These authors contributed equally to this work.
Adenosine regulates CD8 T-cell priming by inhibition of membrane-proximal T-cell receptor signalling
Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 128, Issue 1pt2, pages e728–e737, September 2009
How to Cite
Linnemann, C., Schildberg, F. A., Schurich, A., Diehl, L., Hegenbarth, S. I., Endl, E., Lacher, S., Müller, C. E., Frey, J., Simeoni, L., Schraven, B., Stabenow, D. and Knolle, P. A. (2009), Adenosine regulates CD8 T-cell priming by inhibition of membrane-proximal T-cell receptor signalling. Immunology, 128: e728–e737. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2567.2009.03075.x
- Issue online: 4 AUG 2009
- Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2009
- Received 11 July 2008; revised 5 November 2008; accepted 29 January 2009.
- 1CD8+ T cell effector mechanisms in resistance to infection. Annu Rev Immunol 2000; 18:275–308., , .
- 2Modulation of IL-1-induced neutrophil migration by dexamethasone and lipocortin 1. J Immunol 1993; 150:992–9., .
- 3Aspirin-triggered lipoxin A4 and B4 analogs block extracellular signal-regulated kinase-dependent TNF-alpha secretion from human T cells. J Immunol 2003; 170:6266–72., , , , .
- 4Resolvins and protectins in the termination program of acute inflammation. Trends Immunol 2007; 28:176–83., .
- 5Brain adenosine concentration during hypoxia in rats. Am J Physiol 1981; 241:H235–42., , .
- 6Purine levels in the intact rat brain studies with an implanted perfused hollow fibre. Neurosci Lett 1982; 29:111–5., , , , , .
- 7Hypoxia-induced inhibition of adenosine kinase potentiates cardiac adenosine release. Circ Res 1997; 81:154–64., , , .
- 8Complex regulation of nucleoside transporter expression in epithelial and immune system cells. Mol Membr Biol 2001; 18:81–5., , , , , .
- 9Ecto-5′-nucleotidase (CD73) regulation by hypoxia-inducible factor-1 mediates permeability changes in intestinal epithelia. J Clin Invest 2002; 110:993–1002., , et al.
- 10Adenosine generation catalyzed by CD39 and CD73 expressed on regulatory T cells mediates immune suppression. J Exp Med 2007; 204:1257–65., , et al.
- 11Adenosine: an endogenous regulator of innate immunity. Trends Immunol 2004; 25:33–9., .
- 12Regulation of immune cells by local-tissue oxygen tension: HIF1 alpha and adenosine receptors. Nat Rev Immunol 2005; 5:712–21., .
- 13Adenosine up-regulates cyclooxygenase-2 in human granulocytes: impact on the balance of eicosanoid generation. J Immunol 2002; 169:5279–86., , , , .
- 14Inducible cyclooxygenase may have anti-inflammatory properties. Nat Med 1999; 5:698–701., , , , , .
- 15Role of A2a extracellular adenosine receptor-mediated signaling in adenosine-mediated inhibition of T-cell activation and expansion. Blood 1997; 90:1600–10., , , .
- 16A2A adenosine receptor induction inhibits IFN-gamma production in murine CD4+ T cells. J Immunol 2005; 174:1073–80., , .
- 17Memory of extracellular adenosine A2A purinergic receptor-mediated signaling in murine T cells. J Biol Chem 1997; 272:25881–9., , , , .
- 18The ‘danger’ sensors that STOP the immune response: the A2 adenosine receptors? Trends Immunol 2005; 26:299–304., .
- 19Evidence that a significant number of naive T cells enter non-lymphoid organs as part of a normal migratory pathway. Eur J Immunol 2006; 36:1423–33., , , , .
- 20Efficient presentation of exogenous antigen by liver endothelial cells to CD8+ T cells results in antigen-specific T-cell tolerance. Nat Med 2000; 6:1348–54., , et al.
- 21Bone marrow as a priming site for T-cell responses to blood-borne antigen. Nat Med 2003; 9:1151–7., , et al.
- 22Characterization of adenosine deaminase binding to human CD26 on T cells and its biologic role in immune response. J Immunol 1996; 156:1349–55., , , , , , .
- 23The CD28 signaling pathway regulates glucose metabolism. Immunity 2002; 16:769–77., , et al.
