Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/authorresources/onlineopen.html
Experiences of drug use and ageing: health, quality of life, relationship and service implications
Article first published online: 2 JUL 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 66, Issue 9, pages 1968–1979, September 2010
How to Cite
Roe, B., Beynon, C., Pickering, L. and Duffy, P. (2010), Experiences of drug use and ageing: health, quality of life, relationship and service implications. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 66: 1968–1979. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05378.x
- Issue published online: 4 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 2 JUL 2010
- Accepted for publication 8 May 2010
- Age Concern (2007) Improving Services and Support for Older People with Mental Health Problems. Age Concern, London.
- Ageing & Society (2004) Understanding Quality of Life in Old Age. Papers from the UK Economic and Social Research Council Growing Older Research Programme. 24, 5.
- 1998) Health, ageing and older women. In Women and Health Services. An Agenda for Change (DoyalL., ed.), Open University Press, Buckingham, pp. 54–68. (
- 2006) Drug related mortality and its impact on adult mortality in eight European countries. The European Journal of Public Health Advances 16, 198–202. , , , , , , & (
- 2008) Drug use and ageing: older people do take drugs. Age and Ageing 38, 8–10. (
- 2007) The role of substance use in non-drug related deaths: a cross-sectional study of drug treatment clients in the North West of England. Journal of Substance Use 12, 39–47. & (
- 2007) Problematic drug use, ageing and older people: trends in the age of drug users in northwest England. Ageing and Society 27, 799–810. , & (
- 2004) “Hell, I’m an addict, but I ain’t no junkie”: an ethnographic analysis of aging heroin users. Human Organization 63(2), 236–245. (
- 1994) Reminiscence Reviewed. Perspectives, Evaluations, Achievements. Open University Press, Buckingham. (
- 2005) Ageing Well. Quality of Life in Old Age. Open University Press, Maidenhead. (
- 2005a) Older substance misusers still deserve better services – an update (Part 1). Reviews in Clinical Gerontology 15, 125–133. & (
- 2005b) Older substance misusers still deserve better services – an update (Part 2). Reviews in Clinical Gerontology 15, 255–262. & (
- 2006) Older substance misusers still deserve better services – an update (Part 3). Reviews in Clinical Gerontology 16, 45–57. & (
- 1992) Health-care barriers and utilization patterns among intravenous drug users with HIV disease. AIDS & Public Policy Journal 7, 187–197. (
- 2008) Risk of hepatitis C virus transmission through drug preparation equipment: a systematic and methodological review. Journal of Viral Hepatitis 15, 279–292. , , , & (
- 1994) Handbook of Qualitative Research. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA. & (
- DH (2000) The NHS Plan. Department of Health, London.
- DH (2006) Our Health, Our Care, Our Say: A New Direction for Community Services. The Stationery Office, London.
- Drug Strategy Directorate (1998) Tackling Drugs to Build a Better Britain: The Government’s Ten Year Strategy for Tackling Drugs Misuse. The Stationery Office, London.
- Drug Strategy Directorate (2002) Updated Drug Strategy 2002. Stationery Office, London.
- EMCDDA (2008) Substance Use Among Older Adults: A Neglected Problem.European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, Lisbon, p 4.
- 2005) Reduced drinking with age: is it normal? Addiction Research and Therapy 13(3), 267–280. (
- 2008) Substance misuse among older adults: a neglected but treatable problem. Addiction 103, 347–348. & (
- 2006). Levels of Conviction Following Drug Treatment: Linking Data from the National Treatment Outcome Research Study and Offenders’ Index. Findings 275, Home Office, London. , , & (
- 2009) The social capital of older people. Ageing and Society 29, 5–32. (
- 2003) Substance abuse treatment need among older adults in 2020: the impact of the aging baby-boom cohort. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 69(2), 127–135. , , & (
- Home Office (2008) Drugs: Protecting Families and Communities. The 2008 Drug Strategy. Home Office, London.
- HPA (2008) Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, Health Protection Scotland, National Public Health Service for Wales, Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre Northern Ireland, Centre for Research on Drugs & Health Behaviour, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Shooting Up: Infections Among Injecting Drug Users in the United Kingdom 2007: An Update: 2008. Health Protection Agency, London.
- 2001) Effects of program and patient characteristics on retention of drug treatment patients. Evaluation and Program Planning 24, 331–341. , , , & (
- 2004) Health conditions among aging narcotic addicts: medical examination results. Journal of Behavioural Medicine 27(6), 607–622. , , , , & (
- 2003) Late-onset crack users: an emergent HIV risk group. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 33(Suppl. 2), S229–S232. & (
- 2005) The drug career of the older injector. Addiction Research and Theory 13(3), 245–258. & (
- 1995) The significance of saturation. Qualitative Health Research 5(2), 147–149. (
- 2009) The Lost Child. A True Story. Bloomsbury Publishing, London. (
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (2003) Preventing Drug Use among Children and Adolescents: A Research-based Guide for Parents, Educators and Community Leaders, 2nd edn. National Institute on Drug Abuse, Bethesda, MD.
- 2005) Between family and friends: a longitudinal study of friendship choice. British Journal of Sociology 56(3), 433–450. & (
- 2004) Personal communities: not simply families of fate or choice. Current Sociology 52(2), 199–221. & (
- 2000) Working carers. Caring workers. In Women Ageing. Changing Identities, Challenging Myths (BernardM., PhillipsJ., MachinL. & Harding DaviesV., eds), Routledge, London. pp. 40–57. (
- 2001) Substance misuse in older adults: an emerging policy priority. NTResearch 6(6), 898–905. & (
- 1999) Drug use among inner city-African American women: the process of memory loss. Qualitative Health Research 9(5), 620–638. (
- 2005) Involving older people in research: methodological issues. Health and Social Care in the Community 13(3), 268–272. , , , , , & (
- Social Exclusion Unit (2006) A Sure Start in Later Life. Stationery Office, London.
- 2000) Death Attitudes and the Older Adult. Theories, Concepts and Applications. Brunner-Routledge, Philadelphia. (
- 1998) Tolerate, engage or withdraw: a study of the structure of families coping with alcohol and drug problems in South West England and Mexico City. Addiction 93(12), 1799–1813. , , , , , , , , & (
- UK Alcohol, Drugs and the Family Research Group (2003) Alcohol, drugs and the family: results from a long running research programme within the UK. European Addiction Research 9(3), 103–112. , &
- 2004) Growing Older: Quality of Life in Old Age. Open University Press, Maidenhead. & (
- WHO (2000). Hepatitis C. Fact Sheet No 164. World Health Organisation, Geneva.
- 2008) National Evaluation of Partnerships for Older People Projects: Interim Report of Progress. Report to Department of Health, London. Retrieved from http://www.dh.gov.uk on October 2008. , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1996) Vascular complications of injecting drug misuse. British Journal of Surgery 83, 1329–1334. & (