Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
Randomized controlled trial of a lay-facilitated angina management programme
Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 68, Issue 10, pages 2267–2279, October 2012
How to Cite
Furze, G., Cox, H., Morton, V., Chuang, L.-H., Lewin, R. J.P., Nelson, P., Carty, R., Norris, H., Patel, N. and Elton, P. (2012), Randomized controlled trial of a lay-facilitated angina management programme. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68: 2267–2279. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05920.x
- Issue online: 6 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2012
- Accepted for publication 28 November 2011
- 2011) International data on supportive therapies at 1 year in acute coronary syndrome patients undergoing PCI: results from the APTOR study. European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation 18(3), 518–525. , , , , , & (
- 2007) Core components of cardiac rehabilitation/secondary prevention programs: 2007 update. Circulation 115(20), 2675–2682. , , , , , , , & (
- British Association for Cardiac Rehabilitation (2007) Standards and Core Components for Cardiac Rehabilitation. BACR, London.
- 1996) Euroqol: the current state of play. Health Policy 37, 53–72. (
- for the SECOR?SBU Project Group (2002) Quality of life of patients with chronic stable angina before and four years after coronary revascularization compared with a normal population. Heart 87, 140–145. , , , &
- 2006) Self management of arthritis in primary care: randomized controlled trial. BMJ 333(7574), 879. , , , , , , & (
- 2006) Determinants of referral to cardiac rehabilitation programs in patients with coronary artery disease: a systematic review. American Heart Journal 151, 249–256. & (
- 2007) Home-based versus hospital-based rehabilitation after myocardial infarction: a randomized trial with preference arms – Cornwall Heart Attack Rehabilitation Management Study (CHARMS). International Journal of Cardiology 119(2), 202–211. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2010) Home based versus centre based cardiac rehabilitation: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis. British Medical Journal 340, b5631. doi: 10.1136/bmj.b5631. , , , & (
- Department of Health (2000) The NHS Plan: A Plan for Investment, A Plan for Reform. Stationery Office, London (Cm; 4818-1).
- Department of Health (2005) Self Care – A Real Choice. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (20089) NHS Reference Costs 2008/2009. Department of Health, London.
- 2006) Guidelines on the management of stable angina pectoris: full text. European Heart Journal 27, 1341–1381. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2003) Development of the York Angina Beliefs Questionnaire. Journal of Health Psychology 8, 307–316. , , & (
- 2005) Does it matter what patients think? The relationship between changes in patients’ beliefs about angina and their psychological and functional status. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 59, 323–329. , , , & (
- 2009) “Prehabilitation” prior to CABG surgery improves physical functioning and depression. International Journal of Cardiology 132(1), 51–58. , , , , & (
- 2001) The UK version of the Seattle Angina Questionnaire (SAQ-UK): reliability, validity and responsiveness. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 54, 907–915. , & (
- 2010) Randomized controlled trials of interventions to change maladaptive illness beliefs in people with coronary heart disease: systematic review. Journal of Advanced Nursing 66(5), 946–961. , & (
- 2009) The Birmingham rehabilitation uptake maximization study (BRUM): a randomized controlled trial comparing home-based with centre-based cardiac rehabilitation. Heart 95(1), 36–42. , , , , , , & (
- 2007) The effectiveness and cost effectiveness of a national lay-led self care support programme for patients with long-term conditions: a pragmatic randomized controlled trial. British Medical Journal 61(3), 254–261. , , , , , , , & (
- 2002) A randomized controlled trial of a self-management plan for patients with newly diagnosed angina. British Journal of General Practice 52, 194–201. , , , , , & (
- 2004) Development of the BACR/BHF minimum dataset for cardiac rehabilitation. British Journal of Cardiology 11, 300–301. , & (
- 2010) The National Audit of Cardiac Rehabilitation: 4th Annual Statistical Report 2010. British Heart Foundation, London. , , , & (
- 1994) Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions: Self Management of Heart Disease, Arthritis, Stroke, Diabetes, Asthma, Bronchitis, Emphysema, & Others. Bull Publishing Company, Palo Alto, CA. , , , , & (
- 1999) Evidence suggesting that a chronic disease self-management program can improve health status while reducing hospitalization. Medical Care 37(1), 5–14. , , , , , , , & (
- 2001a) Chronic disease self-management program: 2-year health status and health care utilization outcomes. Medical Care 39, 1217–1223. , , , , , , , & (
- 2001b) Effect of a self-management program on patients with chronic disease. Effective Clinical Practice 4, 256–262. , , , & (
- 1994) Comparative health status of patients with 11 common illnesses in Wales. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 48, 388–390. , & (
- 2002) Living with angina pectoris: a phenomenological study. European Journal of Cardiac Nursing 1, 265–272. (
- 2008a) Effectiveness of psychoeducational interventions for improving symptoms, health-related quality of life, and psychologial well-being in patients with stable angina. Current Cardiology Reviews 4, 1–11. , , , & (
- 2008b) Cost of illness for chronic stable angina patients enrolled in a self-management education trial. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 24, 759–764. , , , , & (
- 2008c) Randomized controlled trial of a psychoeducation program for the self-management of chronic cardiac pain. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 36(2), 126–140. , , , , & (
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (2008) Guide to the Methods of Technology Appraisal. NICE, London.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (2011) CG126: Stable Angina (Full Guideline). National Clinical Guidelines Centre, London.
- Personal Social Service Research Unit (PSSRU) (2009) Unit Costs of Health and Social Care 2009. University of Kent, Canterbury.
- Committee, o.b.o.t.A.H.A.S. & Stroke Statistics Subcommittee (2010) Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics--2011 Update: A Report from the American Heart Association. Circulation 123, e18–e209. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2010) Coronary Heart Disease Statistics. BHF, London. , , , , & (
- 2010) CONSORT 2010 Statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomized trials. BMJ 340, c332. , & (
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guideline Network (2007) Management of Stable Angina: A National Clinical Guideline. No 96. SIGN, Edinburgh.
- 2002) Health status predicts long-term outcome in outpatients with coronary disease. Circulation 106(1), 43–49. , , , & (
- 2006) Costs, effects and C/E-ratios alongside a clinical trial. Health Economics 3(5), 309–319. , , & (
- 2008) Current status of cardiac rehabilitation. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 51, 1619–1631. (
- 2011) Evaluating the angina plan in patients admitted to hospital with angina: a randomized controlled trial. Cardiovascular Therapeutics 29, 112–124. , , , & (
- 1983) The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavia 67, 361–370. & (