Trappin-2/Elafin: a novel innate anti-human immunodeficiency virus-1 molecule of the human female reproductive tract
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 129, Issue 2, pages 207–219, February 2010
How to Cite
Ghosh, M., Shen, Z., Fahey, J. V., Cu-Uvin, S., Mayer, K. and Wira, C. R. (2010), Trappin-2/Elafin: a novel innate anti-human immunodeficiency virus-1 molecule of the human female reproductive tract. Immunology, 129: 207–219. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2567.2009.03165.x
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2009
- Received 1 April 2009; accepted 13 July 2009.
- 1Diaphragm and lubricant gel for prevention of HIV acquisition in southern African women: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2007; 370:251–61., , et al.
- 2AIDS research. Promising AIDS vaccine’s failure leaves field reeling. Science 2007; 318:28–9..
- 3Lack of effectiveness of cellulose sulfate gel for the prevention of vaginal HIV transmission. N Engl J Med 2008; 359:463–72., , et al.
- 4AIDS gel’s failure calls prevention approach into question. Nat Med 2007; 13:230..
- 5Microbicide trial screeches to a halt. J Clin Invest 2007; 117:1116..
- 6CDC. HIV/AIDS Among Women. http://wwwcdcgov/hiv/topics/women/resources/factsheets/pdf/womenpdf 2007
- 7Comparison of female to male and male to female transmission of HIV in 563 stable couples. European Study Group on Heterosexual Transmission of HIV. BMJ 1992; 304:809–13.
- 8A review of current intravaginal drug delivery approaches employed for the prophylaxis of HIV/AIDS and prevention of sexually transmitted infections. AAPS PharmSciTech 2008; 9:505–20., , , , , .
- 9Probability of HIV-1 transmission per coital act in monogamous, heterosexual, HIV-1discordant couples in Rakai, Uganda. Lancet 2001; 357:1149–53., , et al.
- 10Rates of HIV-1 transmission per coital act, by stage of HIV-1 infection, in Rakai, Uganda. J Infect Dis 2005; 191:1403–9., , et al.
- 11Antiviral responses of human Fallopian tube epithelial cells to toll-like receptor 3 agonist poly(I:C). Fertil Steril 2008; 89(Suppl. 5):1497–506., , , , .
- 12Innate immunity in the human female reproductive tract: antiviral response of uterine epithelial cells to the TLR3 agonist poly(I:C). J Immunol 2005; 174:992–1002., , , .
- 13Effect of menstrual status on antibacterial activity and secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor production by human uterine epithelial cells in culture. J Infect Dis 2002; 185:1606–13., .
- 14PRO 2000 elicits a decline in genital tract immune mediators without compromising intrinsic antimicrobial activity. AIDS 2007; 21:467–76., , et al.
- 15Innate host defense of human vaginal and cervical mucosae. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 2006; 306:199–230..
- 16Response to Neisseria gonorrhoeae by cervicovaginal epithelial cells occurs in the absence of toll-like receptor 4-mediated signaling. J Immunol 2002; 168:2424–32., , , , .
- 17Localization of TLR2 and MyD88 to Chlamydia trachomatis inclusions. Evidence for signaling by intracellular TLR2 during infection with an obligate intracellular pathogen. J Biol Chem 2006; 281:1652–9., , , , .
- 18Innate immunity in the female reproductive tract: role of sex hormones in regulating uterine epithelial cell protection against pathogens. Curr Womens Health Rev 2008; 4:102–17., , , , .
- 19Innate immunity and disorders of the female reproductive tract. Reproduction 2008; 135:739–49., , .
- 20Cationic polypeptides are required for anti-HIV-1 activity of human vaginal fluid. J Immunol 2005; 175:7560–7., , , , .
- 21Correlates of HIV-1 shedding in cervicovaginal secretions and effects of antiretroviral therapies. AIDS 2003; 17:2169–76., , et al.
