Using an ecological understanding of farmland to reconcile nature conservation requirements, EU agriculture policy and world trade agreements
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 35, Issue 6, pages 949–954, December 1998
How to Cite
BIGNAL, E. M. (1998), Using an ecological understanding of farmland to reconcile nature conservation requirements, EU agriculture policy and world trade agreements. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35: 949–954. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.1998.tb00013.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received 21 July 1998; revision received 10 September 1998
- 1997) Necessity for integration of agricultural, regional and environmental policy for disadvantaged rural areas. Livestock Systems in European Rural Development Proceedings of the 1st conference of the LSIRD Network (eds. J.P.Laker & J.A.Milne), pp. 115–124. MLURI, Aberdeen . & (
- 1997) Environmental Considerations for the Reform of the CAP Olive Oil Regime. EFNCP Occasional Publication Number 3, January 1997. (
- 1998a) Update: Environmental Considerations for the Reform of the CAP Olive Oil Regime. EFNCP Occasional Publication, Number 14, March 1998. (
- 1998b) The EU Habitats Directive in Spain: can it contribute effectively to the conservation of extensive agro-ecosystems Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 974–978. (
- 1994) The Nature of Farming: Low Intensity Farming Systems in Nine European Countries. Institute for European Environmental Policy: London . , & (
- Bignal, E. (ed. (1998) La nature de l'agriculture: Les systèmes d'agriculture à grande valeur naturelle - L'agriculture, extensive duns neuf pays européens. European Forum on Nature Conservation and Pastoralism, in association with the Institute for European Environmental Policy, February 1988.
- 1996) The EU's Agri-Environment Regulation No. 2078/92: Examples of Environmental Benefits. EFNCP Occasional Publication. Number 8, September 1996. , & (
- 1997) The Social Life of the Chough. British Wildlife, 8, 373–383. , & (
- Bignal, E.M. & Curtis, D. J. (eds. (1989) Choughs and Land Use in Europe. Scottish Chough Study Group: Argyll .
- 1993) Nature conservation and pastoral farming in the British uplands. British Wild, 4, 367–376. & (
- 1996) Low-intensity farming systems in the conservation of the countryside. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 413–424. & (
- 1994) The Nature of Farming: Traditional Lou, Intensity Farming and its Importance for Wildlife. World Wide Fund for Nature International: Brussels . , , & (
- 1991) Environmentally sustainable economic development: building on Brundlandt. UNESCO: Paris . , , & (
- 1997) Possible Options, for the Better Integration of Environmental Concerns into the Various Systems of Support for Animal Products. Report to the European Commission DG XI by CEAS Consultants (Wye) Ltd. Centre for European Agricultural Studies and the European Forum on Nature Conservation and Pastoralism. EFNCP Occasional Publication, Number 9, March 1997. , , & (
- Goss, S., Bignal, E. & Pienkowski, M. (eds. (1998) Agenda 2000 and Prospects for the Environment. EFNCP Occasional Publication, Number 16, March 1998.
- 1998) Applying the results of ecological studies to land-use policies and practices. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 961–967. & (
- Mitchell, K. (ed. (1996) The Common Agricultural Policy and Environmental Practices. Proceedings of the seminar organized by the European Forum on Nature Conservation and Pastoralism at COPA, Brussels on 29 January 1996. EFNCP Occasional Publication, Number 1.
- 1998) The management of nature conservation sites designated under Natura 2000. Journal of Applied Ecology. 35, 968–973. (
- 1998) Agri-environment schemes and their contribution to the conservation of biodiversity in England. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 955–960. , & (
- Pain, D.J. & Pienkowski, M. W. (eds. (1996) Farming and Birds in Europe: the Common Agricultural Policy und its Implications for Bird Conservation. Academic: London .
- 1996) The marginalisation of olive oil cultivation in the hill and mountain districts of central Italy. The Common Agricultural Policy und Environmental Practices (ed. K.Mitchell), pp. 61–67. Proceedings of the seminar organised by the European Forum on Nature Conservation and Pastoralism at COPA, Brussels on 29 January 1996. EFNCP Occasional Publication, Number 1. (
- 1993) Objectives for nature conservation in European agriculture. A Future for Europe's Farmed Countryside (eds. J.B.Dixon, A.J.Stones & I.R.Hepburn), pp. 2143. Proceedings of an international conference. Studies in European Agriculture and Environment Policy No. I. RSPB, Sandy , Bedfordshire . & (
- 1995) A simplified classification of broad land-type zones to assist the integration of biodiversity objectives in the development of land-use policies. Biological Conservation, 75, 11–25. , , , , , & (
- 1996) A central European approach for the protection of biodiversity. Nature Conservation outside Protected Areas (ed. D.Ogrin), pp. 91–118. Conference Proceedings, Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning, Ljubljana. (
- Poole, A., Pienkowski, M., McCracken, D.I., Petretti, F., Brédy, C. & Deffeyes, C. (eds. (1998) Mountain Livestock Farming and EU Policy Development. Proceedings of the Fifth European Forum on Nature Conservation and Pastoralism, 18–21 September 1996, Cogne, Valle d'Aosta, Italy. Regione Autonoma Valle d'Aosta, Aosta & EFNCP. Islay.
- Stanners, D. & Bourdeau, P. (eds. (1995) Europe's Environment: the Dohriš Assessment. (European Environment Agency) Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg .
- 1997a) The Ecology of Pastoralism in the New Forest. British Wildlife, 9, 7–16. (
- 1997b) A vision for rural Europe. British Wildlife, 9, 79–85. (
- WWF (1998) Response to the Agenda 2000 proposals. World Wide Fund for Nature: Brussels .