Making patients safer: nurses’ responses to patient safety alerts
Article first published online: 4 SEP 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 63, Issue 6, pages 567–575, September 2008
How to Cite
Lankshear, A., Lowson, K., Harden, J., Lowson, P. and Saxby, R. C. (2008), Making patients safer: nurses’ responses to patient safety alerts. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 63: 567–575. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04741.x
- Issue published online: 4 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 4 SEP 2008
- Accepted for publication 18 May 2008
- 2002) Views of practicing physicians and the public on medical errors. New England Journal of Medicine 347(24), 1933–1940. , , , , , , , , & (
- 1999) The implications of latex allergy in healthcare settings. Journal of Clinical Nursing 8(2), 139–143. (
- 1998) Transforming Qualitative Information: Thematic Analysis and Code Development. Sage, London. (
- CMO (2004) Learning How to Learn: Compliance with Patient Safety Alerts in the NHS. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2000) An Organisaton with a Memory. The Stationery Office, London.
- Department of Health (2001) Building a Safer NHS for Patients. Department of Health, London.
- 2004) The Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures, 6th edn. Blackwell Publishing Ltd, Oxford. & . (eds) (
- HSE (2002) Latex and You. Health and Safety Executive, London.
- Institute of Medicine (1999) To Err is Human. Institute of Medicine, Washington, DC.
- JCAHO (1998) Lessons learned: wrong site surgery. Sentinel Event Alert. Issue 6. Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organisations. Retrieved from: http://www.jointcommission.org/SentinelEvents/SentinelEventAlert/sea_6.htm on 23 March 2008.
- JCAHO (2001) Medication error prevention: potassium chloride. International Journal for Quality in Health Care 13, 155.
- JCAHO (2003) Facts about the Universal Protocol for Preventing Wrong Site, Wrong Procedure and Wrong Person Surgery. Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organisations. Retrieved from: http://www.jointcommission.org/PatientSafety/UniversalProtocol/up-facts.htm on 23 March 2008.
- 2005) Evaluation of the implementation of the alert issued by the UK National Patient Safety Agency on the storage and handling of potassium chloride concentrate solution. Quality & Safety in Health Care 14(3), 196–201. , , , & (
- 2008) Safe in their hands – a national survey to explore the management of the Safety Alert Broadcast System in the UK. Clinical Governance, in press. , & . (
- 2005) Where the Rubber Hits the Road. AHRQ, Rochville, MD. (ed.) (
- 2002) Anaphylactic reactions during surgical and medical procedures. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 110(Suppl. 2), S64–S69. (
- 1985) Naturalistic Enquiry. Sage Publications Ltd, London. & (
- MDA (1996) Latex Sensitisation in the Health Care Setting (Use of Latex Gloves) MDA DB 9601. Medical Devices Agency, London.
- 1998) Latex sensitization in general pediatric surgical patients: a call for increased screening of patients. Journal of Pediatric Surgery 33(7), 1108–1111; discussion 1111–1112. , , , & (
- National Audit Office (2005) A Safer Place for Patients: Learning to Improve Patient Safety. The Stationery Office, London.
- NHS Scotland (2007) Safety Action Notice: All Brands of Needle-free Intravascular Connectors: Updated Instructions for Use SAN(SC)07/24. Scottish Executive Health Department, Edinburgh.
- NPSA (2004) Report of a Survey of the Responses of NHS Organisations to the Risks of Patient and Staff Sensitivity to Natural Rubber Latex: Appendix 1 Background to Latex Sensitivity and Relevant Research and Guidance. National Patient Safety Agency, London.
- NPSA (2007) Nasogastric Tube Incidents: Summary Update. NPSA, London.
- epic2 (2007) National evidence-based guidelines for preventing healthcare associated Infections in NHS hospitals in England. The Journal of Hospital Infection 65S, S1–S64. , , , , , , , &
- 1990) Human Error. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. (
- 1997) Managing the Risks of Organisational Accidents. Ashgate, Aldershot. (
- 2006) Evaluation of Patient Safety Alert on Correct Site Surgery. Patient Safety Research Portfolio, Birmingham. , , , , , , & (
- 2004) What’s the evidence that NICE guidance has been implemented? Results from a national evaluation using time series analysis, audit of patients’ notes, and interviews. BMJ 329(7473), 999. , , , , , , , & (
- 1996) Assessing the Likelihood of Violation Behaviour. University of Manchester, Manchester. (