Agri-environment schemes and their contribution to the conservation of biodiversity in England
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 35, Issue 6, pages 955–960, December 1998
How to Cite
OVENDEN, G. N., SWASH, A. R.H. and SMALLSHIRE, D. (1998), Agri-environment schemes and their contribution to the conservation of biodiversity in England. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35: 955–960. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.1998.tb00014.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received 20 July 1998; revision received 8 September 1998
- 1993) Competition between dominant plant species in heathlands. Heathlands: Patterns and Process1.s iii a Changing Environment (eds. R.Aerts & G. W.Heil), pp. 125–151. Kluwer, Dordrecht . (
- 1997) Current Status and Prospects, for Key Hubitats in England: Part I Lowland heath landscapes. Department of the Environment: Transport and the Regions , London . (
- Cm, 2428 (1994) Biodiversity: The UK Action Plan. HMSO: London .
- Cramp, S. & Perrins, C. M. (eds. (1994) The Birds of the Western Palaearctic, Vol. IX. Oxford University Press, Oxford .
- Devon Biodiversity Partnership (1998) The Nature of Devon A Biodiversity Action Plan. Exeter.
- DOE (1995) Biodiversity: the UK Steering Croup Report. HMSO: London .
- English Nature (1998) Natural Areas: nature conservation in context. CD rom. English Nature, Peterborough .
- 1992) The numbers and distribution of cirl buntings Emberiza cirlus breeding in Britain in 1989. Bird Study, 39, 17–22. (
- 1997) Cirl buntings in Britain. British Birds, 90, 267–282. (
- 1997) Seasonal variation in breeding performance and nestling diet of cirl bunting Emberiza cirlus in England. Bird Study., 44, 66–79. , , & (
- 1989) The different types and importance of British heaths. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society, 101, 291–299. (
- 1993) Lowland Heathland: the extent of habitat change. English Nature Science Report No. 12. English Nature, Peterborough . (
- 1997) English Environmentally Sensitive Areas. Proceedings of the OECD Seminar on Environmental Benefits from Agriculture, Helsinki, September 1996. (
- MAFF (1994) Environmentally Sensitive Area Scheme: Environmental objectives and performance indicators for ESAs in England. Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food: London .
- 1998) Applying the results of ecological studies to land-use policies and practices. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 961–967. & (
- 1996) Processes of Countryside Change in Britain. Department of the Environment: London . & (
- 1991) A study of foraging behaviour and parental care in the cirl hunting Emberiza cirlus. MSc Thesis, University of Aberdeen. (
- 1997) Environmentally Sensitive Areas in the UK and their grassland resource. Grassland Management in Environmentally Sensitive Arm (ed. R.Sheldrick), pp. 3443. Occasional Symposium of the British Grassland Society No. 32. BGS, Reading . (
- 1994) Birds in Europe: Their Conservation Status. Birdlife International: Cambridge . & (
- UK Biodiversity Group (1998) Tranche 2 Action Plans: Vol. 1-vertebrates and vascular plants. English Nature, Peterborough .
- 1986) Heathlands. Collins: London . (
- 1994) Comparison of Lund Cover Definitions. Department of the Environment: London . , , , , & (