Does forest structure affect reproduction of northern goshawks in ponderosa pine forests?
Article first published online: 30 OCT 2007
© 2007 The Authors
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 45, Issue 1, pages 342–350, February 2008
How to Cite
Beier, P., Rogan, E. C., Ingraldi, M. F. and Rosenstock, S. S. (2008), Does forest structure affect reproduction of northern goshawks in ponderosa pine forests?. Journal of Applied Ecology, 45: 342–350. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2007.01409.x
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2007
- Article first published online: 30 OCT 2007
- Received 28 March 2007; accepted 16 August 2007; Handling Editor: Simon Thirgood
- Arizona Game and Fish Department (1993) Review of US Forest Service strategy for managing northern goshawk habitat in the southwestern United States. Unpublished report. Arizona Game and Fish Department, Phoenix, AZ.
- Arizona Game and Fish Department (undated) Wildlife of Special Concern in Arizona. Arizona Game and Fish Department, Phoenix, AZ.
- 1997) Forest structure and prey abundance in foraging areas of northern goshawks. Ecological Applications, 7, 564–571. & (
- 2002) Prey abundance, space use, demography, and foraging habitat of northern goshawks in western Washington. Masters thesis, University of Washington. (
- 1994) A photographic and behavioral guide to aging nestling northern goshawks. Studies in Avian Biology, 16, 97–102. (
- 1957) An ordination of the upland forest communities of southern Wisconsin. Ecological Monographs, 27, 325–349. & (
- 2002) Model Selection and Multimodel Inference: a Practical Information-Theoretic Approach, 2nd edn. Springer, New York. & (
- 1994) Southwestern ponderosa forest structure: changes since Euro-American settlement. Journal of Forestry, 92, 39–47. & (
- 1990) Goshawk reproduction and forest management. Wildlife Society Bulletin, 18, 262–269. (
- 1995) Northern goshawk reproduction and forest management. Journal of Raptor Research, 29, 42–43. (
- 1994) Population responses of northern goshawks to the 10-year cycle in numbers of snowshoe hares. Studies in Avian Biology, 16, 122–129. & (
- 2003) Forest structure and prey abundance in winter habitat of northern goshawks. Journal of Wildlife Management, 67, 177–185. & (
- 1981) Forest Cover Types of the United States and Canada. Society of American Foresters, Bethesda, MD. (
- 2005) Relationships between winter and spring weather and northern goshawk (Accipiter gentilis) reproduction in northern Nevada. Journal of Raptor Research, 39, 229–236. & (
- 2002) Effects of landscape and local habitat attributes on northern goshawk site occupancy in western Washington. Forest Science, 48, 427–436. , & (
- 1989) Dendroecology: a tool for evaluating variations in past and present forest environments. Advances in Ecological Research, 19, 111–188. & (
- 1997) Determining reference conditions for ecosystem management of southwestern ponderosa pine forests. Ecological Applications, 7, 895–908. , & (
- 2002) Testing ecological restoration alternatives: Grand Canyon, Arizona. Forest Ecology and Management, 170, 19–41. , , , , , & (
- 2005) A review of northern goshawk habitat selection in the home range and implications for forest management in the western United States. Wildlife Society Bulletin, 33, 120–129. , , , & (
- 2001) Size and composition of northern goshawk (Accipiter gentilis) home ranges in north-central Arizona. PhD thesis, Northern Arizona University. (
- 1999) Population biology of northern goshawks (Accipiter gentilis) in east-central Arizona. PhD thesis, Northern Arizona University. (
- 2002) Northern goshawk habitat on the Kaibab National Forest, Arizona: factors affecting nest locations and territory quality. PhD thesis, Colorado State University. (
- 1994) Northern goshawk broadcast surveys: hawk response variables and survey cost. Studies in Avian Biology, 16, 3–11. , & (
- 1999) Ecology of the northern goshawks in the Sierra Nevada, California. PhD thesis, University of California Davis. (
