Interprofessional working or role substitution? A discussion of the emerging roles in emergency care
Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 68, Issue 8, pages 1894–1903, August 2012
How to Cite
Hoskins, R. (2012), Interprofessional working or role substitution? A discussion of the emerging roles in emergency care. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68: 1894–1903. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05867.x
- Issue online: 10 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2011
- Accepted for publication 24 September 2011
- 1988) The System of Professions – A Study of the Division of Expert Labour. University of Chicago Press, London. (
- 2003) Improving the Patient Experience in Accident and Emergency. RCN, London. (
- 1999) Interprofessional working: an ethnographic case study of emergency health care. Journal of Interprofessional Care 2(13), 139–150. , & (
- Audit Commission (1996) By Accident or Design? Improving A&E Services in England and Wales. HMSO, London.
- 2009) From territoriality to altruism in interprofessional collaboration and leadership. Journal of Interprofessional Care 23(4), 320–330. & (
- 2005) Effective Interprofessional Education: Argument, Assumption and Evidence. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford. , , , & (
- 2008) Professional differences in interprofessional working. Journal of Interprofessional Care 22(3), 239–251. & (
- 2005) Nurses are autonomous professionals delivering expert care (letter). BMJ 330, 1084. & (
- 2000) Challenging medicine: the case of podiatric surgery. Work, Employment and Society 14(2), 369–383. (
- 2004) Doctors and nurses in emergency care: where are we now? Trauma 6, 211–216. & (
- BMA Scotland (2008) Physician Assistants: BMA Scotland Position Paper. BMA, Scotland.
- 2003) Reconfiguring the clinical workforce. In The Future Health Workforce (Davies C., ed.), Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, pp. 68–83. & (
- CAIPE (2002) Interprofessional Education: A Definition. Centre for the Advancement of Interprofessional Education, London.
- 2005) Doctors in Society: Medical Professionalism in a Changing World. Royal College of Physicians, London, pp. 39–44. (
- 1995) Professionalism and inter-professionalism in health and community care: some theoretical issues. In Interprofessional Issues in Community and Primary Health Care (Owens P., Carrier J. & Horder J., eds), Macmillan, London, pp. 9–36. & (
- 2007) A systematic review of the impact of nurse practitioners on cost, quality of care, satisfaction and wait time in the emergency department. CJEM 9(4), 286–295. & (
- 1999) An evaluation of the nurse practitioner role in a major rural emergency department. Journal of Advanced Nursing 30, 260–268. , , , , , , & (
- 2002) The effect of a separate stream for minor injuries on accident and emergency times. EMJ 19, 28–30. , & (
- Coopers & Lybrand Health Practice (1996) Nurse Practitioner Evaluation Report. Cooper & Lybrand, London.
- 1998) Roles of non-physicians clinicians and autonomous providers of patient care. Journal of the American Medical Association 280(9), 795–802. (
- 2001) Healthcare workforce for the twenty-first century; the impact of non-physician clinicians. Annual Review of Medicine 52, 51–61. (
- 2002) Evaluating emergency nurse practitioner services: a randomised controlled trial. Journal of Advanced Nursing 40, 721–730. , , & (
- 2007) Interprofessional working: communication, collaboration…perspiration!. International Journal of Palliative Nurse 13(10), 502–505. (
- 1995) Gender and the Professional Predicament in Nursing. Open University, Buckingham. (
- Department of Health (1997), The New NHS Modern, Dependable.
- Department of Health (2000) The NHS Plan: A Plan for Investment, A Plan for Reform. Crown copyright, London.
- Department of Health (2001) Reforming Emergency Care. Crown copyright, London.
- Department of Health (2002) Liberating the Talents: Helping Primary Care Trusts and Nurses to Deliver the NHS Plan. Crown copyright, London.
- Department of Health (2003) Freedom to Practise: Exploding the Myths. Crown copyright, London.
- Department of Health (2006) Modernising Nursing Careers – Setting the Direction. Crown copyright, London.
- Department of Health (2008) High Quality Care for All – NHS Next Stage Review Final Report. Crown copyright, London.
