Experiences of hospital care reported by bereaved relatives of patients after a stroke: a retrospective survey using the VOICES questionnaire
Article first published online: 11 SEP 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 65, Issue 10, pages 2161–2174, October 2009
How to Cite
Young, A. J., Rogers, A., Dent, L. and Addington-Hall, J. M. (2009), Experiences of hospital care reported by bereaved relatives of patients after a stroke: a retrospective survey using the VOICES questionnaire. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 65: 2161–2174. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05081.x
- Issue published online: 11 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 11 SEP 2009
- Accepted for publication 15 May 2009
- 2005) Extending palliative care to chronic conditions. European Journal of Palliative Care 12(2), 14–17. (
- 1995) Regional study of care for the dying: methods and sample characteristics. Palliative Medicine 9, 27–35. & (
- 1995) Symptom control, communication with health professionals, and hospital care of stroke survivors in the last year of life as reported by surviving family, friends and officials. Stroke 26(12), 2242. , , & (
- 1998) A randomised controlled trial of postal versus interviewer administration of a questionnaire measuring satisfaction with, and use of, services received in the year before death. Journal of Epidemiology Community Health 52, 802–807. , , , & (
- 2006a) Development of a Postal Questionnaire for Use in a Population Based Survey of the Experiences of People Who Die from Stroke and Their Families, from the Perspective of Bereaved Relatives. University of Southampton for Department of Health, London. , , & (
- 2006b) Evaluation of the Education and Support Programme for District and Community Nurses in the Principles and Practice of Palliative Care. University of Southampton for Department of Health, London. , , , , & (
- 2007) Research Methods in Palliative Care. Oxford University Press, London. , , & (
- 2003) The association between satisfaction with care provided in primary care and outcomes in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Medicine 20, 486–490. & (
- 2003) Using satisfaction to measure the quality of palliative care: a review of the literature. Journal of Advanced Nursing 42(4), 324–339. , , & (
- 2006) Predicting and comparing patient satisfaction in four different modes of health care across a nation. Social Science & Medicine 63, 1671–1683. & (
- BMA (2007) Withholding and Withdrawing Life-prolonging Medical Treatment. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford.
- 1992) The measurement of patient satisfaction. Journal of Public Health Medicine 14(3), 236–249. (
- 2001) Determining stroke rehabilitation inpatients’ level of nursing care. Clinical Nursing Research 10(1), 40–51. , , & (
- 1999) Exploring the meaning of ‘dissatisfaction’ with health care: the importance of ‘personal identity threat’. Sociology Health & Illness 21(1), 95–124. (
- Department for Constitutional Affairs (2007) Mental Capacity Act 2005: Code of Practice. The Stationery Office, London.
- Department of Health (1999) Health Act 1999. The Stationery Office, London.
- Department of Health (2001) National Service Framework for Older People. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2007a) Our NHS Our Future: NHS Next Stage Review Interim Report. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2007b) National Stroke Strategy. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2007c) A New Ambition for Stroke: A Consultation on a National Strategy. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2007d) Advance Care Planning: A Guide for Health and Social Care Staff. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2008) Our NHS Our Future: NHS Next Stage Review Leading Local Change. Department of Health, London.
- 2007) Care of the dying: what a difference an LCP makes! Palliative Medicine 21, 365–368. (
- 1998) Satisfaction with palliative care: what should we be aware of? International Journal of Nursing Studies 35, 171–176. (
- 1996) Determinants of informal caregivers’ satisfaction with care for dying cancer patients. Social Science & Medicine 42(5), 721–731. , & (
- 1997) The effects of clinical characteristics of dying cancer patients on informal caregivers’ satisfaction with palliative care. Palliative Medicine 11, 107–115. , & (
- 2005) Continuity of care and other determinants of patient satisfaction with primary care. Journal of General Internal Medicine 20(3), 226–233. , , & (
- Healthcare Commission (2005) Survey of Patient 2005: Stroke. Healthcare Commission, London.
