Can offsets really compensate for habitat removal? The case of the endangered red-tailed black-cockatoo
Version of Record online: 8 MAR 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 British Ecological Society
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 47, Issue 2, pages 348–355, April 2010
How to Cite
Maron, M., Dunn, P. K., McAlpine, C. A. and Apan, A. (2010), Can offsets really compensate for habitat removal? The case of the endangered red-tailed black-cockatoo. Journal of Applied Ecology, 47: 348–355. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2010.01787.x
- Issue online: 8 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 8 MAR 2010
- Received 28 September 2009; accepted 15 January 2010 Handling Editor: Des Thompson
- 2009) Declining birds in Australian agricultural landscapes may benefit from aspects of the European agri-environment model. Biological Conservation, 142, 1981–1991. , , , , , & (
- 1999) The effect of wetland mitigation banking on the achievement of no-net-loss. Environmental Management, 23, 333–345. & (
- 2008) BioBanking: an environmental scientist’s view on the role of biodiversity banking offsets in conservation. Biodiversity and Conservation, 17, 807–816. (
- Commonwealth of Australia (2007) National Recovery Plan for the South-Eastern Red-Tailed Black-Cockatoo Calyptorhynchus banksii graptogyne. Department of the Environment and Water Resources, Canberra.
- 2009) International Approaches to Compensation for Impacts on Biological Diversity. Final Report. Dresden & Berlin, Germany. , , , , & (
- Department of Natural Resources and Environment (2002) Victoria’s Native Vegetation Management: A Framework for Action. Department of Natural Resources and Environment, Melbourne.
- Department of Sustainability and Environment (2004) Climate Change in the Wimmera. Department of Sustainability and Environment, Melbourne.
- Department of Sustainability and Environment (2006) Native Vegetation Scoring Gain from an Offset: DSE Gain Calculator User Instructions. Victorian Government, Department of Sustainability and Environment, East Melbourne.
- 2009) Reversing a tree regeneration crisis in an endangered ecoregion. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 106, 10386–10391. , , , , & (
- 2001) Why have birds in the woodlands of southern Australia declined? Biological Conservation, 97, 71–88. , , & (
- 2007) Offsets for land clearing: no net loss or the tail wagging the dog? Ecological Management and Restoration, 8, 26–31. & (
- 2008) The future of scattered trees in agricultural landscapes. Conservation Biology, 22, 1309–1319. , , , , , , & (
- 2009) An operational methods to assess impacts of land clearing on terrestrial biodiversity. Ecological Indicators, 9, 26–40. , , , , , , , & (
- 1998) Changes in bird populations on sample lowland English farms in relation to loss of hedgerows and other non-crop habitats. Oecologia, 116, 120–127. & (
- 2005) Effects of exurban development on biodiversity: patterns, mechanisms, and research needs. Ecological Applications, 15, 1893–1905. , , , , , & (
- 2004) Biodiversity Offsets: Views, Experience, and the Business Case. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland and Cambridge, UK and Insight Investment, London, UK. , & (
- 1999) The second silent spring? Nature, 400, 611–612. , , & (
- 2006) Scattered trees are keystone structures – implications for conservation. Biological Conservation, 132, 311–321. , & (
- 2000) Characteristics of feeding sites of the endangered south-eastern Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo Calyptorhynchus banksii graptogyne in remnant Buloke Allocasuarina luehmannii woodland. Honours Thesis, Monash University, Melbourne. (
- 2005) Agricultural change and paddock tree loss: implications for an endangered subspecies of red-tailed black-cockatoo. Ecological Management and Restoration, 6, 206–211. (
- 2007) Agricultural intensification and loss of matrix habitat over 23 years in the West Wimmera, South-eastern Australia. Biological Conservation, 135, 587–593. & (
- 2004) Discrimination among potential buloke (Allocasuarina luehmannii) feeding trees by the endangered south-eastern red-tailed black-cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus banksii graptogyne). Wildlife Research, 31, 311–317. & (
- 2006) Compliance with Canada’s Fisheries Act: a field audit of habitat compensation projects. Environmental Management, 37, 336–350. & (
- R Development Core Team. (2008) R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2002) Paying to protect watershed services: wetland banking in the USA selling forest environmental services. Market-Based Mechanisms for Conservation and Development (eds S.Pagiola, J.Bishop & N.Landell-Mills), pp. 1–14. Earthscan, London. & (
- 1989) Changes in the avifauna of a region, district and remnant as a result of fragmentation of native vegetation: the wheatbelt of Western Australia. A case study. Biological Conservation, 50, 90–135. (
- 1997) Estimating the cumulative effects of development on wildlife habitat. Landscape and Urban Planning, 39, 25–36. , & (
- 1994) Habitat destruction and the extinction debt. Nature, 371, 65–66. , , & (
- 2006) The clock is ticking – revegetation and habitat for birds and arboreal mammals in rural landscapes of southern Australia. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 112, 356–366. & (
- 2008) Time lags in provision of habitat resources through revegetation. Biological Conservation, 141, 174–186. , , , & (