100 years of change: examining agricultural trends, habitat change and stakeholder perceptions through the 20th century
Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 British Ecological Society
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 46, Issue 2, pages 334–343, April 2009
How to Cite
Dallimer, M., Tinch, D., Acs, S., Hanley, N., Southall, H. R., Gaston, K. J. and Armsworth, P. R. (2009), 100 years of change: examining agricultural trends, habitat change and stakeholder perceptions through the 20th century. Journal of Applied Ecology, 46: 334–343. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2009.01619.x
- Issue online: 3 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2009
- Received 30 June 2008; accepted 7 January 2009Handling Editor: Simon Thirgood
- 1983) The Semi-Natural Vegetation of The Peak District National Park. Peak Park Joint Planning Board, Bakewell, Derbyshire, UK. (
- 2007) The EU's Common Agricultural Policy at 50: an international perspective. Policy Insight Paper 13. Centre for Economic Policy Research, London. & (
- 1981) Increased sheep numbers and the loss of heather moorland in the Peak District, England. Biological Conservation, 20, 195–213. & (
- 1997) Peak District Moorland Management Project Phase III Report. Peak District National Park Authority, Bakewell, Derbyshire, UK. , & (
- 2004) Ecological change on the North York Moors during the last millennium and their impact on the landscape. Society, Landscape and Environment in Upland Britain Supplementary Series, 2, 1–9. (
- 1993) Countryside Survey 1990: Main Report, vol. 2. Department of the Environment, London. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2003) Farmland biodiversity: is habitat heterogeneity the key? Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 18, 182–189. , & (
- 2001) Impacts of climate, management and nitrogen deposition on the dynamics of lowland heathland. Journal of Vegetation Science, 12, 797–806. , , & (
- 2007) The western Australian regional forest agreement: economic rationalism and the normalisation of political closure. The Australian Journal of Public Administration, 66, 148–158. (
- 1999) The effect of increased deposition of atmospheric nitrogen on Calluna vulgaris in upland Britain. New Phytologist, 141, 423–431. , , , & (
- 2007) Recent vegetation history of Drygarn Fawr (Elenydd SSSI), Cambrian Mountains, Wales: implications for conservation management of degraded blanket mires. Biodiversity and Conservation, 16, 2821–2846. , , , & (
- Defra. (2008) The June Agricultural Survey. Available at: http://www.defra.gov.uk/esg/work_htm/publications/cs/farmstats_web/default.htm, last accessed 8 June 2008.
- 2006) Further evidence of continent-wide impacts of agricultural intensification on European farmland birds, 1990–2000. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 116, 189–196. , , & (
- 2002) Critical realism, empirical methods and inference: a critical discussion. Cambridge Journal of Economics, 26, 481–500. , & (
- English Nature. (2001) The Upland Management Handbook. English Nature, Peterborough, UK.
- 2004) A chronology of nitrogen deposition in the UK between 1900 and 2000. Water, Air and Soil Pollution: Focus, 4, 9–23. , , , , , , & (
- 2008) Emerging issues in biodiversity & onservation management: the need for a palaeoecological perspective Quaternary Science Review, 27, 1723–1732 & (
- 1986) The changing conservation interest of lowland grassland in England and Wales: a review of grassland surveys 1930–1934. Biological Conservation, 40, 281–300. (
- 1967) The Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative Research. Aldine de Gruyter, New York. & (
- 2003) Changing landscapes, habitats and vegetation diversity across Great Britain. Journal of Environmental Management, 67, 267–281. , , , , , , , & (
- 2000) Accounting for Nature: Assessing Habitats in the UK Countryside. Department of Environment, Transport and the Regions, London. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1998) Paying for public goods from agriculture: an application of the Provider Gets Principle to moorland conservation in Shetland. Land Economics, 74, 102–113. , , & (
- 2008) Economics determinants of biodiversity change over a 400-year period in the Scottish uplands. Journal of Applied Ecology, 45, 1557–1565. , , , , , & (
- 2002) Survey of Moorland Regeneration Plots in the North Peak ESA, 1998–2000. Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs RDS, Wolverhampton, UK. (
- 2003) How effective are European agri-environment schemes in conserving and promoting biodiversity? Journal of Applied Ecology, 40, 947–969. & (
- 2006). Mixed biodiversity benefits of agri-environment schemes in five European countries. Ecology Letters, 9, 243–254. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1998) Unintentional experiments with terrestrial ecosystems: ecological effects of sulphur and nitrogen pollutants. Journal of Ecology, 86, 1–12. (
- 1999) Differential responses of UK upland plants to nitrogen deposition. New Phytologist, 141, 277–289. , , & (
- MAFF. (1961) Agricultural Land Classification. Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, London.
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. (2005) Ecosystems and Human Well-being: Biodiversity Synthesis. World Resources Institute, Washington, DC.
- 1913) The Vegetation of the Peak District. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. (
- Natural England. (2008) The State of the Natural Environment Report: Resource Document: Heathland Habitats. http:naturalengland.org.uk/sone/resourcedocs.htm. Accessed June 2008.
- NEGTAP. (2001) Transboundary Air Pollution: Acidification, Eutrophication and Ground-Level Ozone in the UK. Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London.
- Ordnance Survey. (1952) Vegetation: Grasslands of England & Wales: Sheet 2 England and Wales – south of Kendal. Director General of the Ordnance Survey Office, Chessington, Surrey, UK.
- PDNPA. (2001) Heather Moorland Action Plan. Peak District National Park Authority, Bakewell, Derbyshire, UK.
- PDNPA. (2007) A Living Landscape – Growing Together: Peak District Biodiversity Action Plan Mid-Term Review 2001–2007. Peak District National Park Authority, Bakewell, UK.
- 2002) Post-war changes in arable farming and biodiversity in Great Britain. Journal of Applied Ecology, 39, 157–176. & (
- 1996) Changes on the heathlands in Dorset, England between 1987 and 1996. Biological Conservation, 93, 117–125. , , & (
- 1991) Socioeconomic Monitoring of the North Peak and Suffolk River Valleys Environmentally Sensitive Areas Scheme. Report to the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food. University of Manchester, Manchester, UK. & (
- 2007) Changes of traditional agrarian landscapes and their conservation implications: a case study of butterflies in Romania. Diversity and Distributions, 13, 855–862. & (
- 1998) Application of a grazing model to predict heather moorland utilisation and implications for nature conservation. Journal of Environmental Management, 54, 215–231. , , , , & (
- 1983) The Upland Landscapes Study. Environment Information Services, Dyfed, UK. (
- 2005) Restoration of degraded Molinia caerulea dominated moorland in the Peak District National Park Eastern moorlands, Derbyshire, England. Conservation Evidence, 2, 101–102. & (
- 2004) Southeast Asian biodiversity: an impending disaster. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 19, 654–660. , , & (
- 1947) The Land Utilisation Survey of Britain. Nature, 129, 709–711. (
- 2007) Rural land-use in England and Wales between 1930 and 1998: mapping trajectories of change with a high resolution spatio-temporal dataset. Landscape and Urban Planning, 81, 91–103. (
- 2009) Historical perspectives on the development of multi-functional landscapes: a case study from the UK uplands. Multi-functional Rural Land Management: Economics and Policies (eds F.Brouwer & M.Van Der Heide), Earthscan, London. , , , , , & (
- 2006) The extent and intensity of management burning in the English uplands. Journal of Applied Ecology, 43, 1138–1148. , , , , , & (