Valuing nature-conservation interests on agricultural floodplains
Article first published online: 3 MAR 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 British Ecological Society
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 46, Issue 2, pages 289–296, April 2009
How to Cite
Rouquette, J. R., Posthumus, H., Gowing, D. J. G., Tucker, G., Dawson, Q. L., Hess, T. M. and Morris, J. (2009), Valuing nature-conservation interests on agricultural floodplains. Journal of Applied Ecology, 46: 289–296. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2009.01627.x
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 3 MAR 2009
- Received 30 June 2008; accepted 14 January 2009Handling Editor: Simon Thirgood
- 1991) A conceptual framework for evaluating and quantifying naturalness. Conservation Biology, 5, 347–352. (
- 1989) Multicriteria techniques in ecological evaluation – an example using the analytical hierarchy process. Biological Conservation, 49, 215–229. , & (
- 2006) The empirics of wetland valuation: a comprehensive summary and a meta-analysis of the literature. Environmental & Resource Economics, 33, 223–250. , & (
- 2007) The nature and value of ecosystem services: an overview highlighting hydrologic services. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 32, 67–98. , , & (
- 1999) A meta-analysis of wetland contingent valuation studies. Regional Environmental Change, 1, 47–57. , , & (
- 2006) Function-analysis and valuation as a tool to assess land use conflicts in planning for sustainable, multi-functional landscapes. Landscape and Urban Planning, 75, 175–186. (
- 2002) A typology for the classification, description and valuation of ecosystem functions, goods and services. Ecological Economics, 41, 393–408. , & (
- Defra (2004) Making Space for Water: Developing a New Government Strategy for Flood and Coastal Risk Management in England. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London.
- Defra (2005a) Entry Level Stewardship Handbook. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London.
- Defra (2005b) Higher Level Stewardship Handbook. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London.
- Defra (2006) June 2006 Agricultural and Horticultural Survey Statistics, England. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, National Statistics. http://statistics.defra.gov.uk/esg. Accessed 27 June 2008.
- Defra (2007) Making Space for Water: Outcome Measures. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. http://www.defra.gov.uk/environ/fcd/policy/strategy/sd4/. Accessed 27 June 2008.
- Defra (2008) Written Ministerial Statement by Hilary Benn on budget allocations and outcome targets for flood and coastal erosion risk management in England. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/ministers/statements/hb080204a.htm. Accessed 27 June 2008.
- Eftec & Entec (2002) Valuing the External Benefits of Undeveloped Land. Economics for the Environment Consultancy Ltd./Entec (Environmental and Engineering Consultancy) UK Ltd. Report for Department for Communities and Local Government, London.
- 2002) Economic and ecological concepts for valuing ecosystem services. Ecological Economics, 41, 375–392. , & (
- 2001). Estimating the Value of Environmental Features: Stage Two. Final Report to MAFF. University of Edinburgh and Scottish Agricultural College. , , & (
- IEEM (2006) Guidelines for Ecological Impact Assessment in the United Kingdom (version 7 July 2006). Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management. http://www.ieem.org.uk/ecia/. Accessed 27 June 2008.
- JNCC (2007) Biodiversity Indicators in Your Pocket: Plant Diversity in the Wider Countryside. Joint Nature Conservancy Committee. http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-4237. Accessed 27 June 2008.
- 1981) Criteria used in assessing wildlife conservation potential – a review. Biological Conservation, 21, 79–109. & (
- 2007) Optimizing allocation of management resources for wildlife. Conservation Biology, 21, 387–399. , , , , , , & (
- 2002) Simple connectivity measures in spatial ecology. Ecology, 83, 1131–1145. & (
- 1992) Agricultural land drainage, land use change and economic performance: experience in the UK. Land Use Policy, 9, 185–198. (
- 1986) Farmer uptake of agricultural land drainage benefits. Environment and Planning A, 18, 1649–1664. & (
- 2008) The economic dimensions of integrating flood management and agri-environment through washland creation: a case from Somerset, England. Journal of Environmental Management, 88, 372–381. , , , , & (
- 2004) Combined ecological and economic modelling in agricultural land use scenarios. Ecological Modelling, 174, 5–18. , & (
- Natural England (2008) State of the Natural Environment 2008. Natural England, Peterborough, UK.
- NCC (1989) Guidelines for the Selection of Biological SSSIs. Nature Conservancy Council, Peterborough, UK.
- 2000) Modelling the transfer of the socio-economic benefits of environmental management. Environmental Modelling & Software, 15, 343–356. , , & (
- 2005) Environmental Landscape Features (ELF) Model Update. Report to Department for the Environment. Food and Rural Affairs, London. (
- 2007) Multiple-criteria decision analysis for integrated catchment management. Ecological Economics, 63, 627–632. & (
- 2000) An assessment of the total external costs of UK agriculture, Agricultural Systems, 65, 113–136. , , , , , , , & (
- Ratcliffe, D.A. ed. (1977) A Nature Conservation Review. Vol. 1. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2007) The naturalness versus wildness debate: ambiguity, inconsistency, and unattainable objectivity. Restoration Ecology, 15, 8–12. (
- Rodwell, J.S., ed. (19912000) British Plant Communities. Vols 1–5. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2004) Assessing alternative futures for agriculture in Iowa, USA. Landscape Ecology, 19, 357–374. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1981) Estimating the value of wildlife for preservation – a comparison of approaches. Journal of Environmental Management, 12, 111–125. & (
- 1999) Ecological Impact Assessment. Blackwell Science, Oxford, UK. (
- 2005). Biodiversity evaluation methods. In Handbook of Biodiversity Methods (eds D.Hill, M.Fasham, G.Tucker, M.Shewry & P.Shaw), pp. 65–101. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. (
- 2000) Ecological–economic analysis of wetlands: scientific integration for management and policy. Ecological Economics, 35, 7–23. , , , , , & (
- UK BAP (2004) Collated Regional Targets. UK Biodiversity Action Plan. http://www.ukbap.org.uk/library/brig/trgtargets/CollatedRegionalTargetsOct04.xls. Accessed 27 June 2008.
- UK BAP (2006) Targets Review. UK Biodiversity Action Plan. http://www.ukbap.org.uk/bapgrouppage.aspx?id=98. Accessed 27 June 2008.
- 2001) Long-term land use changes in a mesoscale watershed due to socio-economic factors – effects on landscape structures and functions. Ecological Modelling, 140, 125–140. , & (
- 2001) The economic value of wetland services: a meta-analysis. Ecological Economics, 37, 257–270. & (
- WRI (2005) World Resources 2005: The Wealth of the Poor – Managing Ecosystems to Fight Poverty. In collaboration with United Nations Development Programme, United Nations Environment Programme and World Bank. World Resources Institute, Washington D.C.
- 2007) Ecosystem services and dis-services to agriculture. Ecological Economics, 64, 253–260. , , , & (