- 24Apoptosis induced by modified ribonucleosides in human cell culture systems. FEBS Lett 1998; 433:265–8., , , .
- 25Steady-state and inflammatory dendritic-cell development. Nat Rev Immunol 2007; 7:19–30., .
- 26Tolerogenic maturation of liver sinusoidal endothelial cells promotes B7-homolog 1-dependent CD8+ T cell tolerance. Hepatology (Baltimore, Md) 2008; 47:296–305., , , , , .
- 27Location of cAMP-dependent protein kinase type I with the TCR–CD3 complex. Science 1994; 263:84–7., , , , , .
- 28Adenosine acts through an A3 receptor to prevent the induction of murine anti-CD3-activated killer T cells. Int J Cancer 2002; 99:386–95., , , , .
- 29Genetic evidence for the involvement of the lck tyrosine kinase in signal transduction through the T cell antigen receptor. Cell 1992; 70:585–93., .
- 30The human p50csk tyrosine kinase phosphorylates p56lck at Tyr-505 and down regulates its catalytic activity. EMBO J 1992; 11:2919–24., , et al.
- 31Cloning of a complementary DNA for a protein-tyrosine kinase that specifically phosphorylates a negative regulatory site of p60c-src. Nature 1991; 351:69–72., , , , .
- 32Positive and negative regulation of T-cell activation through kinases and phosphatases. Biochem J 2003; 1:15–27., .
- 33Inhibition of the EGF-activated MAP kinase signaling pathway by adenosine 3′,5′-monophosphate. Science 1993; 262:1065–9., , , , , .
- 34Mechanism of inhibition of Raf-1 by protein kinase A. Mol Cell Biol 1994; 14:6696–703., , et al.
- 35Inhibition of CD3-linked phospholipase C by phorbol ester and by cAMP is associated with decreased phosphotyrosine and increased phosphoserine contents of PLC-gamma 1. J Biol Chem 1992; 267:1496–501., , .
- 36Regulation by cAMP-dependent protein kinase of a G-protein-mediated phospholipase C. Nature 1996; 382:83–7., .
- 37Inducibility and negative autoregulation of CREM: an alternative promoter directs the expression of ICER, an early response repressor. Cell 1993; 75:875–86., , , .
- 38cAMP inducibility of transcriptional repressor ICER in developing mature human T lymphocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1996; 93:3536–41., , , .
- 39A2A adenosine receptor protects tumors from antitumor T cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2006; 103:13132–7., , et al.
- 40cAMP inhibits both Ras and Rap1 activation in primary human T lymphocytes, but only Ras inhibition correlates with blockade of cell cycle progression. Blood 2003; 101:998–1006., , , .
- 41International Union of Pharmacology XXV. Nomenclature and classification of adenosine receptors. Pharmacol Rev 2001; 53:527–52., , , , .
- 42Purine and pyrimidine receptors. Cell Mol Life Sci 2007; 64:1471–83..
- 43Role of G-protein-coupled adenosine receptors in downregulation of inflammation and protection from tissue damage. Nature 2001; 414:916–20., .
- 44Physiological control of immune response and inflammatory tissue damage by hypoxia-inducible factors and adenosine A2A receptors. Annu Rev Immunol 2004; 22:657–82., , , , , , , .
- 45Activation of Th1 and Tc1 cell adenosine A2A receptors directly inhibits IL-2 secretion in vitro and IL-2-driven expansion in vivo. Blood 2005; 105:4707–14., , , , , , .
- 46Cutting edge: critical role for A2A adenosine receptors in the T cell-mediated regulation of colitis. J Immunol 2006; 177:2765–9., , , , , .
- 47The site of primary T cell activation is a determinant of the balance between intrahepatic tolerance and immunity. J Clin Invest 2004; 114:701–12., , , , , .
- 48Resting dendritic cells induce peripheral CD8+ T cell tolerance through PD-1 and CTLA-4. Nat Immunol 2005; 6:280–6., , , , .
- 49A2A receptor signaling promotes peripheral tolerance by inducing T-cell anergy and the generation of adaptive regulatory T cells. Blood 2008; 111:251–9., , , , , , , .
- 50Activation of adenosine 2A receptors attenuates allograft rejection and alloantigen recognition. J Immunol 2007; 178:4240–9., , , , , , , .