- 22Diversity, divergence, and evolution of cell-free human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in vaginal secretions and blood of chronically infected women: associations with immune status. J Virol 2005; 79:9799–809., , , , , .
- 23Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 genomic RNA sequences in the female genital tract and blood: compartmentalization and intrapatient recombination. J Virol 2005; 79:353–63., , , , , , .
- 24Increased levels of HIV-1-infected cells in endocervical secretions after the luteinizing hormone surge. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2008; 47:529–34., , , , , .
- 25Effect of menstrual cycle on HIV-1 levels in the peripheral blood and genital tract. WHS 001 Study Team. AIDS 2000; 14:2101–7., , et al.
- 26Detection of infectious human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in female genital secretions by a short-term culture method. J Clin Microbiol 2003; 41:4081–8., , et al.
- 27HIV-1 RNA in plasma and genital tract secretions in women infected with HIV-1. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 1999; 22:124–31., , , , , , , .
- 28A new strategy to understand how HIV infects women: identification of a window of vulnerability during the menstrual cycle. AIDS 2008; 22:1909–17., .
- 29Endogenous Microbicides of the Human Female Reproductive Tract: Innate Anti-HIV-1 Activity in Epithelial Cell Secretions. New Delhi, India: Microbicides 2008, 2008..
- 30Innate immune defences in the human endometrium. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2003; 1:116., , .
- 31Lipopolysaccharide-induced IL-1 beta production by human uterine macrophages up-regulates uterine epithelial cell expression of human beta-defensin 2. J Immunol 2006; 176:6647–55., , , , , .
- 32Expression of toll-like receptors 2, 3, 4, and 9 genes in the human endometrium during the menstrual cycle. J Reprod Immunol 2007; 2:53–60., , et al.
- 33Novel innate immune functions of the whey acidic protein family. Trends Immunol 2008; 29:444–53., .
- 34Cytokine-mediated induction of the human elafin gene in pulmonary epithelial cells is regulated by nuclear factor-kappaB. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2001; 25:84–91., , .
- 35The trappin gene family: proteins defined by an N-terminal transglutaminase substrate domain and a C-terminal four-disulphide core. Biochem J 1999; 3:569–77., , .
- 36Constitutive and inducible expression of SKALP/elafin provides anti-elastase defense in human epithelia. J Clin Invest 1996; 98:1389–99., , et al.
- 37Regulation of secretory leukocyte proteinase inhibitor (SLPI) and elastase-specific inhibitor (ESI/elafin) in human airway epithelial cells by cytokines and neutrophilic enzymes. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 1994; 11:733–41., , , , .
- 38Elafin (elastase-specific inhibitor) has anti-microbial activity against gram-positive and gram-negative respiratory pathogens. FEBS Lett 1999; 452:309–13., , , , .
- 39The antibacterial and antifungal properties of trappin-2 (pre-elafin) do not depend on its protease inhibitory function. FEBS J 2008; 275:2008–20., , , , .
- 40Multifaceted roles of human elafin and secretory leukocyte proteinase inhibitor (SLPI), two serine protease inhibitors of the chelonianin family. Biochimie 2008; 90:284–95., , , , , .
- 41SLPI and elafin: one glove, many fingers. Clin Sci (Lond) 2006; 110:21–35., , , .
- 42Transcriptional regulation of the elafin gene in human keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol 2003; 120:301–7., , , , .
- 43The antimicrobial/elastase inhibitor elafin regulates lung dendritic cells and adaptive immunity. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2006; 34:634–42., , , , , , , .
- 44Differential mucosal susceptibility in HIV-1 transmission and infection. Adv Dent Res 2006; 19:52–6., , .
- 45Inhibitory function of secretory leukocyte proteinase inhibitor (SLPI) in human saliva is HIV-1 specific and varies with virus tropism. Oral Dis 2002; 8:160–7., , , .
- 46Antigen-presenting cells in the human female reproductive tract: analysis of antigen presentation in pre- and post-menopausal women. Am J Reprod Immunol 1999; 42:49–57., , , .
