Nursing care of prisoners: staff views and experiences
Article first published online: 29 APR 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 66, Issue 6, pages 1257–1265, June 2010
How to Cite
Powell, J., Harris, F., Condon, L. and Kemple, T. (2010), Nursing care of prisoners: staff views and experiences. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 66: 1257–1265. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05296.x
- Issue published online: 29 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 29 APR 2010
- Accepted for publication 28 January 2010
- 2003) The mental health of prisoners. Advances in Psychiatric Treatment 9, 191–201. (
- 2009) The Bradley Report: Lord Bradley’s Review of People with Mental Health Problems or Learning Disabilities in the Criminal Justice System. Department of Health, London. (
- 2007a) A review of prison health and its implications for primary care nursing in England and Wales: the research evidence. Journal of Clinical Nursing 16(7), 1202–1209. , & (
- 2007b) Users’ views of prison health services: a qualitative study. Journal of Advanced Nursing 58(3), 216–226. , , , , & (
- 2007) Standards in prison health: the prisoner as a patient. In Health in Prison, a WHO Guide to the Essentials in Prison Health (MollerL., StoverH., JurgensR., GathererA. & NikogosianH., eds), WHO Regional Office for Europe, Denmark, pp. 7–13. (
- Department of Health (2000a) The NHS Plan. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2000b) Nursing in Prisons. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2002) Liberating the Talents. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health/HM Prison Service (2002) Developing and Modernising Primary Care in Prisons. Department of Health, London.
- Health Services Management Centre (2004) Sign Posting to Prison Health. University of Birmingham, Birmingham.
- 2006) Unlocking potential: challenges for primary healthcare researchers in the prison setting. Primary Health Care Research and Development 7, 91–94. (
- 2006) An emerging role for Nurses working in prisons. Prison Service Journal 166, 42–44. , & (
- 2007) Primary Care Nursing in Prisons: The Essentials of Care. University of the West of England, Bristol. , , , , , & (
- HM Inspectorate of Prisons for England and Wales (2004) Annual Report of HM Chief Inspector of Prisons for England and Wales 2002-2003. The Stationery Office, London.
- Joint Prison Service and National Health Service Executive Working Group (1999) The Future Organisation of Prison Health Care. Department of Health, London.
- MollerL., StoverH., JurgensR., GathererA. & NikogosianH.(eds) (2007) Health in Prison, a WHO Guide to the Essentials in Prison Health. WHO Regional Office for Europe, Denmark.
- 2002) The role of the nurse in prison healthcare. In Prison Nursing (NormanA. & ParrishA., eds), Blackwell Science, Oxford, pp. 14–26. & (
- 1994) Qualitative data analysis for applied policy research. In Analyzing Qualitative Data (BrymanA. & BurgessR., eds), Routledge, London, pp. 173–194. & (
- 2002) The future of prison healthcare: a critical analysis. Critical Social Policy 22(2), 300–323. (
- UKCC (1999) Nursing in Secure Environments; Summary and Action Plan from a Scoping Study. UKCC, London.
- United Nations (1990) Basic Principles for the Treatment of Prisoners. Adopted and proclaimed by General Assembly resolution 45/111 of 14 December 1990. New York, United Nations.
- 1997) Prison nursing: the tension between custody and care. British Journal of Nursing 6, 333–336. (