A central role for monocytes in Toll-like receptor-mediated activation of the vasculature
Article first published online: 9 FEB 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 128, Issue 1, pages 58–68, September 2009
How to Cite
Ward, J. R., Francis, S. E., Marsden, L., Suddason, T., Lord, G. M., Dower, S. K., Crossman, D. C. and Sabroe, I. (2009), A central role for monocytes in Toll-like receptor-mediated activation of the vasculature. Immunology, 128: 58–68. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2567.2009.03071.x
- Issue published online: 4 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 9 FEB 2009
- Received 1 December 2008; revised 16 January 2009; accepted 20 January 2009.
- 1Cooperative molecular and cellular networks regulate Toll-like receptor-dependent inflammatory responses. FASEB J 2006; 20:2153–5., , et al.
- 2Agonists of Toll-like receptors 2 and 4 activate airway smooth muscle via mononuclear leukocytes. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005; 171:814–22., , , , , .
- 3A phosphatidylserine species inhibits a range of TLR, but not IL-1β, induced inflammatory responses by disruption of membrane microdomains. J Immunol 2008; 181:5606–17., , , , , , , .
- 4Identification of a key pathway required for the sterile inflammatory response triggered by dying cells. Nat Med 2007; 13:851–6., , , , , .
- 5The inflammatory response to cell death. Annu Rev Pathol 2008; 3:99–126., .
- 6Differential gene expression in coronary arteries from patients presenting with ischemic heart disease: further evidence for the inflammatory basis of atherosclerosis. Am Heart J 2005; 150:488–99., , , , , , , .
- 7Inflammation, atherosclerosis, and coronary artery disease. N Engl J Med 2005; 352:1685–95..
- 8Risk of myocardial infarction and stroke after acute infection or vaccination. N Engl J Med 2004; 351:2611–8., , , , , .
- 9Association of endotoxemia with carotid atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease: prospective results from the Bruneck Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 1999; 34:1975–81., , , , , , .
- 10The role of immune activation in endotoxin-induced atherogenesis. J Endotoxin Res 2001; 7:322–6., , , , , .
- 11Toll-like receptor 4 polymorphisms and atherogenesis. N Engl J Med 2002; 347:185–92., , , , , , , .
- 12Lack of Toll-like receptor 4 or myeloid differentiation factor 88 reduces atherosclerosis and alters plaque phenotype in mice deficient in apolipoprotein E. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2004; 101:10679–84., , et al.
- 13Translational mini-review series on Toll-like receptors: networks regulated by toll-like receptors mediate innate and adaptive immunity. Clin Exp Immunol 2007; 147:199–207., , .
- 14Toll-like receptors in health and disease: complex questions remain. J Immunol 2003; 171:1630–5., , , , , .
- 15Regulation of Toll-Like receptors in human monocytes and dendritic cells. J Immunol 2001; 166:249–55., , , , , .
- 16Bacterial lipopolysaccharide activates NF-kappaB through toll-like receptor 4 (TLR-4) in cultured human dermal endothelial cells. Differential expression of TLR-4 and TLR-2 in endothelial cells. J Biol Chem 2000; 275:11058–63., , et al.
- 17Chlamydia pneumoniae and chlamydial heat shock protein 60 stimulate proliferation of human vascular smooth muscle cells via toll-like receptor 4 and p44/p42 mitogen-activated protein kinase activation. Circ Res 2001; 89:244–50., , , , .
- 18Agonists of toll-like receptor (TLR)2 and TLR4 are unable to modulate platelet activation by adenosine diphosphate and platelet activating factor. Thromb Haemost 2005; 94:831–8., , et al.
- 19Expression of toll-like receptors in human atherosclerotic lesions: a possible pathway for plaque activation. Circulation 2002; 105:1158–61., , , .
- 20Interleukin-1beta and signaling of interleukin-1 in vascular wall and circulating cells modulates the extent of neointima formation in mice. Am J Pathol 2006; 168:1396–403., , , , , , .
- 21Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist alters the response to vessel wall injury in a porcine coronary artery model. Cardiovasc Res 2005; 68:493–501., , , , , , .
- 22Toll-Like receptor (TLR)2 and TLR4 in human peripheral blood granulocytes: a critical role for monocytes in leukocyte lipopolysaccharide responses. J Immunol 2002; 168:4701–10., , , , .
- 23Optimal induction of T helper 17 cells in humans requires T cell receptor ligation in the context of Toll-like receptor-activated monocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2007; 104:17034–9., , , , .
- 24P2X receptor characterization and IL-1/IL-1Ra release from human endothelial cells. Br J Pharmacol 2007; 151:115–27., , , , , , , .
- 25Contribution of toll-like receptors to the innate immune response to Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria. Blood 2007; 109:1574–83., , , .
- 26TLR4 antagonists for endotoxemia and beyond. Curr Opin Investig Drugs 2005; 6:496–502., .
- 27Endogenous ligands of Toll-like receptors. J Leukoc Biol 2004; 76:514–9., .
- 28Tissue factor expression in endothelial cell/monocyte cocultures stimulated by lipopolysaccharide and/or aggregated IgG. Mechanisms of cell : cell communication. J Immunol 1991; 146:1437–45., , , , , .
- 29A critical role for monocytes and CD14 in endotoxin-induced endothelial cell activation. J Exp Med 1993; 178:2193–200., , .
- 30Endothelial cells and extracellular calmodulin inhibit monocyte tumor necrosis factor release and augment neutrophil elastase release. J Biol Chem 1997; 272:11778–85., , .
- 31Cytokine profiles and T cell function in acute coronary syndromes. Atherosclerosis 2007; 190:443–51., , et al.
- 32Anakinra, a recombinant human interleukin-1 receptor antagonist, inhibits apoptosis in experimental acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 2008; 117:2670–83., , et al.
- 33Endothelium-derived Toll-like receptor-4 is the key molecule in LPS-induced neutrophil sequestration into lungs. J Clin Invest 2003; 111:1011–20., , , , , , .
- 34Tolerance to microbial TLR ligands: molecular mechanisms and relevance to disease. J Endotoxin Res 2006; 12:133–50., , , .
- 35Rapid secretion of interleukin-1beta by microvesicle shedding. Immunity 2001; 15:825–35., , , , , .
- 36IL-17 family cytokines and the expanding diversity of effector T cell lineages. Annu Rev Immunol 2007; 25:821–52., , , .
- 37TH17 cells in the big picture of immunology. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007; 120:247–54., , .
- 38Differentiation and function of Th17 T cells. Curr Opin Immunol 2007; 19:281–6., .
- 39The Th17/Treg imbalance in patients with acute coronary syndrome. Clin Immunol 2008; 127:89–97., , et al.
- 40Recognition of pneumolysin by Toll-like receptor 4 confers resistance to pneumococcal infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2003; 100:1966–71., , et al.