Treatment & Planning: Improving Quality of Oncology Care: Workshop Summary. National Cancer Policy Forum, Board on Health Care Services, Washington, DC, USA.
- 2008) Travel time to hospital and treatment for breast, colon, rectum, lung, ovary and prostate cancer. European Journal of Cancer 44, 992–999. , , , , & (
- 2001) Is the two week rule for cancer referrals working? British Medical Journal 322, 1555–1556. , & (
- 2004) Recognition of distress and psychiatric morbidity in cancer patients: a multi-method approach. Annals of Oncology 15, 1243–1249. , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Australian Social Trends 2007: low income low wealth households. cat. no. 4102.0. Australian Bureau of Statistics: Canberra. (
- 2001) Screening for depression in palliative care patients: a review. European Journal of Cancer Care 10, 31–35. (
- 2002) Diagnostic efficiency of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale in women with early stage breast cancer. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 36, 246–250. , , & (
- Manpower and Standards of Care in Radiation Oncology Committee (2000) Definition of RT Waiting. Canadian Association of Radiation Oncologists (CARO). Available at: http://www.caro-acro.ca/About_Us/Publications.htm
- 2011) Rapid disease progression with delay in treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 79, 466–472. , , , , , , , & (
- 1991) The factor structure and factor stability of the hospital anxiety and depression scale in patients with cancer. The British Journal of Psychiatry 158, 255–259. , , , , , , & (
- National Health Service (2011) Guide to waiting times. Available at: http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rightsandpledges/Waitingtimes/Pages/Guide%20to%20waiting%20times.aspx
- New South Wales Department of Health (2011) Monthly Hospital Performance Reports. NSW Health, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
- New South Wales Health (2003) A Clinical Service Framework for Optimising Cancer Care in NSW. NSW Department of Health, North Sydney, NSW, Australia.
- 2009) Delay in diagnosis: the experience in Denmark. British Journal of Cancer 101 (Suppl. 2), S5–S8. , & (
- 2008) Geographic access to cancer care in the U.S. Cancer 112, 909–918. , , , , & (
- Organisation for Economic Development and Co-operation (2009) Health Care Quality Indicators data: cancer care. Available at: http://www.oecd.org/health/hcqi
- 1997) The emergence of the ‘waiting game’: a critical examination of the psychosocial issues in diagnosing breast cancer. Journal of Advanced Nursing 25, 273–281. (
- 1999) Influence of delay on survival in patients with breast cancer: a systematic view. Lancet 353, 1119–1126. , , , & (
- 2005) Delays in the diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer. Chest 128, 2282–2288. , , & (
- 2007) Determinants of unacceptable waiting times for specialized services in Canada. Health Policy 2, E140–E154. , & (
- 2009) Measuring the unmet needs of those with cancer: a critical overview. Cancer Forum 33, 200–203. , & (
- 2005) Disparities in access to care and satisfaction among U.S. children: the roles of race/ethnicity and poverty status. Public Health Report 120, 431–441. & (
- 1997) Volume of clinical activity in hospitals and healthcare outcomes, costs, and patient access. Quality in Health Care 6, 109–114. , , , , , , , & (
- 2001) Cervical screening by socio-economic status in Australia. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health 25, 256–260. , , & (
- 2009) Comorbidity and diagnostic delay in cancer of the larynx, tongue and pharynx. Oral Oncology 45, 692–695. & (
- The Royal College of Physicians & The Royal College of Radiologists (1993) Reducing delays in cancer treatment: some targets. The Royal College of Physicians on behalf of the Joint Council for Clinical Oncology, London, UK.
- 2009) Patient ethnicity: a key predictor of cancer care satisfaction. Ethnicity and Health 14, 351–358. , , & (
- 2006) Australian Social Trends 2006. Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra, Australia. (
- For the OECD Health Equity Research Group (2006) Inequalities in access to medical care by income in developed countries. Canadian Medical Association Journal 174, 177–183. , , &
- 2007) Performance of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale as a screening tool for major depressive disorder in cancer patients. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 63, 83–91. , , , , , & (
- World Health Organisation (2009) Fact Sheet No.297: Cancer. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs297/en/index.html
- 1983) The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatrica Scandanavica 67, 361–370. & (