Present address: Institute of Clinical Neuroimmunology, Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich, Marchioninistr 17, 81377 Munich, Germany.
CX3CR1-deficiency is associated with increased severity of disease in experimental autoimmune uveitis
Article first published online: 12 JAN 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 128, Issue 1, pages 25–33, September 2009
How to Cite
Dagkalis, A., Wallace, C., Hing, B., Liversidge, J. and Crane, I. J. (2009), CX3CR1-deficiency is associated with increased severity of disease in experimental autoimmune uveitis. Immunology, 128: 25–33. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2567.2009.03046.x
- Issue published online: 4 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 12 JAN 2009
- Received 15 September 2008; revised 16 November 2008, 5 December 2008; accepted 11 December 2008.
- 1Microglia in health and disease. J Neurosci Res 2005; 81:302–13., .
- 2Chemokines in innate and adaptive host defense: basic chemokinese grammar for immune cells. Annu Rev Immunol 2004; 22:891–928., .
- 3Subpopulations of mouse blood monocytes differ in maturation stage and inflammatory response. J Immunol 2004; 172:4410–7., , et al.
- 4Monocyte and macrophage heterogeneity. Nat Rev Immunol 2005; 5:953–64., .
- 5Blood monocytes consist of two principal subsets with distinct migratory properties. Immunity 2003; 19:71–82., , .
- 6Impaired monocyte migration and reduced type 1 (Th1) cytokine responses in C–C chemokine receptor 2 knockout mice. J Clin Invest 1997; 100:2552–61., , et al.
- 7Resistance to experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in mice lacking the CC chemokine receptor (CCR)2. Journal Exp Med 2000; 192:1075–80., , , , .
- 8Chemokine receptor 2 serves an early and essential role in resistance to Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2001; 98:7958–63., , , , , .
- 9Monocyte emigration from bone marrow during bacterial infection requires signals mediated by chemokine receptor CCR2. Nat Immunol 2006; 7:311–7., .
- 10Critical roles for CCR2 and MCP-3 in monocyte mobilization from bone marrow and recruitment to inflammatory sites. J Clin Invest 2007; 117:902–9., , et al.
- 11Monocyte subsets differentially employ CCR2, CCR5, and CX3CR1 to accumulate within atherosclerotic plaques. J Clin Invest 2007; 117:185–94., , et al.
- 12Experimental arthritis in CC chemokine receptor 2-null mice closely mimics severe human rheumatoid arthritis. J Clin Invest 2004; 113:856–66., , et al.
- 13Decreased atherosclerosis in CX3CR1−/− mice reveals a role for fractalkine in atherogenesis. J Clin Invest 2003; 111:333–40., , .
- 14Decreased atherosclerotic lesion formation in CX3CR1/apolipoprotein E double knockout mice. Circulation 2003; 107:1009–16., , et al.
- 15Prevention of crescentic glomerulonephritis by immunoneutralization of the fractalkine receptor CX3CR1. Kidney Int 1999; 56:612–20., , et al.
- 16Mice deficient in fractalkine are less susceptible to cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury. J Neuroimmunol 2002; 125:59–65., , et al.
- 17Monitoring of blood vessels and tissues by a population of monocytes with patrolling behavior. Science 2007; 317:666–70., , et al.
- 18Role for neuronally-derived fractalkine in mediating interactions between neurons and CX3CR1-expressing microglia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1998; 95:10896–901., , et al.
- 19Control of microglial neurotoxicity by the fractalkine receptor. Nat Neurosci 2006; 9:917–24., , et al.
- 20Production and neuroprotective functions of fractalkine in the central nervous system. Brain Res 2003; 979:65–70., , , .
- 21Fractalkine modulates TNF-alpha secretion and neurotoxicity induced by microglial activation. Glia 2000; 29:305–15., , , , .
- 22Expression of CX(3)CR1 chemokine receptors on neurons and their role in neuronal survival. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000; 97:8075–80., , , .