- Healthcare Commission (2006) Survey of Patients 2006: Caring for People After They Have had a Stroke. Healthcare Commission, London.
- Healthcare Commission (2007) Caring for Dignity: A National Report on Dignity in Care for Older People While in Hospital. Healthcare Commission, London.
- 2006) What matters most in end-of-life care: perceptions of seriously ill patients and their family members. Canadian Medical Association Journal 174(5), 627–633. , , , , & (
- 2002) Quality of life through rehabilitation at end of life. Cancer Practice 10(4), 174–178. , & (
- Intercollegiate Stroke Working Party (2004) National Clinical Guidelines for Stroke. Royal College of Physicians, London.
- Intercollegiate Stroke Working Party (2005) National Sentinel Stroke Audit 2004. Royal College of Physicians, London.
- Intercollegiate Stroke Working Party (2007) National Sentinel Stroke Audit 2006. Royal College of Physicians, London.
- 2003) Nurses’ perceptions of the Liverpool care pathway for the dying patient in the acute hospital setting. International Journal of Palliative Nursing 9(9), 375–381. , , & (
- 2004) Towards a good death:the impact of the care of the dying pathway in an acute stroke unit. Age and Ageing 33, 625–635. , , , , & (
- 2001) Predictors of patient satisfaction. Social Science & Medicine 52, 609–620. , & (
- 2002) Patients’ experiences and satisfaction with health care: results of a questionnaire study of specific aspects of care. Quality & Safety in Health Care 11, 335–339. , , , & (
- 2003) Essential Medical Statistics, 2nd edn. Blackwell Publishers, Oxford. & (
- 2008) Bridging the Quality Gap: Stroke. The Health Foundation, London. , & (
- 2003) Judging the quality of care at the end if life: can proxies provide reliable information? Social Science & Medicine 56, 95–109. & (
- 2004) How do proxies’ perceptions of patients’ pain, anxiety and depression change during the bereavement period? Journal of Palliative Care 20(1), 12–19. & (
- 2002) The impact of general practitioners’ patient-centredness on patients’ post-consultation satisfaction and enablement. Social Science & Medicine 55, 283–299. , & (
- 2002) Applied Logistic Regression Analysis, 2nd edn. Sage, California. (
- 2005) Introducing an integrated care pathway for the last days of life. Palliative Medicine 19(1), 33–39. , & (
- 2004) Structured nursing intervention versus routine rehabilitation after stroke. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation 83(7), 522–529. , & (
- Office for National Statistics (2006) Heart Disease Leading Cause of Death in England and Wales. National Statistics, London.
- 2005) Care of the dying stroke patient in an acute setting. Journal of Research in Nursing 10(2), 153–167. & (
- 2000) “All the services were excellent. It is when the human element comes in that things go wrong”: dissatisfaction with hospital care in the last year of life. Journal of Advanced Nursing 31, 768–774. , & (
- 1995) Dying alone. Sociology Health & Illness 17(3), 376–392. (
- 2005) The Liverpool care pathway: its impact on improving the care of the dying. Age and Ageing 34(2), 197–199. , , & (
- 2007) Palliative care in stroke: a critical review of the literature. Palliative Medicine 21, 323–331. , , , & (
- 2005) Individualized care, quality of life and satisfaction with nursing care. Journal of Advanced Nursing 50(3), 283–292. , & (
- The Stroke Association (2008) Lost Without Words: Campaign Report. The Stroke Association, London.
- 1998) The meaning of patient satisfaction: an explanation of high reported levels. Social Science & Medicine 47(9), 1351–1359. , & (
- 2002) Patient and carer satisfaction with ‘Hospital at Home’: quantitative and qualitative results from a randomised controlled trial. British Journal of General Practice 52(474), 9–13. , & (
- 2008) The quality and adequacy of care received at home in the last three months of life by people who died following a stroke: a retrospective survey of surviving family and friends using the VOICES questionnaire. Health and Social Care in the Community 16(4), 419–428. , & (