Modelling the rhizosphere: a review of methods for ‘upscaling’ to the whole-plant scale
Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2006
European Journal of Soil Science
Volume 57, Issue 1, pages 13–25, February 2006
How to Cite
Darrah, P. R., Jones, D. L., Kirk, G. J. D. and Roose, T. (2006), Modelling the rhizosphere: a review of methods for ‘upscaling’ to the whole-plant scale. European Journal of Soil Science, 57: 13–25. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2389.2006.00786.x
- Issue online: 26 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2006
- Received 5 April 2005; revised version accepted 7 November 2005
- 2003. Temporal responses of Arabidopsis root architecture to phosphate starvation: evidence for the involvement of auxin signalling. Plant, Cell and Environment, 26, 1053–1066. , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The relative advantages of plasticity and fixity in different environments: when is it good for a plant to adjust? Evolutionary Ecology, 16, 285–297. &
- 1975. Uptake of solutes by multiple root systems from soil. III. Model for calculating the solute uptake by a randomly dispersed root system developing in a finite volume of soil. Plant and Soil, 38, 621–635. , &
- 1995. Soil Nutrient Bioavailability: a Mechanistic Approach. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- 2000. MassFlowDyn I: a carbon transport and partitioning model for root system architecture. Annals of Botany, 85, 869–886. , , , &
- 2004. Protozoa and plant growth: the microbial loop in soil revisited. New Phytologist, 162, 617–631.
- 2000. Molecular analysis of ammonia oxidation and denitrification in natural environments. FEMS Microbiology Reviews, 24, 673–690. , , , &
- 2002. Site-specific recombination-based genetic system for reporting transient or low-level gene expression. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 68, 3588–3596. , , &
- 2003. Dissecting Arabidopsis lateral root development. Trends in Plant Science, 8, 165–171. , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Genes and signalling in root development. New Phytologist, 158, 11–38. &
- 2002. Root exudates as mediators of mineral acquisition in low-nutrient environments. Plant and Soil, 245, 35–47. &
- 1991. Models of the rhizosphere. II. A quasi three-dimensional simulation of the microbial population dynamics around a growing root releasing soluble exudates. Plant and Soil, 138, 147–158.
- 1993. The rhizosphere and plant nutrition: a quantitative approach. Plant and Soil, 156, 1–20.
- 1998. Interactions between root exudates, mineral nutrition and plant growth. In: Inherent Variation in Plant Growth: Physiological Mechanisms and Ecological Consequences (eds H.Lambers, H.Poorter & M.M.I.Van Vuuren), pp. 159–175. Backhuys, New York.
- 2001. Modelling the rhizosphere. In: The Rhizosphere: Biochemistry and Organic Substances at the Soil–Plant Interface (eds R.Pinton, Z.Varanini & P.Nannipieri), pp. 327–372. Marcel Dekker, New York. &
- 2000. A mathematical model of root uptake of cations incorporating root turnover, distribution within the plant, and recycling of absorbed species. European Journal of Soil Science, 51, 643–653. &
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 13, 77–81. , &
- 1988. Rootmap: a model in 3-dimensional coordinates of the growth and structure of fibrous root systems. Plant and Soil, 105, 169–178.
- 1975. Comparison of the effects of a localized supply of phosphate, nitrate, ammonium and potassium on growth of seminal root system, and shoot, in barley. New Phytologist, 75, 479–490.
- 2003. Is there an optimal root architecture for nitrate capture in leaching environments? Plant Cell and Environment, 26, 835–844. , &
- 2002. Simulation of field data by a basic three-dimensional model of interactive root growth. Plant and Soil, 239, 39–54. , &
- 2004. Simulating form and function of root systems: efficiency of nitrate uptake is dependent on root system architecture and the spatial and temporal variability of nitrate supply. Functional Ecology, 18, 204–211. , &
- 2000. Building roots in a changing environment: implications for root longevity. New Phytologist, 147, 33–42. , , &
- 2002. Root system architecture determines fitness in an Arabidopsis mutant in competition for immobile phosphate ions but not for nitrate ions. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B–Biological Sciences, 269, 2017–2022. , , &
- 1986. Prediction of phosphorus uptake by two tomato cultivars growing under insufficient and sufficient phosphorus soil-conditions using a mechanistic mathematical-model. Plant and Soil, 94, 87–97. , &
- 2002. Local and long-range signaling pathways regulating plant responses to nitrate. Annual Review of Plant Biology, 53, 203–224.
- 1997. Mathematical Models in the Applied Sciences. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2003. Phosphorus (P) uptake and growth of a root hairless barley mutant (bald root barley, brb) and wild type in low- and high-P soils. Plant, Cell and Environment, 26, 1759–1766. &
- 2000. The importance of root gravitropism for inter-root competition and phosphorus acquisition efficiency: results from a geometric simulation model. Plant and Soil, 218, 159–171. , &
- 2000. Representing and encoding plant architecture: a review. Annals of Forest Science, 57, 413–438.
- 2003. Non-invasive imaging of roots with high resolution X-ray micro-tomography. Plant and Soil, 255, 351–359. , , , , &
- 2003. Origins of root-mediated pH changes in the rhizosphere and their responses to environmental constraints: a review. Plant and Soil, 248, 43–59. , , &
- 2004. From weeds to crops: genetic analysis of root development in cereals. Trends in Plant Science, 9, 42–48. , , &
- 2004. The plastic plant: root responses to heterogeneous supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist, 162, 9–24.