- 1997) Nurse practitioners: role in A&E and primary care. Nursing Standard 11(17), 33–38. , & (
- 1997) A literature review of advanced clinical nursing in the USA. Journal of Advanced Nursing 25, 814–819. (
- 2009) Evaluation of Physicians Assistants to NHS Scotland. UHI Millennium Institute, Scotland. , , , & (
- 2006) Developing interprofessional working in primary care. Practice Development in Health Care 6(2), 107–118. & (
- 2001) Multidisciplinary teamwork: the good, bad, and everything in between. Quality in Health Care 10, 65–66. (
- 1988) Profession of Medicine: A Study of the Sociology of Applied Knowledge. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. (
- 2007) Patient satisfaction with an ENP service: results from two metropolitan emergency departments. Australasian Emergency Nurse Journal 10(4), 220–225. & (
- 1998) Interprofessional working and continuing medical education. BMJ 316, 771–774. , & (
- 2011) Evaluating new roles within emergency care: a literature review. International Emergency Nursing 19(3), 125–140. (
- 2007) Pessimism and optimism in interprofessional working: the Sedgefield Integrated Team. Journal of Interprofessional Care 21(1), 3–15. (
- 1988) When nurse knows best: some aspects of nurse/doctor interaction in a casualty department. Sociology of Health & Illness 1(10), 1–22. (
- 1996) The managerial and clinical implications of patient-focused care. Journal of Management in Medicine 10(3), 59–77. (
- 2008) Ten years on: an overview of the nurse practitioner in Victoria: role progressions and sustainability. Australasian Emergency Nurse Journal 11(4), 205–209. & (
- 2001) Learning from Bristol: The Report of the Public Inquiry into Children’s Heart Surgery at the Bristol Royal Infirmary 1984–1995. TSO, London. (
- Laming Lord (2003) Inquiry into the Death of Victoria Climbie. TSO, London.
- Laming Lord (2009) The Protection of Children in England: A Progress Report. TSO, London.
- 2005) Substitution of doctors by nurses in primary care. Cochrane Database Systematic Review (2), CD001271, doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD001271.pub2. , , , , & (
- 1994) Going Interprofessional: Working Together for Health and Welfare. Routledge, London. (
- 2010) The complexities of interprofessional learning/working: has the agenda lost it’s way? Health Education Journal 69(1), 4–12. (
- 2002) Nurse practitioners and physicians assistants in hospital outpatient departments 1997-1999. Nursing Economics 20(4), 174–179. , , & (
- 1998) Clarifying higher level roles in nursing practice. Professional Nurse 14(3), 159–163. (
- 2006) Effect of an extended scope physiotherapy service on patient satisfaction and the outcome of soft tissue injuries in an adult emergency department. Emergency Medicine Journal 23, 384–387. , & (
- 2001) Working and Learning together: good quality care depends on it, but how do we achieve it? Quality in Health Care 10(Suppl. II), 46–53. , & (
- 1995) Nurse practitioners in major A&E departments: a national survey. Journal of A&E Medicine 12(3), 177–181. , , & (
- 2010) Professional boundaries and interprofessional working. In Understanding Interprofessional Working in Health and Social Care (Pollard K.C., Thomas J. & Miers M., eds), Palgrave Macmillan, Hampshire, pp. 105–120. (
- 2004) Producing Welfare; A Modern Agenda. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke. (
- 2007) The ‘4-hour target’: emergency nurses’ views. EMJ 24, 402–404. & (
- 2005) Dynamic professional boundaries in the healthcare workforce. Sociology of Health & Illness 7, 897–919. & (
- 1997) Interprofessional Working for Health & Social Care. Macmillan, London. , & (
- 2010) The medicalization thesis. In Understanding Interprofessional Working in Health and Social Care (Pollard K.C., Thomas J. & Miers M., eds), Palgrave Macmillan, Hampshire, pp. 121–137. (
- 1984) Nurse practitioner and physician care compared for non urgent emergency room patients. Nurse Practitioner 9, 44–45. , & (
- The Office for Public Management (1999) Opinion Research for the NHS Plan. The Office for Public Management, London.
- 1999) Care of minor injuries by emergency nurse practitioners or junior doctors: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 354, 1319–1326. , , , , & (
- 2003) Emergency nurse practitioners: a three part study in clinical and cost effectiveness. Emergency Medical Journal 20, 158–163. , , , , & (
- 2009) The politics of interprofessional working and the struggle for professional autonomy in nursing. Social Science & Medicine 68, 1221–1228. & (
- Skills for Health (2006) Delivering a Flexible Workforcet to Support Health and Health Services – The Case for Change. Skills for Health, Bristol.
- 2007) Shared learning in the National Health Service. Postgraduate Medical Journal 83, 359–361. (
- 1967) The doctor-nurse game. Archive of General Psychiatry 16, 699–703. (
- 1997) Promoting Interprofessional Collaboration. Newsletter of European Network for the Development of Multiprofessional Education in Health Sciences Feb 12. (
- 2006) Task substitution: the view of the Australian Medical Association. MJA 185(1), 27–28. (
- 2006) Knowledge translation and interprofessional collaboration: where the rubber of evidence based care hits the road of teamwork. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions 26, 46–54. & (