The secreted form of p28 subunit of interleukin (IL)-27 inhibits biological functions of IL-27 and suppresses anti-allogeneic immune responses
Version of Record online: 23 MAR 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 128, Issue 1pt2, pages e816–e825, September 2009
How to Cite
Shimozato, O., Sato, A., Kawamura, K., Chiyo, M., Ma, G., Li, Q. and Tagawa, M. (2009), The secreted form of p28 subunit of interleukin (IL)-27 inhibits biological functions of IL-27 and suppresses anti-allogeneic immune responses. Immunology, 128: e816–e825. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2567.2009.03088.x
- Issue online: 4 AUG 2009
- Version of Record online: 23 MAR 2009
- Received 4 December 2008; revised 15 February 2009; accepted 16 February 2009.
- 1IL-27, a heterodimeric cytokine composed of EBI3 and p28 protein, induces proliferation of naive CD4+ T cells. Immunity 2002; 16:779–90., , et al.
- 2IL-27 regulates IL-12 responsiveness of naive CD4+ T cells through Stat1-dependent and -independent mechanisms. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2003; 100:15047–52., , , .
- 3Augmentation of effector CD8+ T cell generation with enhanced granzyme B expression by IL-27. J Immunol 2005; 175:1686–93., , , , , .
- 4Adjuvant activities of novel cytokines, interleukin-23 (IL-23) and IL-27, for induction of hepatitis C virus-specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes in HLA-A*0201 transgenic mice. J Virol 2004; 78:9093–104., , , , , , .
- 5Induction of IgG2a class switching in B cells by IL-27. J Immunol 2004; 173:2479–85., , et al.
- 6WSX-1 and glycoprotein 130 constitute a signal-transducing receptor for IL-27. J Immunol 2004; 172:2225–31., , et al.
- 7Development of Th1-type immune responses requires the type I cytokine receptor TCCR. Nature 2000; 407:916–20., , , , , , , .
- 8An indispensable role for STAT1 in IL-27-induced T-bet expression but not proliferation of naive CD4+ T cells. J Immunol 2004; 173:3871–7., , , , , .
- 9IL-27 and IFN-alpha signal via Stat1 and Stat3 and induce T-Bet and IL-12Rbeta2 in naive T cells. J Interferon Cytokine Res 2003; 23:513–22., , , .
- 10Impaired Th1 responses in mice deficient in Epstein–Barr virus-induced gene 3 and challenged with physiological doses of Leishmania major. Eur J Immunol 2005; 35:1106–12., , , , , .
- 11WSX-1 is required for the initiation of Th1 responses and resistance to L. major infection. Immunity 2001; 15:569–78., , et al.
- 12The IL-27R (WSX-1) is required to suppress T cell hyperactivity during infection. Immunity 2003; 19:645–55., , et al.
- 13Understanding the pro- and anti-inflammatory properties of IL-27. J Immunol 2004; 173:715–20., , .
- 14Human IL-12 p40 homodimer binds to the IL-12 receptor but does not mediate biologic activity. J Immunol 1995; 154:116–27., , et al.
- 15Novel p19 protein engages IL-12p40 to form a cytokine, IL-23, with biological activities as well as distinct from IL-12. Immunity 2000; 13:715–25., , et al.
- 16Mouse interleukin-12 (IL-12) p40 homodimer: a potent IL-12 antagonist. Eur J Immunol 1995; 25:200–6., , et al.
- 17Local production of the p40 subunit of interleukin 12 suppresses T-helper 1-mediated immune responses and prevents allogeneic myoblast rejection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1996; 93:9085–9., , , , , , .
- 18The secreted form of p40 subunit of interleukin (IL) -12 inhibits IL-23 functions and abrogates IL-23-mediated antitumour effects. Immunology 2006; 117:22–8., , et al.
- 19Expression of IL-27 in murine carcinoma cells produces antitumor effects and induces protective immunity in inoculated host animals. Int J Cancer 2005; 115:437–42., , , , , , .
- 20Use of a high-throughput umu-microplate test system for rapid detection of genotoxicity produced by mutagenic carcinogens and airborne particle matter. Environ Mol Mutagen 2004; 43:10–9., , , , .
- 21Antitumor effects produced by transduction of dendritic cells-derived heterodimeric cytokine genes in murine colon carcinoma cells. Anticancer Res 2004; 24:3763–7., , , , .
- 22Potent antitumor activity of interleukin-27. Cancer Res 2004; 64:1152–6., , , , , , , .
- 23IL-27 mediates complete regression of orthotopic primary and metastatic murine neuroblastoma tumors: role for CD8+ T cells. J Immunol 2004; 173:7170–82., , et al.
- 24A novel interleukin-12 p40-related protein induced by latent Epstein–Barr virus infection in B lymphocytes. J Virol 1996; 70:1143–53., , , , , , .
- 25Interleukin 27 negatively regulates the development of interleukin 17-producing T helper cells during chronic inflammation of the central nervous system. Nat Immunol 2006; 7:937–45., , et al.
- 26Antiangiogenic and antitumor activities of IL-27. J Immunol 2006; 176:7317–24., , et al.
- 27Experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis: cytokines, effector T cells, and antigen-presenting cells in a prototypical Th1-mediated autoimmune disease. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2003; 3:86–93..
- 28IL-27 subunits and its receptor (WSX-1) mRNAs are markedly up-regulated in inflammatory cells in the CNS during experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Neurol Sci 2005; 232:3–9., , , , .
- 29EBV-induced gene 3 transcription is induced by TLR signaling in primary dendritic cells via NF-κB activation. J Immunol 2005; 174:2814–24., , et al.
- 30Production of IL-27 and other IL-12 family cytokines by microglia and their subpopulations. Brain Res 2005; 1040:202–7., , , , , .
- 31Expression of IL-27 in human Th1-associated granulomatous diseases. J Pathol 2004; 202:164–71., , , , , .
- 32Expression of interleukin-12-related cytokine transcripts in inflammatory bowel disease: elevated interleukin-23p19 and interleukin-27p28 in Crohn’s disease but not in ulcerative colitis. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2004; 11:16–23., , , , , , , .
- 33Interleukin-23 promotes a distinct CD4 T cell activation state characterized by the production of interleukin-17. J Biol Chem 2003; 278:1910–4., , , , .
- 34Suppression of ongoing experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by neutralizing the function of the p28 subunit of IL-27. J Immunol 2004; 173:6465–71., , , , , .
- 35Suppression of ongoing adjuvant-induced arthritis by neutralizing the function of the p28 subunit of IL-27. J Immunol 2004; 173:1171–8., , , , .
- 36Antigen-specific T cell-mediated gene therapy in collagen-induced arthritis. J Clin Invest 2001; 107:1293–301., , et al.
- 37Adoptive immunotherapy of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis via T cell delivery of the IL-12 p40 subunit. J Immunol 2001; 167:2379–87., , et al.
- 38Novel IL-12 family members shed light on the orchestration of Th1 responses. Trends Immunol 2003; 24:207–12., , .