An integrated view of the regulation of NKG2D ligands
Version of Record online: 22 JUN 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 128, Issue 1, pages 1–6, September 2009
How to Cite
Stern-Ginossar, N. and Mandelboim, O. (2009), An integrated view of the regulation of NKG2D ligands. Immunology, 128: 1–6. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2567.2009.03147.x
- Issue online: 4 AUG 2009
- Version of Record online: 22 JUN 2009
- Received 7 May 2009; revised 6 June 2009; accepted 10 June 2009.
- 1Promiscuity and the single receptor: NKG2D. Nat Rev Immunol 2007; 7:737–44., .
- 2Complex structure of the activating immunoreceptor NKG2D and its MHC class I-like ligand MICA. Nat Immunol 2001; 2:443–51., , , , , .
- 3Conformational plasticity revealed by the cocrystal structure of NKG2D and its class I MHC-like ligand ULBP3. Immunity 2001; 15:1039–49., , , , .
- 4Cell stress-regulated human major histocompatibility complex class I gene expressed in gastrointestinal epithelium. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1996; 93:12445–50., , , , , .
- 5Recognition of stress-induced MHC molecules by intestinal epithelial gammadelta T cells. Science New York, NY 1998;279:1737–40., , , .
- 6Promoter region architecture and transcriptional regulation of the genes for the MHC class I-related chain A and B ligands of NKG2D. J Immunol 2007; 178:961–69., , , , .
- 7The DNA damage pathway regulates innate immune system ligands of the NKG2D receptor. Nature 2005; 436:1186–90., , , .
- 8Costimulation of CD8alphabeta T cells by NKG2D via engagement by MIC induced on virus-infected cells. Nat Immunol 2001; 2:255–60., , , , , .
- 9Regulation of NKG2D ligands: a purposeful but delicate affair. Nat Immunol 2008; 9:1013–15..
- 10Human cytomegalovirus glycoprotein UL16 causes intracellular sequestration of NKG2D ligands, protecting against natural killer cell cytotoxicity. J Exp Med 2003; 197:1427–39., , , , , , .
- 11Intracellular retention of the MHC class I-related chain B ligand of NKG2D by the human cytomegalovirus UL16 glycoprotein. J Immunol 2003; 170:4196–200., , , , , .
- 12Human cytomegalovirus encodes an MHC class I-like molecule (UL142) that functions to inhibit NK cell lysis. J Immunol 2005; 175:7457–65., , et al.
- 13Host immune system gene targeting by a viral miRNA. Science (New York, NY) 2007;317:376–81., , et al.
- 14Diverse herpesvirus microRNAs target the stress-induced immune ligand MICB to escape recognition by natural killer cells. Cell Host Microbe 2009; 5:376–85., , , .
- 15Effect of human cytomegalovirus on expression of MHC class I-related chains A. J Immunol 2005; 174:3098–104., , , .
- 16Down-regulation of the NKG2D ligand MICA by the human cytomegalovirus glycoprotein UL142. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2006; 346:175–81., , , .
- 17Ligands for the murine NKG2D receptor: expression by tumor cells and activation of NK cells and macrophages. Nat Immunol 2000; 1:119–26., , , , .
- 18Broad tumor-associated expression and recognition by tumor-derived gamma delta T cells of MICA and MICB. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1999; 96:6879–84., , , , , .
- 19Retinoic acid early inducible genes define a ligand family for the activating NKG2D receptor in mice. Immunity 2000; 12:721–27., , , , , , .
- 20NKG2D-deficient mice are defective in tumor surveillance in models of spontaneous malignancy. Immunity 2008; 28:571–80., , et al.
- 21Tumour-derived soluble MIC ligands impair expression of NKG2D and T-cell activation. Nature 2002; 419:734–8., , , .
- 22Evasion from NK cell immunity by MHC class I chain-related molecules expressing colon adenocarcinoma. J Immunol 2003; 171:6891–99., , , , , , .
- 23Reciprocal regulation of human natural killer cells and macrophages associated with distinct immune synapses. Blood 2007; 109:3776–85., , et al.
- 24Expression of the NKG2D ligand UL16 binding protein-1 (ULBP-1) on dendritic cells. Eur J Immunol 2006; 36:65–72., , et al.
- 25Induction of NKG2D ligands on human dendritic cells by TLR ligand stimulation and RNA virus infection. Int Immunol 2007; 19:1145–55., , , , , , , .
- 26Activated, but not resting, T cells can be recognized and killed by syngeneic NK cells. J Immunol 2003; 170:3572–76., , , , , , .
- 27Antigen-activated human T lymphocytes express cell-surface NKG2D ligands via an ATM/ATR-dependent mechanism and become susceptible to autologous NK-cell lysis. Blood 2007; 110:606–15., , , , , .
- 28BCR/ABL oncogene directly controls MHC class I chain-related molecule A expression in chronic myelogenous leukemia. J Immunol 2006; 176:5108–16., , et al.
- 29Human microRNAs regulate stress-induced immune responses mediated by the receptor NKG2D. Nat Immunol 2008; 9:1065–73., , , , , , , .
- 30microRNA miR-14 acts to modulate a positive autoregulatory loop controlling steroid hormone signaling in Drosophila. Genes Dev 2007; 21:2277–82., .
- 31Canalization of development by microRNAs. Nat Genet 2006; 38(Suppl):S20–S24., .
- 32Interferon-gamma down-regulates NKG2D ligand expression and impairs the NKG2D-mediated cytolysis of MHC class I-deficient melanoma by natural killer cells. Int J Cancer 2009; 124:1594–1604., , et al.
- 33Switching from repression to activation: microRNAs can up-regulate translation. Science (New York, NY) 2007;318:1931–34., , .
- 34microRNAs: a safeguard against turmoil? Cell 2007; 130:581–85., .
- 35From birth to death: the complex lives of eukaryotic mRNAs. Science (New York, NY) 2005;309:1514–18..
- 36Proliferating cells express mRNAs with shortened 3′ untranslated regions and fewer microRNA target sites. Science (New York, NY) 2008;320:1643–7., , , , .
- 37Contact inhibition causes strong downregulation of expression of MICA in human fibroblasts and decreased NK cell killing. Hum Immunol 2006; 67:183–7., , .
- 38Posttranslational regulation of the NKG2D ligand Mult1 in response to cell stress. J Exp Med 2009; 206:287–98., , .