Nurse prescribing roles in acute care: an evaluative case study
Version of Record online: 15 NOV 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal of Advanced Nursing © 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 67, Issue 1, pages 117–126, January 2011
How to Cite
Jones, K., Edwards, M. and While, A. (2011), Nurse prescribing roles in acute care: an evaluative case study. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 67: 117–126. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05490.x
- Issue online: 12 DEC 2010
- Version of Record online: 15 NOV 2010
- Accepted for publication 3 September 2010
- 2005) Extended prescribing by UK nurses and pharmacists. British Medical Journal 331, 1154–1155. & (
- 2007) The impact of non-medical prescribing on practice. Nurse Prescribing, 5(11), 488–492. , , & (
- 2006) Attitudes towards, and information needs in relation to, supplementary nurse prescribing in the UK: an empirical study. Journal of Clinical Nursing 15, 22–28. , & (
- 2008) An Evaluation of Supplementary Prescribing in Nursing and Pharmacy. University of Sheffield, Sheffield. , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Impact of nurse prescribing: a qualitative study. Journal of Advanced Nursing 59(2), 120–128. & (
- 2001) The patient’s view: the benefits and limitations of nurse prescribing. British Journal of Community Nursing 6(7), 342–348. , , , & (
- 2002) Lessons learned from testing the quality cost model of Advanced Practice (APN) transitional care. Journal of Nursing Scholarship 34(4), 369–375. , , , , , , , , & (
- 1995) A meta-analysis of nurse practitioners and nurse midwives in primary care. Nursing Research 44(6), 332–339. & (
- 2004) Skill-mix and policy change in the health workforce: nurses in advanced roles. OECD Health working paper 17, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, France. & (
- 2004) Implementing Nurse Prescribing: An Updated Review of Current Practice Internationally. International Council of Nurses, Geneva. & (
- 2007) Supplementary nurse prescribing for patients with skin conditions: a national questionnaire survey. Journal of Clinical Nursing 16, 1230–1237. , & (
- 2008) An evaluation of a Diabetes Specialist Nurse prescriber on the system of delivering medicines to patients with diabetes. Journal of Clinical Nursing 17, 1635–1644. , , , & (
- Chief Medical Officer Update (2005) Changes to non-medical prescribing. CMO Update 43, 2.
- 2005) Independent prescribing: pharmacists are given flexibility of a full formulary. The Pharmaceutical Journal 275, 627–628. (
- 2008) Nurse independent prescribing and nurse supplementary prescribing practice: a national survey. Journal of Advanced Nursing 61(3), 291–299. & (
- 2006) Preparing nurses to prescribe medicines for patients with dermatological conditions. Journal of Advanced Nursing 55(6), 698–707. , & (
- 2007a) Independent extended and supplementary nurse prescribing practice in the UK: a national questionnaire survey. International Journal of Nursing Studies 44, 1093–1101. , & (
- 2007b) Independent extended nurse prescribing for patients with skin conditions: a national questionnaire survey. Journal of Clinical Nursing 16, 1247–1255. , & (
- 2005) Access to the whole BNF: a long awaited triumph or the wrong decision? Nurse Prescribing 3(6), 228–229. & (
- Department of Health (2002) Extending Independent Nurse Prescribing within the NHS in England. A Guide for Implementation. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2006) Medicines Matters. A Guide to Mechanisms for the Prescribing, Supply and Administration of Medicines. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2008a) High Quality Care for All. NHS Next Stage Review Final Report. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2008b) Framing the Nursing and Midwifery Contribution, Driving up the Quality of Care. Department of Health, London.
- 2001) Making Social Science Matter. Why Social Inquiry Fails and How it Can Succeed Again. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. (
- Healthcare Commission (2005) National Survey Programme Outpatient Core Questions Version 4. Retrieved from http://www.nhssurveys.org/survey/320on 19 February 2010.
- 1999) The beliefs about medicines questionnaire: the development and evaluation of a new method for assessing the cognitive representation of medication. Psychology and Health 14, 1–24. , & (
- 2001) Satisfaction with information about medicines scale (SIMS). Quality in Health Care 10, 135–140. , & (
- 2002) Systematic review of whether nurse practitioners working in primary care can provide equivalent care to doctors. British Medical Journal 324, 819–823. , & (
- 1990) The case study approach. In Advancing Nursing Science Through Research, Volume 2 (MoodyL.E., ed.), Sage Publications Inc, Thousand Oaks, pp. 177–213. (
- 2004) Supplementary prescribing by a diabetes specialist nurse on a hospital ward. Nurse Prescribing 2(3), 112–116. (
- King’s College London (2004) Objective Structured Clinical Examination: Non-medical Prescribing OSCE Station 1: 24.05.05. King’s College, London.
- 2004) Effectiveness of nurse prescribing: a review of the literature. Journal of Clinical Nursing 13(1), 26–32. & (
- 2005) An Evaluation of Extended Formulary Independent Nurse Prescribing, Executive Summary of Final Report. Policy Research Programme at the Department of Health. University of Southampton, Southampton. , , , , & (
- 2005) Substitution of Doctors by Nurses in Primary Care (Cochrane Review). John Wiley and Sons Ltd, Chichester. , , , , & (
- 1951) Theory in Social Science: Selected Theoretical Papers (CartwrightD., ed.), Harper and Brothers, New York. (
- 2004) Nurse prescribers’ experiences of prescribing. Journal of Clinical Nursing 13, 796–805. & (
- 2002) Nurse prescribing from the community nurses perspective. International Journal of Pharmaceutics Practice 10, 273–280. & (
- 1997) Evaluation of Nurse Prescribing – Final Report. University of Liverpool, Liverpool. , , , , , , & (
- 1994) Qualitative data analysis for applied policy research. In Analyzing Qualitative Data (BrymanA. & BurgessR., eds), Routledge, London, pp. 173–194. & (
- 2001) Nurse prescribing: views on autonomy and independence. British Journal of Community Nursing 6(7), 350–355. (
- 2006) The rise and rise of non-medical prescribing. Quality in Primary Care 14, 1–3. (
- 1995) The Art of Case Study Research. Sage Publications Inc, Thousand Oaks. (
- 2008a) Benefits of nurse prescribing for patients in pain: nurses’ views. Journal of Advanced Nursing 63(1), 27–35. & (
- 2008b) The role of inter-professional relationships and support for nurse prescribing in acute and chronic pain. Journal of Advanced Nursing 63(3), 276–283. & (
- 1997) Costs and effectiveness of a nurse specialist anticoagulant service. Journal of Clinical Pathology 50(10), 823–828. , , , , & (
- 2004) Benefits and challenges of nurse prescribing. Journal of Advanced Nursing 45(6), 559–567. & (
- 1994) Evaluating the clinical nurse specialist. A review. International Journal of Nursing Studies 31(6), 561–571. & (
- World Health Organisation (2006) Gaining Health. The European Strategy for the Prevention and Control of Non-communicable Diseases. Regional Committee for Europe. World Health Organisation, Geneva.
- 2003) Case Study Research Design and Methods, 3rd edn (Applied social research methods series volume 5). Sage Publications Inc, Thousand Oaks. (