Conversations in conservation: revealing and dealing with language differences in environmental conflicts
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 British Ecological Society
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 45, Issue 4, pages 1198–1204, August 2008
How to Cite
Webb, T. J. and Raffaelli, D. (2008), Conversations in conservation: revealing and dealing with language differences in environmental conflicts. Journal of Applied Ecology, 45: 1198–1204. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2008.01495.x
- Issue published online: 9 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received 29 November 2007; accepted 12 April 2008Handling Editor: Simon Thirgood
- 2005) Non-lethal control of wildlife: using chemical repellents as feeding deterrents for the European badger Meles meles. Journal of Applied Ecology, 42, 921–931. , , & (
- Bengston, D.N. (ed.) (2000) Applications of Computer-aided Text Analysis in Natural Resources, General Technical Report NC-211. US Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station, St Paul, MN.
- 1999) Conflict over natural resource management: a social indicator based on analysis of online news media text. Society & Natural Resources, 12, 493–500. & (
- 2001) Attitudes toward ecosystem management in the United States, 1992–1998. Society & Natural Resources, 14, 471–487. , & (
- 2006) Valuing the diversity of biodiversity. Ecological Economics, 58, 304–317. , , , , & (
- 2001) Historical foundations of computer-assisted Content Analysis. Theory, Method and Practice in Computer Content Analysis (ed. M.D.West), pp. 13–41. Ablex Publishing, Westport, CT. (
- DTI (2003) GM Nation? The Findings of the Public Debate. London: Department of Trade and Industry. DTI/Pub 6914/0.5k/09/03/NP.
- 1991) Conservation and the rights of animals. Conservation Biology, 5, 1–3. (
- 2007) Using a stochastic model to examine the ecological, economic and ethical consequences of population control in a charismatic invasive species: mute swans in North America. Journal of Applied Ecology, 44, 312–322. & (
- 1998) A framework for understanding social science contributions to ecosystem management. Ecological Applications, 8, 891–904. , , & (
- 1993) Framing: toward clarification of a fractured paradigm. Journal of Communication, 43, 51–58. (
- 2000) Application of conservation biology research to management. Conservation Biology, 14, 1898–1902. , & (
- 2004) Ecology and government policies: the GM crop debate. Journal of Applied Ecology, 41, 1–10. (
- 1999) Analyzing Documentary Accounts. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA. (
- 1969) Content Analysis for the Social Sciences and Humanities. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA. (
- 2006) Biodiversity definitions vary within the discipline. Nature, 444, 146. (
- 2000) The importance of the introduced hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus) as a predator of the eggs of waders (Charadrii) on machair in South Uist, Scotland. Biological Conservation, 93, 333–348. & (
- 2001) Experimental removal of introduced hedgehogs improves wader nest success in the Western Isles, Scotland. Journal of Applied Ecology, 38, 802–812. (
- 2003) Advocacy and credibility of ecological scientists in resource decision-making: a regional study. BioScience, 53, 170–178. , , & (
- 2005) The war of the roses: demilitarizing invasion biology. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 9, 495–500. (
- 2007) Accommodating dissent. Nature, 450, 483. (
- 2001) Frame mapping: a quantitative method for investigating issues in the public sphere. Theory, Method and Practice in Computer Content Analysis (ed. M.D.West), pp. 61–75. Ablex Publishing, Westport, CT. & (
- 2001) Roles of research scientists in natural resource decision-making. Forest Ecology and Management, 153, 189–198. & (
- 2005a) Why we need an ‘ecological ethics’. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 3, 332–337. & (
- 2005b) Ecological ethics: building a new tool kit for ecologists and biodiversity managers. Conservation Biology, 19, 1803–1812. & (
- 2002) The uptake of applied ecology. Journal of Applied Ecology, 39, 1–7. , , & (
- 2008) Improving interactions between animal rights groups and conservation biologists. Conservation Biology, 22, 27–35. & (
- 2002) Cultural conflict and the endangered Florida Key deer. Journal of Wildlife Management, 66, 921–742. , , , & (
- R Development Core Team (2006) r: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. http://www.r-project.org . r Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2004) Using decision modeling with stakeholders to reduce human-wildlife conflict: a raptor–grouse case study. Conservation Biology, 18, 350–359. , , , , , & (
- 2008) Rethinking the interface between ecology and society. The case of the cockle controversy in the Dutch Wadden Sea. Journal of Applied Ecology, 45, 82–90. & (
- 1995) Learning from animal activists: a workshop approach. Wildlife Society Bulletin, 23, 588–593. & (
- Uist Wader Project (2002) Three Potential Methods of Reducing the Non-native Uist Hedgehog Population to Conserve Breeding Waders: Animal Welfare and Conservation Considerations. Uist Wader Project report. Available at http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/news/nw-uwpcr01.pdf.
- 2000) Public values, opinions, and emotions in restoration controversies. Restoring Nature: Perspectives from the Social Sciences and Humanities (eds P.H.Gobster & R.B.Hull), pp. 143–161. Island Press, Washington, D.C. , & (
- 2006) atat Version 1·1 – A Text Analysis Tool. Software and documentation. Privately distributed, York, UK. (
- 1990) Basic Content Analysis. Sage, Newbury Park, CA. (
- West, M.D. (ed.) (2001a) Theory, Method and Practice in Computer Content Analysis. Ablex Publishing, Westport, CT.
- West, M.D. (ed.) (2001b) Applications of Computer Content Analysis. Ablex Publishing, Westport, CT.