Elevation of interleukin-18 in chronic hepatitis C: implications for hepatitis C virus pathogenesis
Article first published online: 24 NOV 2008
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 128, Issue 1pt2, pages e514–e522, September 2009
How to Cite
Sharma, A., Chakraborti, A., Das, A., Dhiman, R. K. and Chawla, Y. (2009), Elevation of interleukin-18 in chronic hepatitis C: implications for hepatitis C virus pathogenesis. Immunology, 128: e514–e522. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2567.2008.03021.x
- Issue published online: 4 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 24 NOV 2008
- Received 6 September 2008; revised 7 November 2008; accepted 12 November 2008.
- 1Hepatitis C virus infection. N Engl J Med 2001; 345:41–52., .
- 2Natural history of chronic hepatitis C. Hepatology 2002; 36(Suppl. 1):S35–46..
- 3Optimizing the current therapy for chronic hepatitis C virus: peginterferon and ribavirin dosing and the utility of growth factors. Clin Liver Dis 2008; 12:487–505..
- 4IL-18: a Th1-inducing, proinflammatory cytokine and new member of the IL-1 family. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1999; 103:11–24..
- 5Cloning of a new cytokine that induces IFN-γ production by T cells. Nature 1995; 378:88–91., , et al.
- 6IL-18 accounts for both TNF-alpha- and Fas ligand-mediated hepatotoxic pathways in endotoxin-induced liver injury in mice. J Immunol 1997; 159:3961–7., , , , , , , .
- 7IL-18 augments perforin-dependent cytotoxicity of liver NK-T cells. J Immunol 1998; 161:2217–22., , .
- 8IFN-gamma-inducing factor up-regulates Fas ligand-mediated cytotoxic activity of murine natural killer cell clones. J Immunol 1996; 157:3967–73., , , , , , .
- 9Interleukin-18 protects mice against acute herpes simplex virus type 1 infection. J Virol 1999; 73:2401–9., , , , , .
- 10In vivo antiviral effect of interleukin 18 in a mouse model of vaccinia virus infection. Cytokine 1999; 11:593–9., , , , , , .
- 11Interleukin-18 inhibits human immunodeficiency virus type 1 production in peripheral blood mononuclear cells. J Infect Dis 2001; 184:560–8., , .
- 12Interleukin-18 inhibits hepatitis B virus replication in the livers of transgenic mice. J Virol 2002; 76:10702–7., , , , .
- 13Increases in intrahepatic CD68 positive cells, MAC387 positive cells, and proinflammatory cytokines (particularly interleukin 18) in chronic hepatitis C infection. Gut 2000; 46:260–9., , , .
- 14Endogenous levels of mRNA for IFNs and IFN-related genes in hepatic biopsies of chronic HCV-infected and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis patients. J Med Virol 2003; 70:581–7., , et al.
- 15Plasma levels of interleukin-18 and interleukin-18 binding protein are elevated in patients with chronic liver disease. J Clin Immunol 2002; 22:331–7., , , , , , .
- 16Analysis of a new hepatitis C virus type and its phylogenetic relationship to existing variants. J Gen Virol 1992; 73:1131–41., , , , , , , .
- 17Hepatitis C virus (HCV) specific immune responses in anti-HCV positive patients without hepatitis C viraemia. Gut 1999; 44:424–9., , , , , , .
- 18Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidium thiocyanate–phenol–chloroform extraction. Anal Biochem 1987; 162:156–9., .
- 19Gene expression of interleukin 18 in unstimulated peripheral blood mononuclear cells of patients with alcoholic cirrhosis. Gut 2001; 49:106–11., , , , , , .
- 20Histological grading and staging of chronic hepatitis. J Hepatol 1995; 22:696–9., , et al.
- 21Interferon-gamma mediates gene expression of IL-18 binding protein in nonleukocytic cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2000; 267:960–3., , , , , .
- 22Expression and release of Il-18 binding protein in response to IFN-gamma. J Immunol 2001; 167:7038–43., , et al.
- 23Clinical observation of serum IL-18, IL-10 and sIL-2R levels in patients with chronic hepatitis C pre- and post antiviral treatment. Chin Med J 2003; 116:605–8., , , , .
- 24IL18 polymorphism is associated with an increased risk of Crohn’s disease. J Gastroenterol 2002; 37:111–6., , et al.
- 25Association of polymorphisms of interleukin-18 gene promoter region with chronic hepatitis B in Chinese Han population. World J Gastroenterol 2005; 11:1594–8., , , .
- 26Cloning and mutation analysis of the human IL-18 promoter: a possible role of polymorphisms in expression regulation. J Neuroimmunol 2001; 112:146–52., , , .
- 27Association of interleukin-18 gene polymorphism (−607A/A genotype) with susceptibility to chronic hepatitis B virus infection. Tissue Antigens 2007; 70:160–3., , , .
- 28Association of IL-18 polymorphisms and plasma level with the outcome of chronic HCV infection. J Med Virol 2008; 80:607–14., , et al.
- 29Production of interleukin-18 and interleukin-12 in patients suffering from chronic hepatitis C virus infection before antiviral therapy. J Med Virol 2003; 70:588–93., , , , , , .
- 30In vivo antitumor effects of murine interferon-γ-inducing factor/interleukin-18 in mice bearing syngeneic Meth A sarcoma malignant ascites. Cancer Immunol Immunother 1997; 43:361–7., , et al.
- 31Antitumor effects of interleukin-18 gene-modified hepatocyte cell line on implanted liver carcinoma. Chin Med J 2003; 116:1475–9., , , .
- 32Spontaneous regression of hepatocellular carcinoma associated with elevated levels of interleukin 18. Am J Gastroenterol 2002; 97:774–5., , , , , .
- 33Expression of the chemokine IP-10 correlates with the accumulation of hepatic IFN-γ and IL-18 mRNA in chronic hepatitis C but not in hepatitis B. J Med Virol 2003; 70:562–70., , .
- 34Caspase-1 processes IFN-γ- inducing factor and regulates LPS-induced IFN-γ production. Nature 1997; 386:619–23., , et al.