- 23Characterization of fractalkine in rat brain cells: migratory and activation signals for CX3CR-1-expressing microglia. J Immunol 1999; 163:1628–35., , , , .
- 24Chemokine modulation of matrix metalloproteinase and TIMP production in adult rat brain microglia and a human microglial cell line in vitro. Glia 1999; 28:183–9., .
- 25The chemokine fractalkine inhibits Fas-mediated cell death of brain microglia. J Immunol 2000; 165:397–403., , , , .
- 26CX3CR1-dependent subretinal microglia cell accumulation is associated with cardinal features of age-related macular degeneration. J Clin Invest 2007; 117:2920–8., , et al.
- 27Analysis of fractalkine receptor CX3CR1 function by targeted deletion and green fluorescent protein reporter gene insertion. Mol Cell Biol 2000; 20:4106–14., , et al.
- 28ATP mediates rapid microglial response to local brain injury in vivo. Nat Neurosci 2005; 8:752–8., , et al.
- 29Marrow-derived activated macrophages are required during the effector phase of experimental autoimmune uveoretinitis in rats. Curr Eye Res 1998; 17:426–37., , , .
- 30Constitutive retinal CD200 expression regulates resident microglia and activation state of inflammatory cells during experimental autoimmune uveoretinitis. Am J Pathol 2002; 161:1669–77., , , , , .
- 31Mechanisms for inducing nasal mucosal tolerance in experimental autoimmune uveoretinitis. Methods 2006; 38:69–76., , .
- 32Macrophages and dendritic cells in IRBP-induced experimental autoimmune uveoretinitis in B10RIII mice. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1999; 40:3177–85., , .
- 33Glial, vascular, and neuronal cytogenesis in whole-mounted cat retina. Microsc Res Tech 1997; 36:1–16..
- 34Image processing with ImageJ. Biophotonics Int 2004; 11:36–42., , .
- 35Dynamics of microglial activation: a confocal time-lapse analysis in hippocampal slices. Glia 2001; 33:256–66., , .
- 36The complex role of the chemokine receptor CCR2 in collagen-induced arthritis: implications for therapeutic targeting of CCR2 in rheumatoid arthritis. J Mol Med 2005; 83:672–81., , et al.
- 37Expression of the chemokines MIP-1α, MCP-1 and RANTES in experimental autoimmune uveitis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2001; 42:1547–52., , , , .
- 38Inflammatory mediators in uveitis: differential induction of cytokines and chemokines in Th1- versus Th2-mediated ocular inflammation. J Immunol 2002; 168:2483–92., , et al.
- 39Involvement of CCR5 in the passage of Th1-type cells across the blood–retina barrier in experimental autoimmune uveitis. J Leukoc Biol 2006; 79:435–43., , et al.
- 40Effect of anti-macrophage inflammatory protein-1α on leukocyte trafficking and disease progression in experimental autoimmune uveoretinitis. Eur J Immunol 2003; 33:402–10., , et al.
- 41Pathogenic role of retinal microglia in experimental uveoretinitis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2003; 44:22–31., , et al.
- 42Phagocytozing ameboid microglial cells studied in a mouse corpus callosum slice preparation. Glia 1996; 16:81–90., , .
- 43Resting microglial cells are highly dynamic surveillants of brain parenchyma in vivo. Science 2005; 308:1314–8., , .
- 44Constitutive and inflammatory mediator-regulated fractalkine expression in human ocular tissues and cultured cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2003; 44:1608–15., , et al.
- 45The neuronal chemokine CX3CL1/fractalkine selectively recruits NK cells that modify experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis within the central nervous system. FASEB J 2006; 20:896–905., , et al.
- 46Unique subpopulations of CD56(+) NK and NK-T peripheral blood lymphocytes identified by chemokine receptor expression repertoire. J Immunol 2001; 166:6477–82., , et al.
- 47Diminution of experimental autoimmune uveoretinitis (EAU) in mice depleted of NK cells. J Leukoc Biol 2002; 72:1117–21., , , , , .