Experiences of self-care in patients with colorectal cancer: a longitudinal study
Article first published online: 1 SEP 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 64, Issue 5, pages 469–477, December 2008
How to Cite
Kidd, L., Kearney, N., O’Carroll, R. and Hubbard, G. (2008), Experiences of self-care in patients with colorectal cancer: a longitudinal study. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 64: 469–477. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04796.x
- Issue published online: 12 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 1 SEP 2008
- Accepted for publication 23 June 2008
- Australian Self Medication Industry (2008) Self Care in Australia. Retrieved from http://www.asmi.com.au/Self-careInAustralia.pdf on 1 March 2008.
- 2002) Self management approaches for people with chronic conditions: a review. Patient Education and Counseling 48, 177–187. , , , & (
- 2003) A changing paradigm for cancer treatment: the advent of new oral chemotherapy agents. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing 7(6), 5–9. (
- 2007) Breast cancer diagnosis and its treatment affecting the self: a meta-synthesis. Cancer Nursing 30(3), 194–202. & (
- 2003) Assessing fatigue and self-care strategies in patients receiving radiotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer. European Journal of Oncology Nursing 7(4), 231–241. , , , & (
- 2005) Self management of chronic disease doesn’t work. Health Service Journal 17(115), 18–19. & (
- Canadian Nurses’ Association (2002) Supporting Self Care: A Shared Initiative 1999–2002. Canadian Nurses’ Association, Ottawa, ON March 2002.
- Cancer Research UK (CRUK) (2008) Retrieved from http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk on 1 June 2008.
- 2004) Xelox (Capecitabine plus Oxaliplatin): active first line therapy for patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology 22(11), 2084–2091. , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2007) XELOX vs. FOLFOX4: efficacy results from XELOX-1/NO16966, a randomized phase III trial in first-line metastatic colorectal cancer (MCRC) Abstract Number 270 ASCO 2007 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium. Retrieved from http://www.asco.org on 1 March 2007. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2006) Guest editorial: the role of the health professional in supporting self care. Quality in Primary Care 14, 129–131. (
- 2002) The self as habit: the reconstruction of self in chronic illness. The Occupational Therapy Journal of Research 22(Suppl.), 31S–41S. (
- 2003) Management of chronic disease by patients Annual Review of Public Health 24, 289–313. (
- Department of Health (2000) The NHS Plan. A Plan for Investment. A Plan for Reform Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2001) The Expert Patient: A New Approach to Chronic Disease Management for the 21st Century. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2005a) Supporting People with Long Term Conditions: An NHS and Social Care Model to Support Local Innovation and Integration. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2005b) Self Care: A Real Choice. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2006a) Our Health, Our Say. Department of Health, London.
- 2003) The Pro Self program: a self care intervention program. In Evidence Based Cancer Care and Prevention: Behavioural Interventions (GivenC.W., GivenB., ChampionV.L., KozachitzS. & DeVarsD.N., eds), Springer Publishing Company, New York, pp. 218–241. & (
- 2007) What makes a man a man? Cancer Nursing 30(6), 464–470. & (
- 2004) A story of maladies, misconceptions and mishaps: effective management of heart failure Social Science and Medicine 58, 631–643. , & (
- 2007) A review of literature about involving people affected by cancer in research, policy and planning and practice. Patient Education and Counseling 65(1), 21–33. , , , & (
- 2005) Patients’ experience of ambulatory self administration of Pamidronate in multiple myeloma. Cancer Nursing 28(2), 158–165. , , & (
- 2004) Achieving change in the NHS: a study to explore the feasibility of a home-based cancer chemotherapy service International Journal of Nursing Studies 41, 215–224. , , , & (
- 2007) An Exploration of Patients’ Perceived Control, Self Efficacy and Involvement in Self Care During Chemotherapy for Colorectal Cancer. PhD Thesis, University of Stirling, UK. (
