Evaluation of five search strategies in retrieving qualitative patient-reported electronic data on the impact of pressure ulcers on quality of life
Article first published online: 9 FEB 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 66, Issue 3, pages 645–652, March 2010
How to Cite
Gorecki, C. A., Brown, J. M., Briggs, M. and Nixon, J. (2010), Evaluation of five search strategies in retrieving qualitative patient-reported electronic data on the impact of pressure ulcers on quality of life. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 66: 645–652. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05192.x
- Issue published online: 9 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 9 FEB 2010
- Accepted for publication 2 October 2009
- 1998) Searching for information on outcomes: do you need to be comprehensive? Quality in Health Care 7(3), 163–167. , , & (
- 2007) Understanding the value of qualitative research in nursing. Nursing Times 103(8), 32–33. (
- Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (2006) Searching for the Best Evidence in Clinical Journals. Retrieved from http://www.cebm.net/searching.asp#aetiology on 31 August 2006.
- Centre for Reviews and Dissemination (2001) Undertaking Systematic Reviews of Research on Effectiveness, CRD Report Number 4, 2nd edn. NHS CRD, York.
- 1994) Systematic reviews: identifying relevant studies for systematic reviews. British Medical Journal 309(6964), 1286–1291. , & (
- 2001) Including qualitative research in systematic reviews: opportunities and problems. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice 7(2), 125–133. , & (
- 2005) Synthesising qualitative and quantitative evidence: a review of possible methods. Journal of Health Services & Research Policy 10(1), 45–53. , , , & (
- 2002) Database searches for qualitative research. Journal of the Medical Library Association 90(3), 290–293. (
- 2007) A systematic review of the routine monitoring of growth in children of primary school age to identify growth-related conditions. Health Technology Assessment 11(22), 1–163. , , , , , , , , & (
- 1998) Evaluating patient-based outcome measures for use in clinical trials. Health Technology Assessment 2(14), 1–74. , , & (
- 2007) Electronic searching to locate qualitative research: evaluation of three strategies. Journal of Advanced Nursing 57(1), 95–100. & (
- 2002) Quality of life measurement: bibliographic study of patient assessed health outcome measures. British Medical Journal 324(7351), 1417–1422. , , & (
- on behalf of the European Quality of Life Pressure Ulcer Project (2009) Impact of pressure ulcers on quality of life in older patients: a systematic review. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 57, 1175–1183. , , , , , , &
- 2004) How does your searching grow? A survey of search preferences and the use of optimal search strategies in the identification of qualitative research. Health Information and Libraries Journal 21(1), 21–32. (
- 2005) Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions 4.2.5. The Cochrane Library. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, pp. 65–68. & (
- InterTASC (2006) Search Filter Resource: Patient Views. Retrieved from http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/crd/intertasc/public.htm on 31 January 2006.
- 2006) Gift horse or Trojan horse? Social science perspectives on evidence-based health care. Social Science & Medicine 62, 2613–2620. , & (
- 1999) Identifying the best research design to fit the question. Part 2: qualitative designs. Evidence-Based Nursing 2(2), 36–37. (
- 2004) Finding qualitative research: an evaluation of search strategies. BMC Medical Research Methodology 4(5). , , , , , , & (
- 1996) Assessment of quality of life outcomes. New England Journal of Medicine 334, 835–840. & (
- The Cochrane Collaboration (2007) The Cochrane Library. Retrieved from http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/mrwhome/106568753/HOME?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0 on 27 August 2007.
- US Department of Health & Human Services FDA (2006) Guidance for industry: patient-reported outcome measures: use in medical product development to support labelling claims (draft guidance). Health and Quality of Life Outcomes 4(79). doi: 10.1186/1477-7525-4-79.
- Hedges Team (2006) Developing optimal search strategies for retrieving clinically relevant qualitative studies in EMBASE. Qualitative Health Research 16(1), 162–168. , , &
- 2007) Search strategies for identifying qualitative studies in CINAHL. Qualitative Health Research 17(5), 705–710. , & (
- Hedges Team (2004) Developing optimal search strategies for detecting clinically relevant qualitative studies in MEDLINE. Medinfo 11(1), 311–316. , , &