Setting sustainable grazing levels for heather moorland: a multi-site analysis
Article first published online: 8 JAN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 British Ecological Society
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 46, Issue 2, pages 363–368, April 2009
How to Cite
Pakeman, R. J. and Nolan, A. J. (2009), Setting sustainable grazing levels for heather moorland: a multi-site analysis. Journal of Applied Ecology, 46: 363–368. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2008.01603.x
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 8 JAN 2009
- Received 7 July 2008; accepted 24 November 2008Handling Editor: Jan Leps
- ADAS (1998) Monitoring the Maintenance and Enhancement of Heather Moorland. MAFF Publications, London.
- 1992) Tests of different methods for measuring and estimating utilization rate of heather (Calluna vulgaris) by vertebrate herbivores. Journal of Applied Ecology, 29, 285–294. & (
- 1997a) A model of the grazing of hill vegetation by sheep in the UK. II. The prediction of offtake by sheep. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 186–207. , , , , & (
- 1997b) A model of the grazing of hill vegetation by sheep in the UK. I. The prediction of vegetation biomass. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 166–185. , , , , & (
- 1995) The extent and condition of heather moorland in the uplands of England and Wales. Biological Conservation, 71, 155–161. , & (
- 1979) Recovery of four montane heath communities on Cairngorm Scotland, from disturbance by trampling. Biological Conservation, 15, 165–179. (
- 2007) Assessing impacts of large herbivores on shrubs: tests of scaling factors for utilization rates from shoot-level measurements. Journal of Applied Ecology, 44, 168–175. , & (
- 1998) The effects of air-borne nitrogen pollutants on species diversity in natural and semi-natural European vegetation. Journal of Ecology, 86, 717–738. , & (
- DARD (2007) Agri-environmental Schemes. http://www.dardni.gov.uk/index/grants-and-funding/agri-environmental-schemes.htm, accessed 24 January 2008.
- Defra (2005) Environmental Stewardship, Higher Level Stewardship Handbook. http://www.defra.gov.uk/erdp/pdfs/es/hls-handbook.pdf, accessed 24 January 2008.
- 1989) The different types and importance of British heaths. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society, 101, 291–299. (
- 1978) Effects of season and level of grazing on the utilization of heather by sheep. I. Responses of the sward. Journal of the British Grassland Society, 33, 289–300. , , & (
- 1981) The response of heather-dominated vegetation in north-east Scotland to grazing by red deer. Journal of Ecology, 69, 189–204. , & (
- 1982) Effects of season and level of grazing on the utilization of heather by sheep. 3. Longer-term responses and sward recovery. Grass and Forage Science, 37, 311–320. , , & (
- 2004) The National Critical Loads Mapping Programme Phase IV. Final Report (July 2001–June 2004). Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Huntingdon, UK. , , , & (
- 2008) Economic determinants of biodiversity change over a 400-year period in the Scottish uplands. Journal of Applied Ecology, 45, 1557–1565. , , , , , & (
- 2005) Manipulation of nutrients and grazing levels on heather moorland: changes in Calluna dominance and consequences for community composition. Journal of Ecology, 93, 990–1004. & (
- 1998) Spatial and temporal patterns of heather use by sheep and red deer within natural heather/grass mosaics. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 772–784. & (
- 1987) Vegetation, fire and herbivore interactions in heathland. Advances in Ecological Research, 16, 87–173. & (
- 2002) Rehabilitation of degraded Calluna vulgaris (L.) Hull – dominated wet heath by controlled sheep grazing. Biological Conservation, 107, 351–363. , , , , & (
- JNCC (2007) 2nd UK Report on Implementation of the Habitats Directive, Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough. http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-4060, accessed 24 January 2008.
- 2005) Moorland Vegetation Monitoring in the Dartmoor ESA 1994–2003. ADAS Report to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London. , , , & (
- Lawes Agricultural Trust (2007) GenStat, 9th edn, version 9·2·0·152. Lawes Agricultural Trust, Rothamsted, UK.
- 1998). A Guide to Upland Habitats: Surveying Land Management Impacts. Scottish Natural Heritage, Edinburgh. , , , & (
- 1998) Land Cover Change: Scotland from the 1940s to the 1980s. Scottish Natural Heritage: The Natural Heritage of Scotland Series. The Stationary Office, Edinburgh, UK. , & (
- 1978) Vegetation and management in the uplands. Upland Land Use in England and Wales (ed. O.W.Heal), pp. 77–95. Countryside Commission, Cheltenham, UK. , & (
- 2006) The concept of overgrazing and its role in management of large herbivores. Wildlife Biology, 12, 129–141. (
- 2002). Rapid Assessment of Grazing and Trampling Impacts on Upland Habitats for the West Grampian Deer Management Group Area. The Macaulay Institute, Aberdeen, UK. , , & (
- 1997) The seedbanks of the Breckland heaths and heath grasslands, and their relationship to the vegetation and the effects of management. Journal of Biogeography, 24, 375–390. & (
- 2003) Rehabilitation of degraded dry heather (Calluna vulgaris (L.) Hull) moorland by controlled sheep grazing. Biological Conservation, 114, 389–400. , , & (
- 2000) Predicting spatial variation in heather utilization by sheep and red deer within heather/grass mosaics. Journal of Applied Ecology, 37, 616–631. & (
- 2004) Introducing spatial grazing impacts into the prediction of moorland vegetation dynamics. Landscape Ecology, 19, 817–827. , , & (
- 2002) HeathMod: a model of the impact of seasonal grazing by sheep on upland heaths dominated by Calluna vulgaris (heather). Biological Conservation, 105, 279–292. , & (
- 1994) Ungulate herbivory of willows on Yellowstone northern winter range. Journal of Range Management, 47, 435–443. , & (
- The Scottish Government (2007) Rural Stewardship. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Agriculture/Environment/Agrienvironment/RuralSteward/RSSintro, accessed 24 January 2008.
- 1995) Upland heather moorland in Great Britain: a review of international importance, vegetation change and some objectives for nature conservation. Biological Conservation, 71, 163–178. , , & (
- UKBAP (2007) UK BAP Priority Habitat Action Plans. http://www.ukbap.org.uk/UKPlans.aspx?ID=16, accessed 24 January 2008.
- 1984) Studies in the grazing of heather moorland in north-east Scotland. I. Site descriptions and patterns of utilization. Journal of Applied Ecology, 21, 179–195. (
- 1995) Studies in the grazing of heather moorland in north-east Scotland. VI. 20-year trends in botanical composition. Journal of Applied Ecology, 32, 596–611. & (
- Welsh Assembly Government (2007) Tir Gofal. http://new.wales.gov.uk/topics/environmentcountryside/farmingandcountryside/farming/agri_env_schemes/tirgofal/?lang=en, accessed 24 January 2008.