Magnitude and sources of uncertainties in soil organic carbon (SOC) stock assessments at various scales
Version of Record online: 22 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 British Society of Soil Science
European Journal of Soil Science
Special Issue: Soil Inventory and Monitoring
Volume 60, Issue 5, pages 723–739, October 2009
How to Cite
Goidts, E., Van Wesemael, B. and Crucifix, M. (2009), Magnitude and sources of uncertainties in soil organic carbon (SOC) stock assessments at various scales. European Journal of Soil Science, 60: 723–739. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2389.2009.01157.x
- Issue online: 15 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 22 JUL 2009
- Received 22 May 2008; accepted after revision 27 February 09
- 2003. Convention d’etude Pollusol: etablissement et cartographie des teneurs bruits de fond en elements traces metalliques et micropolluants organiques dans les sols de la Region wallonne. Rapport final du groupe d’etude A P P P, “Application de la pedologie aux problemes de pollution” (SPAQuE - UCL - FUSAGx - BEAGx - CAFX), p. 125. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Comparing pedotransfer functions to estimate soil bulk density in northern Belgium. Pédologie - Themata, 5, 67–70. , & .
- 2002. Quantifying laboratory and field variability to assess potential for carbon sequestration. Communications in Soil Science & Plant Analysis, 33(9 & 10), 1629–1642. , & .
- 2003. Carbon and Nitrogen Storage in a Typic Albaqualf as Affected by Assessment Method. Communications in Soil Science & Plant Analysis, 34(11 & 12), 1637–1655. & .
- 2003. Spatial Variability of Soil Carbon in Forested and Cultivated Sites: Implications for Change Detection. Journal of Environmental Quality, 32, 278–286. , & .
- 1968. Système des cartes perforées de la section “caractérisation du sol” de la cartographie des sols de Belgique. Pédologie, 18(1), 208–227. , & .
- 2005. Predictive quality of pedotransfer functions for estimating bulk density of forest soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 69, 500–510. , , , & .
- DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) 2003. Sampling strategies and soil monitoring. Final Report on Project SP 0514, DEFRA, London.
- 1996. The spatial variability of some aspects of topsoil fertility in two Belgian fields. Computers & Electronics in Agriculture, 14, 179–196. , & .
- 1999. Soil organic carbon recovery by the Walkley-Black method in a typic hapludoll. Communications in Soil Science & Plant Analysis, 30, 739–745. .
- 2008. Improved estimation of soil organic carbon storage uncertainty using first-order Taylor series approximation. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 72, 1708–1710. , , , & .
- 2007. Spatial and vertical variation of soil carbon at two grassland sites - Imlications for measuring soil carbon stocks. Geoderma , 141, 272–282. , , , & .
- EC 2006. Proposal for a Directive of the european parliament and of the council establishing a framework for the protection of soil and amending Directive 2004/35/EC - European Community, Brussels (COM(2006)232 final).
- 2002. Assessment of a Method to Measure Temporal Change in Soil Carbon Storage. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 66, 1687–1695. , & .
- 2003. Accounting for changes in soil carbon under the Kyoto Protocol : need for improved long-term data sets to reduce uncertainty in model projections. Soil Use & Management, 19, 265–269. & .
- 2006. RothCUK - a dynamic modelling system for estimating changes in soil C from mineral soils at 1-km resolution in the UK. Soil Use & Management, 22, 274–288. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Carbon sequestration in the agricultural soils of Europe. Geoderma, 122, 1–23. , , & .
- 1999. Soil carbon inventories under a bioenergy crop (switchgrass): measurement limitations. Journal of Environmental Quality, 28, 1359–1365. & .
- 2000. Spatial variability of agricultural soil fertility parameters in a gleyic podzol of Belgium. Precision Agriculture, 1, 319–326. , , & .
- 2007. Regional assessment of soil organic carbon changes under agriculture in southern Belgium (1955–2005). Geoderma, 141, 341–354. & .
- 1960. On the exact variance of products. Journal of The American Statistical Association, 55, 708–713. .
- 1994. Scale-dependent correlation between topsoil copper and cobalt concentrations in Scotland. European Journal of Soil Science, 45, 79–95. & .
- 1964. Monte Carlo Methods. Methuen London. & .
- 1992. Updated legend of Belgium soils map. Technical report. Soil Science Department, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences of Gembloux, Gembloux. .
- 1998. Uncertainty analysis in environmental modelling under a change of spatial scale. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 50, 255–264. .
- 2002. Sensivity analysis of the RothC soil carbon model (Ver. 26.3 Excel)., National Carbon Accounting - Technical report no.30, Australian Greenhouse Office, Canberra, ACT, Australia , , & .
- 1990. Sample size requirements for the determination of changes in soil nutrient pools. Soil Science, 150, 637–644. , & .
- 1998. Comparison between analytical methods for organic carbon and organic matter determination in sandy spodosols of France. Communications in Soil Science & Plant Analysis, 29, 2227–2233. , & .
- 1989. Some results comparing Monte Carlo simulation and first order Taylor series approximation for steady groundwater flow. Stochastic Hydrology & Hydraulics, 3, 179–190. .
- 1994. Spatial patterns of soil organic carbon in the contiguous United States. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 58, 439–455. .
- 1966. Notes on the use of propagation of error formulas. Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards - C. Engineering & Instrumentation, 70C, 263–273. .
- 2003. Statistical assessment of a paired-site approach for verification of carbon and nitrogen sequestration on Wisconsin Conservation Reserve Program land. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 58, 58–67. , & .
- 2004. Scale and location dependent correlation of nitrous oxide emissions with soil properties: an analysis using wavelets. European Journal of Soil Science, 55, 611–625. , , , , & .
