The identification of 100 ecological questions of high policy relevance in the UK
Article first published online: 30 MAY 2006
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 43, Issue 4, pages 617–627, August 2006
How to Cite
SUTHERLAND, W. J., ARMSTRONG-BROWN, S., ARMSWORTH, P. R., TOM, B., BRICKLAND, J., CAMPBELL, C. D., CHAMBERLAIN, D. E., COOKE, A. I., DULVY, N. K., DUSIC, N. R., FITTON, M., FRECKLETON, R. P., GODFRAY, H. C. J., GROUT, N., HARVEY, H. J., HEDLEY, C., HOPKINS, J. J., KIFT, N. B., KIRBY, J., KUNIN, W. E., MACDONALD, D. W., MARKER, B., NAURA, M., NEALE, A. R., OLIVER, T., OSBORN, D., PULLIN, A. S., SHARDLOW, M. E. A., SHOWLER, D. A., SMITH, P. L., SMITHERS, R. J., SOLANDT, J.-L., SPENCER, J., SPRAY, C. J., THOMAS, C. D., THOMPSON, J., WEBB, S. E., YALDEN, D. W. and WATKINSON, A. R. (2006), The identification of 100 ecological questions of high policy relevance in the UK. Journal of Applied Ecology, 43: 617–627. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2006.01188.x
- Issue published online: 23 JUN 2006
- Article first published online: 30 MAY 2006
- Received 25 September 2005; final copy received 24 March 2006 Editor: Phil Hulme
- 2005) Avian flu: are we ready? Nature, 435, 399–399. & (
- Anonymous (1992) Report of the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development, Rio de Janeiro 3–14 June 1992. Annex 3. Non-Legally Binding Authoritative Statement of Principles for a Global Consensus on the Management, Conservation and Sustainable Development of All Types of Forest. United. Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, New York, NY.
- Anonymous (1994) Biodiversity. The UK Action Plan. HMSO, London, UK.
- Anonymous (2002) Ministerial Declaration of the Fifth International Conference on the Protection of the North Sea, Bergen, Norway. Minister of the Environment, Bergen, Norway.
- 2000) The potential distribution and impact of bracken in upland Scotland: an assessment using a GIS-based niche model. Annals of Botany, 85, 53–62. , , , & (
- 2001) Better Policy Making. Centre for Management and Policy Studies, Cabinet Office, London, UK. , & (
- Carbon Trust (2003) Investor Perspectives on Renewable Power in the UK. The Carbon Trust, London, UK.
- 2004) Long-term population trends in widespread British moths. Journal of Insect Conservation, 8, 119–136. , , , & (
- 2005) Measuring coral reef decline through meta-analyses. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society London, Series B, 360, 385–395. , , & (
- 2001) Colonization of grassland by sown species: dispersal versus microsite limitation in responses to management. Journal of Applied Ecology, 38, 204–216. , , & (
- Defra (2002) Safeguarding Our Seas: A Strategy for the Conservation and Sustainable Development of Our Marine Environment. Department for Environment and Rural Affairs, London, UK.
- Defra (2003) Delivering the Evidence: Defra's Science and Innovation Strategy, 2003–2006. Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London, UK.
- Defra (2004a) Securing the Benefits. The Joint UK Response to the Prime Minister's Strategy Unit Net Benefits Report on the Future of the Fishing Industry in the UK. Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London, UK.
- Defra (2004b) Making Space for Water. Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London, UK.
- DTI (2003) Our Energy Future: Creating a Low Carbon Economy. Government White Paper. The Stationery Office, London, UK. http://www.dti.gov.UK/energy/whitepaper/ourenergyfuture.pdf .
- 2003) Extinction vulnerability in marine populations. Fish and Fisheries, 4, 25–64. , & (
- European Commission (2003) Good Agricultural and Environmental Condition Framework. Council Regulation 1782/2003 Annex IV. European Commission, Brussels, Belgium.
- 2004a) Foresight, Future Flooding. Scientific Summary. I. Future Risks and their Drivers. Office of Science and Technology, London, UK. , , , , , , & (
- 2004b) Foresight, Future Flooding. Scientific Summary. II. Managing Future Risks. Office of Science and Technology, London, UK. , , , , , & (
- Forestry Commission (1998) UK Forestry Standard: The Government's Approach to Sustainable Forestry. Forestry Commission, Edinburgh, UK.