- 2002. Current capabilities and future needs of root water and nutrient uptake modeling. Advances in Agronomy, 77, 103–183. &
- 1995. Plant nutrition and growth: basic principles. Plant and Soil, 169, 15–20. &
- 1993a. Geostatistical patterns of soil heterogeneity around individual perennial plants. Journal of Ecology, 81, 683–692. &
- 1996. Integrating resource heterogeneity and plant plasticity: modelling nitrate and phosphate uptake in a patchy soil environment. Journal of Ecology, 84, 891–903. &
- 2003. Organic acid behavior in soils: misconceptions and knowledge gaps. Plant and Soil, 248, 31–41. , , &
- 2004. Plant and mycorrhizal regulation of rhizodeposition. New Phytologist, 163, 459–480. , &
- 1997. Modelling and simulation of the architecture and development of the oil-palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.) root system. 1. The model. Plant and Soil, 190, 217–233. &
- 1999. A model of phosphate solubilization by organic anion excretion from plant roots. European Journal of Soil Science, 50, 369–378.
- 2002. Use of modelling to understand nutrient acquisition by plants. Plant and Soil, 247, 123–130.
- 1995. Solubilization of phosphate by rice plants growing in reduced soil: prediction of the amount solubilized and the resultant increase in uptake. European Journal of Soil Science, 46, 247–255. &
- 2002. Bioreporters in microbial ecology. Current Opinion in Microbiology, 5, 259–265. &
- 2004. Fluorescence microscopy for visualization of soil microorganisms: a review. Biology and Fertility of Soils, 39, 301–311. , &
- 2002. Nitrate and phosphate availability and distribution have different effects on root system architecture of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal, 29, 751–760. , , &
- 2003. The role of nutrient availability in regulating root architecture. Current Opinion in Plant Biology, 6, 280–287. , &
- 1997. SimRoot: modelling and visualization of root systems. Plant and Soil, 188, 139–151. , , &
- 2002. Intra-plant versus inter-plant root competition in beans: avoidance, resource matching or tragedy of the commons. Plant Ecology, 160, 235–247. , &
- 1995. Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants. Academic Press, London.
- 1983. The diffusion of two interacting solutes in soil. Journal of Soil Science, 34, 677–691.
- 1992. Towards the quantitative control of crop production and quality. 1. The role of computer-models in soil and plant research. Journal of Plant Nutrition, 15, 1131–1150.
- 1989. A simulation-model of the three-dimensional architecture of the maize root-system. Plant and Soil, 119, 147–154. , &
- 2004. Root Typ: a generic model to depict and analyse the root system architecture. Plant and Soil, 258, 103–119. , , , , &
- 2003. Tales from the underground: molecular plant–rhizobacteria interactions. Plant, Cell and Environment, 26, 189–199. , &
- 2004. Modeling plant growth development. Current Opinion in Plant Biology, 7, 79–83.
- 1999. Adaptation of Pseudomonas fluorescens to the plant rhizosphere. Environmental Microbiology, 1, 243–257.
- 1999. Plant root proliferation in nitrogen-rich patches confers competitive advantage. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B–Biological Sciences, 266, 431–435. , , &
- 1998. Responses of wild plants to nutrient patches in relation to growth rate and life-form. In: Variation in Plant Growth (eds H.Lambers, H.Poorter & M.M.I.Van Vuuren), pp. 237–257. Backhuys, Leiden. &
- 2004a. A model for water uptake by plant roots. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 228, 155–171. &
- 2004b. A mathematical model for water and nutrient uptake by plant root systems. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 228, 173–184. &
- 2001. A mathematical model of plant nutrient uptake. Journal of Mathematical Biology, 42, 347–360. , &
- 2001. Root gravitropism and below-ground competition among neighbouring plants: a modelling approach. Annals of Botany, 88, 929–940. , , , , &
- 1984. Generalized kinetic-analysis of ion-driven cotransport systems: a unified interpretation of selective ionic effects on Michaelis parameters. Journal of Membrane Biology, 77, 123–152. , , &
- 2002. The suitability of pde-solvers in rhizosphere modeling, exemplified by three mechanistic rhizosphere models. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, 165, 713–718. , &
- 1995. A mathematical model for dispersal of bacterial inoculants colonizing the wheat rhizosphere. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 27, 1307–1318. , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Transient three-dimensional modeling of soil water and solute transport with simultaneous root growth, root water and nutrient uptake. Plant and Soil, 202, 281–293. , &
- 2000. Solute Movement in the Rhizosphere. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 2001. Cell sampling and analysis (SiCSA): metabolites measured at single cell resolution. Journal of Experimental Botany, 52, 623–630. &
- 1995. An experimental procedure for obtaining input parameters for the ‘ROOTMAP’ root simulation program for peas (Pisum sativum L). Plant and Soil, 172, 1–16. , &
- 2003. Architectural analysis and synthesis of the plum tree root system in an orchard using a quantitative modelling approach. Plant and Soil, 251, 1–11. , , &
- 2004. Modelling applicability of fractal analysis to efficiency of soil exploration by roots. Annals of Botany, 94, 119–128. , &
- 2004. Modelling the growth and water uptake function of plant root systems: a review. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research, 55, 501–523. &
- 2004. Interactions and self-organization in the soil-microbe complex. Science, 304, 1634–1637. &
- 2001. New methods and models for characterising structural heterogeneity of soil. Soil and Tillage Research, 61, 33–45. , &
- 2002. A lattice BGK model for advection and anisotropic dispersion equation. Advances in Water Resources, 25, 1–8. , , &
- 1998. An Arabidopsis MADS box gene that controls nutrient-induced changes in root architecture. Science, 279, 407–409. &