Ecological restoration and estuarine management: placing people in the coastal landscape
Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2007
© 2007 The Author
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 45, Issue 1, pages 296–304, February 2008
How to Cite
Weinstein, M. P. (2008), Ecological restoration and estuarine management: placing people in the coastal landscape. Journal of Applied Ecology, 45: 296–304. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2007.01355.x
- Issue online: 23 JUL 2007
- Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2007
- Received 20 May 2006; final copy received 9 May 2007 ; Handling Editor: Paul Giller
- 1994) Biological integrity versus biological diversity as policy directives. Bioscience, 44, 690–697. & (
- 2003) International ecosystem assessment. Science, 286, 685–689. & 24 co-authors (
- 1990) Discordant Harmonies: A New Ecology for the 21st Century. Oxford University Press, New York, NY. (
- 1998) Guest editorial. Creating institutions to ensure sustainable use of resources. Habitat International, 22, 347–354. (
- 2002) Institutions to sustain ecological and social systems. Ecological Management and Restoration, 3, 108–116. (
- 1995) Ecosocietal restoration: re-establishing humanity's relationship with natural systems. Environment, 37, 4–33. (
- 1975) Recovery and Restoration of Damaged Ecosystems. University Press of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA. , & (
- 1999) Current normative concepts in conservation. Conservation Biology, 13, 22–35. , & (
- Convention on Biological Diversity (2005) Handbook of the Convention on Biological Diversity, 2nd edn. Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Transcontinental Printing, Montreal, Canada.
- 1997) The multifaceted aspects of ecosystem integrity. Conservation Ecology, 1, 1–12. & (
- 2002) New natures and old science: hands-on practice and academic research in ecological restoration. Science Studies, 15, 17–35. (
- 1968) The tragedy of the commons. Science, 162, 1243–1248. (
- 2005) The two-culture problem: ecological restoration and the integration of knowledge. Restoration Ecology, 13, 159–164. (
- 2005) The myths of restoration ecology. Ecology and Society, 10, 19–29. , & (
- 2000) Theories for sustainable futures. Conservation Ecology, 4, 7–13. (
- 2001) Sustainability science. Science, 292, 641–642. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1993) Humans as Components of Ecosystems. The Ecology of Subtle Human Effects and Populated Areas. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY. & (
- 2003) New visions for addressing sustainability. Science, 302, 1919– , & (
- National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) (1999) Ecosystem-Based Fisheries Management. A Report to Congress by the Ecosystems Principles Advisory Panel. US Department of Commerce, Silver Spring, MD.
- National Ocean Conference (1998) Proceedings. Oceans of Commerce, Oceans of Life Naval Post Graduate School, Monterey, CA.
- National Research Council (NRC) (1992) Restoration of Aquatic Ecosystems: Science, Technology, and Public Policy. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- National Research Council (NRC) (2001b) A Process for Setting, Managing, and Monitoring Environmental Windows for Dredging Projects. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- National Research Council (NRC) (2001a) Marine Protected Areas: Tools for Sustaining Ocean Ecosystems. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- 2002) A transdisciplinary education program for regional sustainable development. International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences, 28, 167–191. (
- 2005) Epilogue: towards a transdisciplinary science of ecological and cultural landscape restoration. Restoration Ecology, 13, 228–234. (
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) (1990) Estuaries of the US, Vital Statistics on a National Resource Base. US Department of Commerce, NOAA, Washington, DC.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) (2000) US Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania Environmental Sensitivity Index Files. National Ocean Service, Office of Response and Restoration, Silver Spring, MD.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) (2002) Environmental Sensitivity Index Guidelines, Version 3. NOAA Technical Memorandum Nos OR and R11. Hazardous Materials Response Division, National Ocean Service, Seattle, WA.
- 1995) Environmental Accounting, Energy and Environmental Decision Making. John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken, NJ. (
- 2001) Threshold-based resource management: a framework for comprehensive ecosystem management. Ecological Applications, 27, 195–214. & (
- 2002) Reconciling ecosystem rehabilitation and service reliability mandate in large technical systems: findings and implications of three major US ecosystem management initiatives for managing human-dominated aquatic-terrestrial ecosystems. Ecosystems, 5, 509–528. & (
- 2002) Cryptic invasion by a non-native genotype of the common reed, Phragmites australis, into North America. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 99, 2445–2449. (
- 2005) Human dimensions. Science-Based Restoration Monitoring of Coastal Habitats (eds G.W.Thayer, T.A.McTigue, R.J.Salz, D.H.Merkey, F.M.Burrows & P.F.Gayaldo), pp. 1–67. Decision Analysis Series No. 23, Vol. 2. US Department of Commerce, Coastal Ocean Program, Silver Spring, MD. & (
- 1978) Estuarine graveyards, climate change, and the importance of the estuarine environment. Estuarine Interactions (ed. M.Wiley), pp. 285–304. Academic Press, New York, NY. & (
- 1996) The Scientific Characterization of the Delaware Estuary. DRBC Project No. 321. Delaware Estuary Program, West Trenton, NJ. , & (
- 2007) Rethinking the interface of ecology and society: the case of the cockle controversy in the Dutch Wadden Sea. Journal of Applied Ecology, 44, in press. & (
- 2001) Valuation of nature in conservation and restoration. Restoration Ecology, 9, 230–238. , & (
- US Commission on Ocean Policy (2004) Preliminary Report. US Commission on Ocean Policy, Washington, DC.
- US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) (2001) National Coastal Condition Report. EPA-620/R-01/005, ORD. Office of Water, Washington, DC.
- 2007) Ecological corridors, connecting science and politics? The case of the Green River in the Netherlands. Journal of Applied Ecology, 44, in press. & (
- 2006) Nature and landscape planning: exploring the dynamics of valuation, the case of the Netherlands. Landscape and Urban Planning, 79, 218–228. , & (
- 2005) Managing coastal growth in the 21st century: sustainability science and the paradox of the dual mandate. Urban Dimensions of Environmental Change: Science, Exposures, Policies and Technologies (ed. H.Feng), pp. 218–226. Chinese Science Press, Shanghai, People's Republic of China. (
- 1999) Does the common reed Phragmites australis reduce essential habitat for fishes? Estuaries, 22, 793–802. & (
- 2005) Sustainable coastal development: the dual mandate and a recommendation for ‘commerce managed areas’. Restoration Ecology, 13, 174–182. & (
- Managing coastal resources in the 21st century. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 5, 43–48. , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (2007)
- 2003) Phragmites australis: a sheep in wolf's clothing? Estuaries, 26, 397–630. , , & (
- 2005) Consideration of habitat linkages, estuarine landscapes and the trophic spectrum in wetland restoration design. Journal of Coastal Research, 40, 51–63. , & (
- 2001) Restoration principles emerging from one of the world's largest tidal marsh restoration projects. Wetlands Ecology and Management, 9, 387–407. , , & (
- 1992) The Diversity of Life. Belknap Press, Cambridge, MA. (