- 1999) Women living with type two diabetes: the intrusion of illness. Journal of Clinical Nursing 8(6), 712–722. , & (
- 2000) Men living with diabetes: minimising the intrusiveness of the disease. Journal of Clinical Nursing 9, 247–254. , & (
- 2004) Chronic illness self management: locating the ‘self’. Journal of Advanced Nursing 48(5), 484–492. , & (
- 2002) The quest for ordinariness: transition experienced by midlife women living with chronic illness. Journal of Advanced Nursing 39(2), 146–154. (
- 2007) Understanding transition in chronic illness. Australian Nursing Journal 15(2), 29. & (
- 2004) Chronic illness self management: taking action to create order Journal of Clinical Nursing 13, 259–267. , , & (
- 2005) Moving on: the transition to living well with chronic illness. The Australian Journal of Holistic Nursing 12(2), 13–22. , , , & (
- 2006) Transition: a literature review. Journal of Advanced Nursing 55(3), 320–329. , & (
- 2000) Coping with the onset of cancer: coping strategies and resources of young people with cancer. European Journal of Cancer Care 10, 6–11. , , , , , & (
- 1998) A symptom-management program for patients undergoing cancer treatment: the Pro-Self program. Journal of Cancer Education 13(4), 248–252. , & (
- 1984) Illness representations and coping with health threats. In Handbook of Psychology and Health, Vol. 4 (BaumA., TaylorS.E. & SingerJ.E. eds), Hillsdale, Erlbaum, NJ, pp. 219–252. , & (
- 1997) Illness representations: theoretical foundations. In Perceptions of Health and Illness: Current Research and Applications (PetrieK.J. & WeinmanJ.A., eds), The Netherlands Harwood Academic Publishers, Amsterdam, pp. 19–45. , , , , , & (
- 1998) Breast talk in cancer narratives. Qualitative Health Research 8(1), 76–94. & (
- 2004) Carstairs Scores for Scottish Postcode Sectors from the 2001 Census. University of Glasgow, Glasgow Medical Research Council Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, Glasgow, UK. (
- 1990) Predicting self care with patients and family members’ affective states and family functioning. Oncology Nursing Forum 17(3), 394–400. & (
- 1991) Use and perceived efficacy of self care activities in patients receiving chemotherapy. Oncology Nursing Forum 18(5), 883–887. , , , & (
- 2001) The shifting perspectives model of chronic illness Image: Journal of Nursing Scholarship 33, 21–26. (
- 2005) A feasibility study to evaluate a group intervention for people with cancer experiencing fatigue following treatment. Clinical Effectiveness in Nursing 9, 178–187. , & (
- 1997) Self care behaviours initiated by chemotherapy patients in response to fatigue. International Journal of Nursing Studies 34(1), 35–43. & (
- 2002) Facilitators and barriers to heart failure self care. Patient Education and Counseling 46, 287–295. & (
- 2003) Carrying out qualitative analysis. In Qualitative Research Practice: A Guide for Social Science Students and Researchers (RitchieJ. & LewisJ., eds), Sage Publications, London, pp. 219–263. , & (
- 1966) Generalised expectancies for internal versus external control or reinforcement. Psychological Monographs 10, 1–28. (
- Scottish Executive (2003) Partnership for Care: Scotland’s Health White Paper. Scottish Executive, Edinburgh.
- Scottish Executive (2005a) A National Service Framework for Service Change in the NHS in Scotland: Building a Health Service Fit for the Future. Scottish Executive, Edinburgh.
- Scottish Executive (2005b) Delivering for Health. Scottish Executive, Edinburgh.
- 1999) What influences a patient’s desire to participate in the management of their hypertension? Patient Education and Counseling 38, 185–194. (
- 2000) Self care activity as a structure: a phenomenological approach. Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy 7, 183–189. (
- 2006) Acceptance and denial: implications for people adapting to chronic illness: literature review. Journal of Advanced Nursing 55(4), 457–464. , & (
- 2001) Health care professional support for self care management in chronic illness: insights from diabetes research. Patient Education and Counseling 42, 81–90. & (
- 2001) The aftermath of breast cancer: an altered sexual self. Cancer Nursing 24(4), 278–286. (
- 2006) Mucositis pain induced by radiation therapy: prevalence, severity and use of self care behaviours. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 32(1), 27–37. , , , , , & (
- 2005) A different way of being: adolescents’ experiences with cancer. Cancer Nursing 28(1), 8–15. (