Applying the results of ecological studies to land-use policies and practices
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 35, Issue 6, pages 961–967, December 1998
How to Cite
McCRACKEN, D. I. and BIGNAL, E. M. (1998), Applying the results of ecological studies to land-use policies and practices. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35: 961–967. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.1998.tb00015.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received 19 July 1998; revision received 30 July 1998
- 1997) Farmland bird declines: patterns, processes and prospects. BCPC Symposium Proceedings no. 69: Biodiversity and Conservation in Agriculture, 53–63. British Crop Protection Council, Brighton . , & (
- 1994) The Nature of Farming: Low-Intensity Farming Systems in Nine European Countries. Institute for European Environmental Policy: London . , & (
- 1991) Insect fauna and grassland birds. Birds and Pastoral Agriculture in Europe (eds. D.J.Curtis, E.M.Bignal & M.A.Curtis), pp. 97–101. Scottish Chough Study Group, Argyll and Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough . (
- 1990) Feeding ecology of charadriiform chicks in agricultural grassland. Ardea, 79, 31–44. , , & (
- 1996) Cultural Landscapes: The Conservation Challenge in a Changing Europe. Institute for European Environmental Policy: Arnhem . (
- 1997) The social life of the chough. British Wildlife, 8, 373–383. , & (
- 1989) Choughs and Land-Use in Europe. Scottish Chough Study Group: Argyll . & (
- 1992a) Nature conservation and pastoral farming in the British uplands. British Wildlife, 4, 367–376. & (
- 1992b) Prospects for Nature Conservation in European Pastoral Farming Systems. Joint Nature Conservation Committee: Peterborough . & (
- 1996a) The ecological resources of European farmland. The European Environment and CAP Reform: Policies and Proposals for conservation (ed. M.Whitby), pp. 26–42. Centre for Agriculture and Biosciences International, Wallingford . & (
- 1996b) Low-intensity farming systems in the conservation of the countryside. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 413424. & (
- 1996) Feeding behaviour of nesting choughs in the Scottish Hebrides. Journal of Field Ornithology, 67, 25–43. , , & (
- 1987) Breeding success and post-fledging survival in the Chough Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax. Bird Study, 34, 39–42. , , , , & (
- 1998) Clutch and egg size in the chough Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax on Islay, Scotland. Bird Study, 45, 122–126. , , & (
- Bignal, E.M., McCracken, D.I. & Curtis, D. J. (eds. (1994) Nature Conservation and Pastoralism in Europe. Joint Nature Conservation Committee: Peterborough .
- 1998) The influence of grassland management on body size in ground beetles and its bearing on the conservation of wading birds. European Wet Grasslands: Biodiversity, Management and Restoration (eds. C.B.Joyce & P.M.Wade), pp. 163–169. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester . & (
- 1994). Effects of habitat type and grassland management practices on the body size distribution of carabid beetles. Pedobiologia, 38, 502–512. , , & (
- 1996) Effects of management practices on the carabid faunas of newly-established wildflower meadows in southern Scotland. Annales Zoologici Fennici, 33, 139–147. , , & (
- Curtis, D.J., Bignal, E.M. & Curtis, M. A. (eds. (1991) Birds and Pastoral Agriculture in Europe. Scottish Chough Study Group: Argyll and Joint Nature Conservation Committee , Peterborough .
- Dixon, J., Stanes, A.J. & Hepburn, I. (eds. (1993) A Future for Europe's Farmed Countryside. Royal Society for the Protection of Birds: Sandy .
- 1995) Population declines and range contractions among lowland farmland birds in Britain. Conservation Biology, 9, 1425–1441. , , , , , & (
- Goriup, P.D., Batten, L.A. & Norton, J. A. (eds. (1991) The Conservation of Lowland Dry Grassland Birds in Europe. Joint Nature Conservation Committee: Peterborough .
- Hötker, H., Davidson, N.C. & Fleet, D. M. (eds. (1991) Waders breeding on wet grasslands. Wader Study Group Bulletin, 61 (Suppl.), 1–107.
- McCracken, D.I., Bignal, E.M. & Wenlock, S. E. (eds. (1995) Farming on the Edge: the Nature of Traditional Farmland in Europe. Joint Nature Conservation Committee: Peterborough .
- 1993) Surface-active invertebrate communities and the availability of potential food for the Chough, Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax, on pastures in north-west Islay. Pedobiologia, 37, 141–158. & (
- 1994) Invertebrates, cow dung and the availability of potential food for the Chough, Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax L., on pastures in north-west Islay. Environmental Conservation, 21, 262–266. & (
- 1992) An assessment of chough Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax diet using multivariate analysis methods. Avocetta, 16, 19–29. , , & (
- 1998) Design of grassland feeding areas for waders during winter: the relative importance of sward, landscape factors and human disturbance. Biological Conservation, 84, 119–129. , , , & (
- 1992) Changes in the status of waders breeding on wet lowland grasslands in England and Wales between 1982 and 1989. Bird Study, 39, 165–176. & (
- 1997) Impact of agricultural intensification of pastoral systems on bird distributions in Britain 1970–90. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 64, 19–32. , & (
- 1997) Farming and Birds in Europe: the Common Agricultural Policy and its Implications for Bird Conservation. Academic Press: London . & (
- Poole, A., Petretti, F., Pienkowski, M.W., McCracken, D.I., Petretti, F., Bredy, C. & Deffeyes, C. (eds. (1998) Mountain Livestock Farming and EU Policy Development. European Forum on Nature Conservation and Pastoralism, Isle of Islay, Argyll.
- 1996) Wilderness or cultural landscapes: conflicting conservation philosophies. British Wildlife, 7, 290–296. (
- 1997) A vision for rural Europe. British Wildlife, 9, 79–85. (
- 1994) Birds in Europe: Their conservation Status. BirdLife International: Cambridge . , , & (