Pathological and immunohistological findings and genetic aberrations of intestinal enteropathy-associated T cell lymphoma in Japan
Article first published online: 16 FEB 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Limited
Volume 58, Issue 3, pages 395–407, February 2011
How to Cite
Takeshita, M., Nakamura, S., Kikuma, K., Nakayama, Y., Nimura, S., Yao, T., Urabe, S., Ogawara, S., Yonemasu, H., Matsushita, Y., Karube, K. and Iwashita, A. (2011), Pathological and immunohistological findings and genetic aberrations of intestinal enteropathy-associated T cell lymphoma in Japan. Histopathology, 58: 395–407. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2559.2011.03768.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAR 2011
- Article first published online: 16 FEB 2011
- Date of submission 30 January 2010 Accepted for publication 20 April 2010
- coeliac disease;
- comparative genomic hybridization;
- enteropathy-associated T cell lymphoma;
- intraepithelial lymphocytes
Takeshita M, Nakamura S, Kikuma K, Nakayama Y, Nimura S, Yao T, Urabe S, Ogawara S, Yonemasu H, Matsushita Y, Karube K & Iwashita A (2011) Histopathology58, 395–407 Pathological and immunohistological findings and genetic aberrations of intestinal enteropathy-associated T cell lymphoma in Japan
Aims: To elucidate the clinicopathological findings of primary intestinal enteropathy-associated T cell lymphoma (EATL) in Japan, a non-endemic area for coeliac disease.
Methods and results: Of the 24 cases, four (17%) had large-cell lymphoma (type I), and the remaining 20 (83%) had medium-sized lymphoma (type II). Lymphoma cells of the three type I cases were CD56-positive. Only one (4%) case showed typical CD56- and CD8-negative and CD30-positive type I EATL. In type II EATL, lymphoma cells of the 16 (80%) and 11 (55%) cases were positive for CD56 and CD8, respectively. Intramucosal tumour spreading and adjacent enteropathy-like lesions were detected in 15 (71%) and 16 (76%) of 21 cases, with a severe increase of intraepithelial lymphocytes (IELs) in 12 (57%). IELs of enteropathy-like lesions in five (24%) cases expressed T-bet, with no cases of CD30-positive IELs. Characteristic findings from comparative genomic hybridization of 15 cases indicated gains of 8q2 (47%), Xp (53%) and Xq (73%), but no gain of 9q3. Regarding, human leucocyte antigen (HLA) status, six cases examined did not express the DQB1*02 allele.
Conclusions: Japanese EATL exhibited different histology, cytogenetic findings and HLA status from those of typical type I EATL. The rare incidence of coeliac disease may influence the tumour cell characteristics of EATL and IELs.