Ecology, politics and policy
Version of Record online: 13 APR 2007
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 44, Issue 3, pages 465–474, June 2007
How to Cite
LAWTON, J. H. (2007), Ecology, politics and policy. Journal of Applied Ecology, 44: 465–474. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2007.01315.x
- Issue online: 13 APR 2007
- Version of Record online: 13 APR 2007
- Received 27 September 2006; final copy received 9 February 2007 Editor: Phil Hulme
- Anonymous (2006) Voluntary redress system proposed for GM crop contamination. The ENDS Report, 379, 39–40.
- 2003) Measuring the changing state of nature. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 18, 326–330. , & (
- 2000) Releasing genetically modified organisms: will any harmoutweigh any advantage? Journal of Applied Ecology, 37, 207–214. (
- 2006) Climate change and populations declines in a long-distance migratory bird. Nature, 441, 81–83. , , & (
- British Ecological Society (2006) Council's Report. Bulletin of the British Ecological Society, 37, 49–51.
- 2003) Anthropogenic carbon and ocean pH. Nature, 425, 365. & (
- Commission of the European Communities (2006) Communication from the Commission. Halting the Loss of Biodiversity by 2010 – and Beyond. Sustaining Ecosystem Services for Human Well-Being. COM 2006, 216. Commission of the European Communities, Brussels.
- Critical Loads Advisory Group (1994) Critical Loads of Acidity in the United Kingdom. Summary Report. Department of the Environment.
- 2003) Nitrogen: the essential public enemy. Journal of Applied Ecology, 40, 771–781. & (
- Defra (2006) Turning the Tide – Addressing the Impact of Fisheries on the Marine Environment. The UK Government Response to the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution's Twenty-Fifth Report. Cm 6845. The Stationary Office, Norwich.
- 2006) Deep-sea fishes qualify as endangered. Nature, 439, 29. , & (
- 2004) Air and Environment. Swedish NGO Secretariat on Acid Rain, Götenborg. & (
- 2005) Changes in the atmospheric deposition of acidifying compounds in the UK between 1986 and 2001. Environmental Pollution, 137, 15–25. , , , & (
- 2005) The changing face of applied ecology. Journal of Applied Ecology, 42, 1–3 [Editorial]. , , & (
- 2004) Ecology and government policies: the GM crop debate. Journal of Applied Ecology, 41, 1–10. (
- Griffiths, T. & Robin, L., eds (1997) Ecology and Empire. Environmental History of Settler Societies. Keele University Press, Edinburgh.
- 2005) Adapting to climate change: is there scope for ecological management in the face of a global threat? Journal of Applied Ecology, 42, 784–794. (
- 2000) Clarifications. Willingly and Knowingly: the Roles of Knowledge About Nature and the Environment in Policy Processes (ed. ), pp. 147–157. Lemma Publishers, Utrecht. & (
- 2001) Historical overfishing and the recent collapse of coastal ecosystems. Science, 293, 629–638. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2004) Fish abundance with no fishing: predictions based on macroecological theory. Journal of Animal Ecology, 73, 632–642. & (
- 2005) Climate change: the science and the policy. Journal of Applied Ecology, 42, 779–783. (
- 2000) Community Ecology in a Changing World. Excellence in Ecology 11 (ed. ). Ecology Institute, Oldendorf/Luhe. (
- 2006) The Royal Commission on environmental pollution: past, present and future. Science in Parliament, 63, 8–9. , & (
- 2006) Protected areas: a prism for a changing world. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 21, 329–333. (
- 1998) Entering the century of the environment: a new social contract for science. Science, 279, 491–497. (
- 2005) Threats to tomorrow's world. Anniversary Address 2005. Notes and Records of the Royal Society, 60, 109–130. (
- 2006) Should conservation biologists push policies? Nature, 442, 13. (
- 2001) Perverse Subsidies. How Tax Dollars Can Undercut the Environment and the Economy. Island Press, Washington. & (
- NEGTAP (2001) Transboundary Air Pollution: Acidification, Eutrophication and Ground-Level Ozone in the UK. National Expert Group on Transboundary Air Pollution, DEFRA Contract EPG 1/3/153. Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH), Edinburgh.
- 2003) Current issues with fish and fisheries: editor's overview and introduction. Journal of Applied Ecology, 40, 204–213. (
- 2005) Making a difference? Some perspectives on environmental research and policy. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 30, 287–292 [Commentary]. (
- 1999) ‘When knowledge matters’: the role and influence of the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution. Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning, 1, 7–24. & (
- 2004) Stabilization wedges: solving the climate problem for the next 50 years with current technologies. Science, 305, 968–972. & (
- 2003) A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature, 421, 37–42. & (
- 2003) The future for fisheries. Science, 302, 1359–1361. , , , , & (
- Pielke, R.A.Jr & Rayner, S., eds. (2004) Science, policy and politics: learning from the controversy over The Skeptical Environmentalist. Environmental Science & Policy, 5 .
- 2001) The World According to Pimm. A Scientist Audits the Earth. McGraw-Hill, New York. (
- 2006) Widespread amphibian extinctions from epidemic diseases driven by global warming. Nature, 439, 161–167. , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1995) The role of knowledge in the policy process. Journal of European Public Policy, 2, 159–183. (
- 2002) We know enough. Guardian, 2 September. (
- 2004) The novelty trap: why does institutional learning about new technologies seem so difficult? Industry and Higher Education, December , 349–355. (
- Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution (1984) Tackling Pollution – Experience and Prospects. Tenth Report. Cm 9149. HMSO, London.
- Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution (1989) The Release of Genetically Engineered Organisms to the Environment. Thirteenth Report. Cm 720. HMSO, London.
- Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution (2004) Turning the Tide: Addressing the Impact of Fisheries on the Marine Environment. Twenty-fifth Report. Cm 392. The Stationary Office, Norwich.
- Royal Society (2003) The farm scale evaluation of spring-sown genetically modified crops. Papers from a Theme Issue. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, 358, 1773–1913.
- Royal Society (2005) Ocean Acidification Due to Increasing Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide. Policy Document 12/05. The Royal Society, London.
- 2006) Sick seas. Nature, 442, 978–980. (
- 2000) Science and environmental policy: an excess of objectivity. Earth Matters: the Earth Sciences, Philosophy, and the Claims of Community (ed. Frodeman), pp. 79–98. Prentice Hall , Upper Saddle River, NJ. (
- 1987) Seventy-Five Years in Ecology: the British Ecological Society. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford. (
- 1992) Natural Environment Research Council. A History. NERC Publishing Services, Swindon. (
- 2003) Governance and the loss of biodiversity. Nature, 426, 67–70. , , , & (
- 2004) Global Change and the Earth System. Springer, Berlin. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2006) The identification of 100 ecological questions of high policy relevance in the UK. Journal of Applied Ecology, 43, 617–627. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- Sweden (1971) Air Pollution Across National Boundaries. The Impact on the Environment of Sulfur in Air and Precipitation. Swedish Royal Ministry for Foreign Affairs and the Royal Ministry of Agriculture. Kungl. Boktryckeriet, P.A. Norstedt & Söner 720277, Stockholm 1972.
- 2004) Extinction risk from climate change. Nature, 427, 145–148. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1991) Ecology and government policies. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 6, 144–145. & (
- 1975) Evaluation research in the political context. Handbook of Evaluation Research, vol. 1 (eds & ), pp. 13–15. Sage, London. (
- 1977) Research for policy's sake: the enlightenment function of social research. Policy Analysis, 3, 531–545. (