J.W. and Z.M. contributed equally to this work.
Toll-like receptor-induced innate immune responses in non-parenchymal liver cells are cell type-specific
Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 129, Issue 3, pages 363–374, March 2010
How to Cite
Wu, J., Meng, Z., Jiang, M., Zhang, E., Trippler, M., Broering, R., Bucchi, A., Krux, F., Dittmer, U., Yang, D., Roggendorf, M., Gerken, G., Lu, M. and Schlaak, J. F. (2010), Toll-like receptor-induced innate immune responses in non-parenchymal liver cells are cell type-specific. Immunology, 129: 363–374. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2567.2009.03179.x
- Issue online: 2 FEB 2010
- Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2009
- Received 17 March 2009; revised 18 July 2009; accepted 18 August 2009.
- 1Toll-like receptor signalling. Nat Rev Immunol 2004; 4:499–511., .
- 2Toll-like receptor signaling in the liver. Gastroenterology 2006; 130:1886–900., , .
- 3Tolerogenic maturation of liver sinusoidal endothelial cells promotes B7-homolog 1-dependent CD8+ T cell tolerance. Hepatology 2008; 47:296–305., , , , , .
- 4Efficient presentation of exogenous antigen by liver endothelial cells to CD8+ T cells results in antigen-specific T-cell tolerance. Nat Med 2000; 6:1348–54., , et al.
- 5Kupffer cells required for high affinity peptide-induced deletion, not retention, of activated CD8+ T cells by mouse liver. Hepatology 2004; 39:1017–27., , , , .
- 6Intrahepatic endothelial and Kupffer cells involved in immunosuppressive cytokines and natural killer (NK)/NK T cell disorders in viral acute hepatitis. Clin Exp Immunol 2008; 152:298–310., , , .
- 7Local control of the immune response in the liver. Immunol Rev 2000; 174:21–34., .
- 8Toll-like receptors and adaptor molecules in liver disease: update. Hepatology 2008; 48:322–35., .
- 9TLR4 regulates Kupffer cell chemokine production, systemic inflammation and lung neutrophil infiltration following trauma-hemorrhage. Mol Immunol 2007; 44:2625–30., , et al.
- 10Cytokine responses to fungal pathogens in Kupffer cells are Toll-like receptor 4 independent and mediated by tyrosine kinases. Scand J Immunol 2005; 62:148–54., , et al.
- 11Lipopolysaccharide-induced IL-18 secretion from murine Kupffer cells independently of myeloid differentiation factor 88 that is critically involved in induction of production of IL-12 and IL-1β. J Immunol 2001; 166:2651–7., , et al.
- 12Toll-like receptor 3 ligand attenuates LPS-induced liver injury by down-regulation of toll-like receptor 4 expression on macrophages. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2005; 102:17077–82., , , .
- 13The role of MAPK in Kupffer cell toll-like receptor (TLR) 2-, TLR4-, and TLR9-mediated signaling following trauma-hemorrhage. J Cell Physiol 2007; 210:667–75., , et al.
- 14Murine liver antigen presenting cells control suppressor activity of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells. Hepatology 2005; 42:193–9., , , , , .
- 15Differential liver sensitization to toll-like receptor pathways in mice with alcoholic fatty liver. Hepatology 2006; 43:989–1000., , et al.
- 16Development and functional consequences of LPS tolerance in sinusoidal endothelial cells of the liver. J Leukoc Biol 2005; 77:626–33., , et al.
- 17Lipopolysaccharide-induced decreased protein S expression in liver cells is mediated by MEK/ERK signaling and NFκB activation: involvement of membrane-bound CD14 and toll-like receptor-4. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 4:1763–73., , et al.
- 18Toll-like receptor 9 (TLR9) is present in murine liver sinusoidal endothelial cells (LSECs) and mediates the effect of CpG-oligonucleotides. J Hepatol 2006; 44:939–46., , , , , .
- 19Toll-like receptor-mediated control of HBV replication by nonparenchymal liver cells in mice. Hepatology 2007; 46:1769–78., , et al.
- 20Woodchuck gamma interferon upregulates major histocompatibility complex class I transcription but is unable to deplete woodchuck hepatitis virus replication intermediates and RNAs in persistently infected woodchuck primary hepatocytes. J Virol 2002; 76:58–67., , , , .
- 21Liver sinusoidal endothelial cells are insufficient to activate T cells. J Immunol 2004; 173:230–5., , , , .
- 22Organ-specific regulation of innate immunity. Nat Immunol 2007; 8:3–4..
- 23Endotoxin modulates the capacity of CpG-activated liver myeloid DC to direct Th1-type responses. Eur J Immunol 2006; 36:2483–93., , , .
- 24Mammalian target of rapamycin and glycogen synthase kinase 3 differentially regulate lipopolysaccharide-induced interleukin-12 production in dendritic cells. Blood 2008; 112:635–43., , et al.
- 25Pattern recognition receptors: a contemporary view on liver diseases. Hepatology 2006; 44:287–98., , .
- 26Negative regulation of toll-like receptor-mediated immune responses. Nat Rev Immunol 2005; 5:446–58., , , .
- 27Upregulation of costimulatory molecules induced by lipopolysaccharide and double-stranded RNA occurs by Trif-dependent and Trif-independent pathways. Nat Immunol 2003; 4:1223–9., , et al.
- 28Antagonism between MyD88- and TRIF-dependent signals in B7RP-1 up-regulation. Eur J Immunol 2005; 35:1918–27., , , , , .
- 29TRIF-GEFH1-RhoB pathway is involved in MHCII expression on dendritic cells that is critical for CD4 T-cell activation. EMBO J 2006; 25:4108–19., , et al.
- 30Inhibition of experimental asthma by indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase. J Clin Invest 2004; 114:270–9., , et al.
- 31Inferences, questions and possibilities in Toll-like receptor signalling. Nature 2004; 430:257–63..
- 32A novel inhibitory peptide of Toll-like receptor signaling limits lipopolysaccharide-induced production of inflammatory mediators and enhances survival in mice. Shock 2007; 27:364–9., , , , , .
- 33Pharmacological inhibition of endotoxin responses is achieved by targeting the TLR4 coreceptor, MD-2. J Immunol 2005; 175:6465–72., , , , .
- 34Phase 1B, randomized, double-blind, dose-escalation trial of CPG 10101 in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus. Hepatology 2007; 46:1341–9., , et al.
- 35Toll-like receptor-stimulated non-parenchymal liver cells can regulate hepatitis C virus replication. J Hepatol 2008; 48:914–22., , et al.