- 2005. Exploring scale-dependent correlation of soil properties by nested sampling. European Journal of Soil Science, 56, 307–317. .
- 2007. Variable carbon recovery of Walkley-Black analysis and implications for national soil organic carbon accounting. European Journal of Soil Science, 58, 1244–1253. , , , , & .
- 1981. Handbook of chemistry & physics: a ready-reference book of chemical and physical data (ed. D.R.Lide), 77thedn. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- 2000. Uncertainties and error propagation - Part 1. In Manual on Uncertainties, Graphing, and the Vernier Caliper. Institute of Technology, Rochester. .
- 1990. Methods for determining organic carbon in podzolic sands. Communications in Soil Science & Plant Analysis, 21, 457–470. , , & .
- 1979. Multivariate Analysis. p. 521. Academic Press, London. , & .
- 2008. A multiple regression approach to assess the spatial distribution of Soil Organic Carbon (SOC) at the regional scale (Flanders, Belgium). Geoderma, 143, 1–13. , , , &
- 1984. Classification and distribution of soils containing rock fragments in the United States. In: J.D.Nichols, P.L.Brown and W.J.Grant (Eds), Erosion and Productivity of Soils Containing Rock Fragments. Soil Science Society of America Special Publication No. 13, pp 1–6, SSSA, Madison, WI. & .
- 1997. Carbon in the vegetation and soils of Great Britain. Journal of Environmental Management, 49, 413–433. & .
- 2007. National and sub-national assessments of soil organic carbon stocks and changes: The GEFSOC modelling system. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 122, 3–12 , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. A soil sampling protocol to minimise the spatial variability in soil test values in New Zealand hill country. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research, 43, 367–375. , & .
- 2008. Soil monitoring in Europe: a review of existing systems and requirements for harmonisation. Science of the Total Environment, 391, 1–12. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Sensitivity and uncertainty analysis coupled with automatic calibration for a distributed watershed model. Journal of Hydrology, 306, 127–145. & .
- 2003. Uncertainty in estimating land use and management impacts on soil organic carbon storage for US agricultural lands between 1982 and 1997. Global Change Biology, 9, 1521–1542. , , & .
- 2006. Bias and variance in model results associated with spatial scaling of measurements for parameterization in regional assessments. Global Change Biology, 12, 516–523. , & .
- 2008. Parameter and input data uncertainty estimation for the assessment of long-term soil organic carbon dynamics. Environmental Modelling & Software, 23(2), 125–134. , , & .
- 2004. Verification of soil carbon sequestration: sample requirements. Environmental Management, 33(suppl. 1), S416–S425. , & .
- 1995. Mathematical Statistics and Data Analysis - Second Edition. pages 149–153. Duxbury Press, Berkeley, CA. .
- 1993. The spatial variability of soil resources following long-term disturbance. Oecologia, 96, 451–456. , & .
- 1981. Simulation and the Monte Carlo Method. Wiley, New York. .
- 2008. Will European soil-monitoring networks be able to detect changes in topsoil organic carbon content? Global Change Biology, 14, 2432–2442. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Estimating variability in soil organic carbon storage using the method of statistical differentials. Soil Science, 167, 194–200. & .
- 2006. Regional simulation of long-term organic carbon stock changes in cropland soils using the DNDC model: 1. Large-scale model validation against a spatially explicit data set. Soil Use & Management, 22, 342–351. , , , & .
- 2003. Carbon stock changes and carbon sequestration potential of Flemish cropland soils. Global Change Biology, 9, 1193–1203. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. How long before a change in soil organic carbon can be detected? Global Change Biology, 10, 1878–1883. .
- 1951. Soil Survey Manual - U.S. Dept. Agriculture Handbook No. 18. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C. .
- 1995. Biometry: the principles and practice of statistics in biological research. Third Edition. Freeman W.H. & Company, New York. & .
- 1991. A comparison of some methods for soil organic carbon determination. Communications in Soil Science & Plant Analysis, 22, 943–954. & .
- 1998. Loss-on-ignition estimates of organic matter and relationships to organic carbon in fluvial sediments Hydrobiologia, 389, 153–167. .
- 2004. Uncertainty analysis of soil organic carbon stock change in Canadian cropland from 1991 to 2001. Global Change Biology, 10, 983–994. , , & .
- 1934. An examination of the Djegtareff method for determining soil organic matter and a proposed modification of the chromic acid titration method. Soil Science, 37, 29–38. & .
- 1996. Relationships between three measures of organic matter or carbon in soils of eucalypt plantations in Tasmania. Australian Journal of Soil Science, 34, 545–553. , & .
- 1999). Error Propagation - From MathWorld - A Wolfram Web Resource [WWW document]. URL http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ErrorPropagation.html [accessed December 2007] . (
- 1971. The method of least squares - Lecture notes 18. Department of Surveying Engineering, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, N.B., Canada. & .
- 2000. Spatial variability: enhancing the mean estimate of organic and inorganic carbon in a sampling unit. In Assessment Methods for Soil Carbon. ed. R.Lal, J.M.Kimble, R.F.Follett, & B.A. Stewart, CRC Press LLC, Florida. pp. 69–86. , & .
- 2008. Spatially explicit historical land use land cover and soil organic carbon transformations in Southern Illinois. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 123(4), 280–292. & .
- 1999. Biostatistical Analysis - Fourth Edition. Prentice-Hall, New Jersey. .
- 2004. Geostatistical and GIS analyses on soil organic carbon concentrations in grassland of southeastern Ireland drom two different periods. Geoderma, 119, 261–275. & .
- 2007. Zoning of forest health conditions based on a set of soil, topographic and vegetation parameters. Forest Ecology & Management, 248, 43–55. , & .