Soil structure and soil-borne diseases: using epidemiological concepts to scale from fungal spread to plant epidemics
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2006
European Journal of Soil Science
Volume 57, Issue 1, pages 26–37, February 2006
How to Cite
Otten, W. and Gilligan, C. A. (2006), Soil structure and soil-borne diseases: using epidemiological concepts to scale from fungal spread to plant epidemics. European Journal of Soil Science, 57: 26–37. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2389.2006.00766.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2006
- Received 16 December 2004; revised version accepted 26 August 2005
- 1996. Soil suppressiveness to disease induced by soilborne plant pathogens. In: Soil Biochemistry (ed. J.M.Bollag), pp. 371–413. Marcel Dekker, New York. , , &
- 1977. Introduction to Microbiology, 2nd edn. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- 1991. Infectious Diseases of Humans: Dynamics and Control. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 1997. Biological control of pathozone behaviour and disease dynamics of Rhizoctonia solani by Trichoderma viride. New Phytologist, 136, 359–367. &
- 2000. Saprotrophic invasion by the soil-borne fungal plant pathogen Rhizoctonia solani and percolation thresholds. New Phytologist, 146, 535–544. , &
- 1999. Saprotrophic cord-forming fungi: meeting the challenge of heterogeneous environments. Mycologia, 91, 13–32.
- 2003. Growth and function of fungal mycelia in heterogeneous environments. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 65, 447–477. , , , &
- 1997. Influence of cropping systems on foot and root diseases of winter wheat: fitting of a statistical model. European Journal of Agronomy, 6, 61–77. , , &
- 1996. Influence of cropping system on foot rot of winter wheat in France. Crop Protection, 15, 295–305. , &
- 1987. Roots, plant production and nutrient use efficiency. PhD thesis, Agricultural University, Wageningen. &
- 1995. Oat residue and soil compaction influences on common root-rot (Aphanomyces euteiches) of peas in a fine-textured soil. Plant and Soil, 171, 235–244. , , &
- 1999. Predicting variability in biological control of a plant-pathogen system using stochastic models. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B–Biological Sciences, 266, 1743–1753. , &
- 1990. Mathematical models of infection. In: The Rhizosphere (ed. J.M.Lynch), pp. 207–232. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester.
- 2002. An epidemiological framework for disease management. Advances in Botanical Research, 38, 1–64.
- 1997. Components of pathozone behaviour. New Phytologist, 136, 342–358. &
- 1987. Influence of matric potential and soil compaction on growth of the take-all fungus through soil. Transactions of the British Mycological Society, 88, 83–89. , , &
- 2004. Pathozones of genetic subtypes of Gaeumannomyces graminis in cereals. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 36, 145–154. , , &
- 1999. New approaches to studying chemical and physical changes in the rhizosphere: an overview. Plant and Soil, 211, 1–9. &
- 2003. Effect of bulk density on the spatial organisation of the fungus Rhizoctonia solani in soil. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 44, 45–56. , , , &
- 2001. The ecological concept of costs of induced systemic resistance (ISR). European Journal of Plant Pathology, 107, 137–146.
- 2000. Theory and plant epidemiology. Plant Pathology, 49, 651–658.
- 1996. Plant–pathogen interactions of Rhizoctonia spp. In: Rhizoctonia Species: Taxonomy, Molecular Biology, Ecology, Pathology and Disease Control (ed. G.Dijst), pp. 149–162. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht.
- 1997. Scaling and spatial dynamics in plant pathogen systems: from individuals to populations. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B, 264, 979–984. , &
- 1996. Microbial transport through heterogeneous porous media: random walk, fractal, and percolation approaches. Ecological Modelling, 85, 285–302. , &
- 2003. Applying network theory to epidemics: control measures for Mycoplasma pneumoniae outbreaks. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 9, 204–210. , , &
- 2002. Spread of epidemic disease on networks. Physical Review E, 66, No 016128.
- 2004b. Empirical evidence of spatial thresholds to control invasion of fungal parasites and saprotrophs. New Phytologist, 163, 125–132. , &
- 2004a. An empirical method to estimate the effect of soil on the rate for disease transmission of damping-off disease. New Phytologist, 162, 231–238. , &
- 1998. Effect of physical conditions on the spatial and temporal dynamics of the soil-borne fungal pathogen Rhizoctonia solani. New Phytologist, 138, 629–637. &
- 1999. Continuity of air-filled pores and invasion thresholds for a soil-borne fungal pathogen, Rhizoctonia Solani. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 31, 1803–1810. , , , &
- 2001. Soil physics, fungal epidemiology and the spread of Rhizoctonia solani. New Phytologist, 151, 459–468. , , , , &
- 2004c. Preferential spread of the pathogenic fungus Rhizoctonia solani through structured soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 36, 203–210. , , , &
- 1995. Growth responses of some fungi to spatially heterogeneous nutrients. FEMS Microbiology and Ecology, 16, 269–279.
- 2002. Cell polarization, a crucial process in fungal defence. Trends in Plant Science, 7, 411–415.
- 1995. Conservation tillage systems, fungal complexes and disease development in soybean and barley rhizospheres in Prince Edward Island. Soil and Tillage Research, 34, 225–238. &
- 1997. A review of plant disease, pathogen interactions and microbial antagonism under conservation tillage in temperate humid agriculture. Soil and Tillage Research, 41, 169–189. , &
- 1981. Effects of reduced tillage and multiple cropping on plant diseases. Annual Review of Phytopathology, 19, 167–187. , &
- 1988. Analysis of the spatial variability of maize root density. 2. Distances between roots. Plant and Soil, 107, 267–272.
- 1996. Evaluation of polyester, epoxy and acrylic resins for suitability in preparation of soil thin sections for in situ biological studies. Geoderma, 69, 31–57. &
- 1996. Microbiological factors affecting the colonisation of soil aggregates by Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. Raphani. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 28, 1513–1521. , &
- 1988. Biological-control of soilborne plant-pathogens in the rhizosphere with bacteria. Annual Review of Phytopathology, 26, 379–407.
- 1998. Biophysical interactions at the root–soil interface: a review. Journal of Agricultural Science, 130, 1–7.
- 2000. Tillage, habitat space and function of soil microbes. Soil and Tillage Research, 53, 201–213. &