- 47Secretory component production by polarized epithelial cells from the human female reproductive tract. Immunol Invest 1998; 27:167–80., , , .
- 48MHC class II expression and antigen presentation by human endometrial cells. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2001; 5:203–11., , , , , .
- 49Polymeric immunoglobin (Ig) receptor production and IgA transcytosis in polarized primary cultures of mature rat uterine epithelial cells. Biol Reprod 1995; 53:488–98., , .
- 50Quantitative mRNA expression analysis from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues using 5′ nuclease quantitative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction. J Mol Diagn 2000; 2:84–91., , , , , , .
- 51Emergence of resistant human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in patients receiving fusion inhibitor (T-20) monotherapy. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2002; 46:1896–905., , et al.
- 52Secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor binds to annexin II, a cofactor for macrophage HIV-1 infection. J Exp Med 2004; 200:1337–46., , , , , , , .
- 53Macrophage inflammatory protein 1alpha inhibits postentry steps of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection via suppression of intracellular cyclic AMP. J Virol 2005; 79:5625–31., , , .
- 54Secretion of cytokines and chemokines by polarized human epithelial cells from the female reproductive tract. Hum Reprod 2005; 20:1439–46., , , .
- 55Effect of oestradiol on PAMP-mediated CCL20/MIP-3 alpha production by mouse uterine epithelial cells in culture. Immunology 2006; 118:185–94., , , .
- 56Expression of Toll-like receptors (TLR) and responsiveness to TLR agonists by polarized mouse uterine epithelial cells in culture. Biol Reprod 2006; 75:131–9., , .
- 57The Role of Genital Tract Trappin-2/Elafin And RANTES in Mediating Resistance to HIV-1 Infection. Montreal, Quebec, Canada: CAHR, 2008., , , , , .
- 58Synergistic and additive killing by antimicrobial factors found in human airway surface liquid. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2000; 279:L799–805., , , .
- 59Synergistic effect of antibacterial agents human beta-defensins, cathelicidin LL-37 and lysozyme against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. J Dermatol Sci 2005; 40:123–32., , , , , , , .
- 60Antimicrobial proteins and peptides: anti-infective molecules of mammalian leukocytes. J Leukoc Biol 2004; 76:909–25..
- 61Kallikrein-mediated proteolysis regulates the antimicrobial effects of cathelicidins in skin. FASEB J 2006; 20:2068–80., , et al.
- 62Kallikreins and kinins in inflammatory-like events in the reproductive tract. Pharmacol Res 1997; 35:537–40., , , .
- 63A potential role for tissue kallikrein-related peptidases in human cervico-vaginal physiology. Biol Chem 2008; 389:681–8., .
- 64Stromal cell-derived factors 1alpha and 1beta, inflammatory protein-10 and interferon-inducible T cell chemo-attractant are novel substrates of dipeptidyl peptidase 8. FEBS Lett 2008; 582:819–25., , et al.
- 65Proteolytic processing of chemokines: implications in physiological and pathological conditions. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 2008; 7:1185–98., , .
- 66Human immunodeficiency virus receptor and coreceptor expression on human uterine epithelial cells: regulation of expression during the menstrual cycle and implications for human immunodeficiency virus infection. Immunology 2003; 109:137–46., , et al.
- 67Epithelial cells in the female reproductive tract: a central role as sentinels of immune protection. Am J Reprod Immunol 2005; 53:65–76., , .
- 68Innate immune defences in the human uterus during pregnancy. Placenta 2007; 12:1099–106., , , , .
- 69Estradiol modulation of hepatocyte growth factor by stromal fibroblasts in the female reproductive tract. Fertil Steril (Epub 2009 May 5)., , , , .
- 70CCL20/MIP3alpha is a novel anti-HIV-1 molecule of the human female reproductive tract. Am J Reprod Immunol 2009; 62:60–71., , , , , .