- 1997) The northern goshawk (Accipiter gentilis atricapillus): is there evidence of a population decline? Journal of Raptor Research, 31, 95–106. (
- 1993) Responsiveness of nesting northern goshawks to taped broadcasts of 3 conspecific calls. Journal of Wildlife Management, 57, 249–257. & (
- 1994) Post-fledging areas in northern goshawk home ranges. Studies in Avian Biology, 16, 57–82. , , & (
- 1990) The relationship of spring and summer weather with density and breeding performance of the buzzard (Buteo buteo), goshawk (Accipiter gentilis) and kestrel (Falco tinnunculus). Ibis, 132, 550–559. & (
- 2001) Habitat heterogeneity affects population growth in goshawk Accipiter gentilis. Journal of Animal Ecology, 70, 173–181. & (
- 1985) A practical approach to density management. Forest Chronicle, 61, 23–37. (
- 1989) Statistical Ecology. Wiley and Sons, New York. & (
- 1999) Restoration of pre-settlement age structure of an Arizona ponderosa pine forest. Ecological Applications, 9, 228–239. , , , & (
- 2002) Do some northern goshawk nest areas consistently fledge more young than others? Condor, 104, 343–352. , & (
- 1989) Stand density index and its application in describing wildlife habitat. Wildlife Society Bulletin, 17, 58–62. & (
- 1997) Nesting ecology and habitat of the northern goshawk in undisturbed and timber harvest areas on the Targhee National Forest, Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Masters thesis, Idaho State University. (
- 1997) Long-term study of a goshawk breeding population on a Mediterranean mountain (Abruzzi Apennines, central Italy): density, breeding performance, and diet. Journal of Raptor Research, 31, 308–312. (
- 2001) An approach to identify factors and levels of nesting habitat selection: across-scale analysis of goshawk preferences. Ornis Fennica, 78, 159–167. , & (
- 1992) Management Recommendations for the Northern Goshawk in the Southwestern United States. General Technical Report RM-217. US Forest Service Southwest Region, Alburquerque, New Mexico. , , , , , , , & (
- 2005) Patterns of temporal variation in goshawk reproduction and prey resources. Journal of Raptor Research, 39, 238–246. , & (
- 1987) Assessing raptor reproductive success and productivity. Raptor Management Techniques Manual (eds B.A.Pendleton, B.A.Milsap, K.W.Kline & D.M.Bird), pp. 157–170. National Wildlife Federation, Washington, DC. (
- 1979) Wildlife Habitats in Managed Forests: the Blue Mountains of Oregon and Washington. US Forest Service Agricultural Handbook 553. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC. (
- 2006) Ecology of the northern goshawk in Fennoscandia. Studies in Avian Biology, 31, 141–157. , & (
- US Fish and Wildlife Service (1995) Recovery Plan for the Mexican Spotted Owl. U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Alburquerque, New Mexico.
- US Fish and Wildlife Service (1998) Northern Goshawk Status Review. Office of Technical Support, Portland.
- US Forest Service (1993a) Forest Service Manual 2670. Interim Directive no. R3, 2670-2693-1. US Forest Service, Albuquerque.
- US Forest Service (1993b) Standard Specifications for Stand Exam, Rocky Mountain Region, Southwest Region, Intermountain Region. Government Printing Office, Alburquerque, New Mexico.
- US Forest Service (1995) Final Environmental Impact. Statement for Amendment of Forest Plans. US Forest Service Southwestern Region, Albuquerque.
- US Forest Service (1996) Record of Decision for Amendment of Forest Plans. Southwestern Region, Albuquerque.
- 2003) Diversity in ponderosa pine forest structure following ecological restoration treatments. Forest Science, 49, 885–900. , , & (
- 1992) Canopy Density at Goshawk Nesting Territories on the North Kaibab Ranger District, Kaibab National Forest. Arizona Game and Fish Department Non-game and Endangered Wildlife Program, Phoenix, Arizona. , & (
- 2005) Is fledging success a reliable index of fitness in northern goshawks? Journal of Raptor Research, 39, 210–221. & (
- 1994) Territory occupancy and habitat patch size of northern goshawks in the southern Cascades of California. Studies in Avian Biology, 16, 83–87. & (