The role of healthcare support workers in providing palliative and end-of-life care in the community: a systematic literature review
Version of Record online: 13 SEP 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Health & Social Care in the Community
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 225–235, May 2013
How to Cite
Herber, O. R. and Johnston, B. M. (2013), The role of healthcare support workers in providing palliative and end-of-life care in the community: a systematic literature review. Health & Social Care in the Community, 21: 225–235. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2524.2012.01092.x
- Issue online: 2 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 13 SEP 2012
- Accepted for publication 20 July 2012
- Audit Scotland (2008) Review of Palliative Care Services in Scotland. Audit Scotland, Edinburgh.
- 2003) The challenges of searching for and retrieving qualitative studies. Western Journal of Nursing Research25 (2), 153–178. , , , , & (
- 1991) Nurses caring for the terminally ill in the community: a review of the literature. International Journal of Nursing Studies28 (1), 89–101. (
- 2009) Healthcare Support Workers in Scotland: Evaluation of a National Pilot of Standards and Listing in Three NHS Borders. Scottish Government Social Research, Edinburgh. & (
- 2001) A support group for nursing assistants: caring for nursing home residents at the end of life. Geriatric Nursing22 (6), 299–307. & (
- 2010) Home care for the dying people. Journal of the American Medical Director Association11 (1), 7–8. , & (
- 2003) Family caregivers’ sleep loss and depression over time. Cancer Nursing26 (4), 253–259. (
- 2000) End-of-Life Ethics in the Nursing Assistant. Springer, New York. , , & (
- 2000) Macmillan carer schemes in England: results of a multicentre evaluation. Palliative Medicine14 (2), 129–139. , & (
- Cochrane Collaboration (2009) Cochrane Collaboration Open Learning Material for Reviewers. Cochrane Collaboration.
- 2006) Knowledge of rural nurses’ aides about end-of-life care. Family & Community Health29, 229–241. , , , & (
- Department of Health (1990) NHS and Community Care Act. Her Majesty’s Stationery Office (HMSO), London.
- Department of Health (2010) End of life care strategy. Second annual report Available at: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/@ps/documents/digitalasset/dh_118955.pdf (accessed on 11/5/2011).
- Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS) (2000) Partnership in Caring: A Review of Palliative Care Services. DHSSPS, Belfast.
- 2009) The role of the home-care worker in palliative and end-of-life care in the community setting: a literature review. International Journal of Palliative Nursing15 (11), 526–532. & (
- 2010) Providing palliative and end-of-life care in the community: the role of the home-care worker. International Journal of Palliative Nursing16 (4), 195–203. & (
- 1998) The role of the Macmillan carer in a new community care service. International Journal of Palliative Nursing4 (1), 6–13. , , & (
- 2006) Battle on the home care front: perceptions of home care workers of factors influencing staff retention in Northern Ireland. Health and Social Care in the Community15 (1), 67–76. & (
- 2006) A unique approach to supportive palliative care. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing8 (3), 164–171. & (
- 2000) Care of the dying in long-term care settings. Death and Dying16 (2), 225–237. & (
- 2002) Appraising the evidence: reviewing disparate data systematically. Qualitative Health Research12 (9), 1284–1299. , , , & (
- 2000) Place of care in advanced cancer: a qualitative systematic literature review of patient preferences. Journal of Palliative Medicine3 (3), 287–300. & (
- 2005) Introduction to palliative care: overview of nursing developments. In: J. Lugton & R. McIntyre (Eds) Palliative Care: The Nursing Role, 2nd edn, pp. 1–32. Elsevier Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh. (
- 2009) Self-care and end-of-life care in advanced cancer: literature review. European Journal of Oncology Nursing13, 386–398. , , , , & (
- 2004) Developing integrated health and social care services for older persons in Europe. Int J Integr Care4, e10. (
- Macmillan (2011) Indicative Role Specification for a Macmillan Cancer Support Worker – Care Coordinator. Macmillan Cancer Support.
- 2005) The challenges associated with providing community care for people with complex needs in rural areas: a qualitative investigation. Health and Social Care in the Community13 (5), 462–469. , & (
- 1998) Care of the dying person in the nursing home: exploring the care assistants’ contribution. European Journal of Oncology Nursing2 (2), 80–86. & (
- National Health Service (2011) NHS staff numbers in England increase for second year running to reach just over 1.43 million, census shows today Available at: http://www.ic.nhs.uk/news-and-events/press-office/press-releases/nhs-staff-numbers-in-england-increase-for-second-year-running-to-reach-just-over-143-million-census-shows-today (accessed 10/6/2011).
- 2010) State tested nursing aides’ provision of end-of-life care in nursing homes. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing12 (4), 255–262. , , , , & (
- 2006) Managing the secrets of dying backstage: the voices of nursing home staff. OMEGA53 (3), 193–207. , & (
- 1970) Role conflict and ambiguity in complex organizations. Administrative Science Quarterly15, 150–163. , & (
- 2006) Nurses and palliation in the community: the current discourse. International Journal of Palliative Nursing12 (12), 588–594. & (
- 2007) Handbook for Synthesizing Qualitative Research. Springer Publishing Company, New York, pp. 152–162. & (
- 2007) ‘Getting into my skin’: empathy and role taking in certified nursing assistants’ care of dying residents. Applied Nursing Research20, 146–151. & (
- Scottish Government (2009) Review of nursing in the community: baseline study, Scottish Government Available at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2009/04/06105122/0 (accessed 12/2/2012).
- 2004) Finding qualitative research: an evaluation of search strategies. BMC Medical Research Methodology4, 5. , , et al. (
- 2005) Spiritual caring: end of life in a nursing home. Journal of Gerontological Nursing31, 27–35. , & (
- 2009) Comfort measures: a qualitative study of nursing home-based end-of-life care. Journal of Palliative Medicine12 (8), 719–724. & (
- 2010) District nurses’ role in palliative care provision: a realist review. International Journal of Nursing Studies47, 1167–1183. & (