- 2001) Ecological impacts of increasing numbers of deer in British woodland. Forestry, 74, 193–298. & (
- 2004) Scaling possible adverse effects of marine wind farms on seabirds: developing and applying a vulnerability index. Journal of Applied Ecology, 41, 724–734. & (
- 2005) Urban domestic gardens. II. Experimental tests of methods for increasing biodiversity. Biodiversity Conservation, 14, 395–413. , , & (
- 2004) Ecology and government policies: the GM crop debate. Journal of Applied Ecology, 41, 1–10. (
- 1902) Mathematical problems. Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, 8, 437–479. (
- 1998) The Man who Loved only Numbers: The Story of Paul Erdös and the Search for Mathematical Truth. Hyperion, New York, NY. (
- 2003) Socioeconomics drive urban plant diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy Science USA, 100, 8788–8792. , , , , , , , & (
- 2005) Adapting to climate change: is there scope for ecological management in the face of a global threat? Journal of Applied Ecology, 42, 784–794. (
- 2002) Climate Change Scenarios for the United Kingdom: The UKCip02 Scientific Report. Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK. , , , , , , , , , , & (
- IPCC (2001) Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2004) Fish abundance with no fishing: predictions based on macroecological theory. Journal of Animal Ecology, 73, 632–642. & (
- 2005) Climate change: the science and the policy. Journal of Applied Ecology, 42, 779–783. (
- 2003) How effective are European agri-environment schemes in conserving and promoting biodiversity? Journal of Applied Ecology, 40, 947–969. & (
- 1996) The impact of sport hunting: a case study. The Exploitation of Mammal Populations: 1994 Symposium of the Zoological Society of London (eds N.Dunstone & V. L. Taylor), pp. 160–207. Chapman & Hall, London, UK. & (
- 2000) The impacts of non-native species on UK biodiversity and the effectiveness of control. Journal of Applied Ecology, 37, 845–864. & (
- 2004) Neighbourhood socioeconomic status is a useful predictor of perennial landscape vegetation in residential neighbourhoods and embedded small parks of Phoenix, AZ. Landscape and Urban Planning, 69, 355–368. , & (
- 2001) Risk and uncertainty. Nature, 411, 891. (
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2005) Ecosystems and Human Well-Being. A Framework for Assessment. Island Press, New York, NY.
- 2003) Salmon at the Edge. Blackwell Science, Oxford, UK. (
- 2000) Invasive Species in a Changing World. Island Press, Washington, DC. & (
- 1998) Pollutants and pesticides. Conservation Science and Action (ed. W.J.Sutherland), pp. 66–89. Blackwell Science, Oxford, UK. (
- 2005) Sustainability: A Philosophy of Adaptive Ecosystem Management. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. (
- Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (2000) Our Towns and Cities. http://www.odpm.gov.UK/stellent/groups/odpm_urbanpolicy/documents/page/odpm_urbpol_608358.hcsp .
- 2003) Field sports and conservation. In the United Kingdom Nature, 423, 531–533. , , & (
- 2001) Countryside stewardship delivers cirl buntings (Emberiza cirlus) in Devon, UK. Biological Conservation, 101, 361–373. , , & (
- 2002) Handbook of Ecological Restoration. Volume 1. Principles of Restoration. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. & (
- 1991) A Critique for Ecology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. (
- 1988) Sources, sinks and population regulation. American Naturalist, 133, 652–661. (
- 2001) Effectiveness in conservation practice: pointers from medicine and public health. Conservation Biology, 15, 50–54. & (
- Conservation biology and ‘real world’ conservation. Conservation Biology, in press. (in press)
- 2002) Changes in arable farming and biodiversity in Great Britain. Journal of Applied Ecology, 39, 157–176. & (
- 2004) Global Change and the Earth System: A Planet Under Pressure. Springer, Berlin, Germany. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2004) A blueprint for the countryside. Ibis, 146 (Supplement 1), 120–124. (
- 2006) Predicting the ecological consequences of environmental change: a review of the methods. Journal of Applied Ecology, 43, doi: 10.1111/j.1365.2664.2006.01182.x (in press). (
- 2004) The need for evidence-based conservation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 19, 305–308. , , & (
- UK Biodiversity Group (1999) UK Biodiversity Group Tranche 2 Action Plans. VI. Terrestrial and Freshwater Species and Habitats. English Nature, Peterborough, UK, http://www.UKbap.org.UK/Library/Tranche2_Vol6.pdf .
- 1993) A review of butterfly conservation in central southern Britain. I. Protection, evaluation and extinction on prime sites. Biological Conservation, 64, 25–35. (
- 2000) The south-eastern North Sea: losses of vertebrate fauna during the past 2000 years. Biological Conservation, 95, 209. (
- WSSD (2002) Plan of Implementation of the World Summit on Sustainable Development. UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Division of Sustainable Development, New York, NY.