Present Address: Environment and Sustainability Institute, University of Exeter, Penryn, Cornwall, TR10 9EZ, UK
Mapping an urban ecosystem service: quantifying above-ground carbon storage at a city-wide scale
Article first published online: 11 JUL 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Applied Ecology © 2011 British Ecological Society
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 48, Issue 5, pages 1125–1134, October 2011
How to Cite
Davies, Z. G., Edmondson, J. L., Heinemeyer, A., Leake, J. R. and Gaston, K. J. (2011), Mapping an urban ecosystem service: quantifying above-ground carbon storage at a city-wide scale. Journal of Applied Ecology, 48: 1125–1134. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2011.02021.x
- Issue published online: 14 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 11 JUL 2011
- Received 1 November 2010; accepted 15 May 2011 Handling Editor: Richard Wadsworth
- 2000) Changing patterns in the urbanized countryside of Western Europe. Landscape Ecology, 15, 257–270. (
- 1999) Ecosystem services in urban areas. Ecological Economics, 29, 293–301. & (
- 2008) Trees in Towns II: A New Survey of Urban Trees in England and their Condition and Management. Department for Communities and Local Government, London. & (
- 2006) Thermal benefits of city parks. Energy and Buildings, 38, 105–120. & (
- 1998) Tropical Forest Census Plots. Springer-Verlag, Berlin and R.G. Landes Company, Georgetown. (
- Temporal changes in greenspace in a highly urbanized region. Biology Letters, doi:10.1098/rsbl.2011.0025. , , , , & (in press)
- DCLG (2006) Code for Sustainable Homes: A Step-Change in Sustainable Home Building Practice. Department for Communities and Local Government, London.
- 2009) Annual inventory estimates for the UK (WP 1.1). Inventory and Projections of UK Emissions by Sources and Removals by Sinks due to Land Use, Land Use Change and Forestry (ed K.E. Dyson), pp. 13–49. Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London. , & (
- 2001) A habitat island approach to conserving birds in urban landscapes: case studies from southern and northern Europe. Biodiversity and Conservation, 10, 2023–2043. & (
- 1995) Environmental Ecology: the Ecological Effects of Pollution Disturbance and Other Stresses, 2nd edn. Academic Press, San Diego. (
- 2007) Psychological benefits of green space increase with biodiversity. Biology Letters, 3, 390–394. , , , & (
- 2010) Urban Ecology. Urban Ecology (ed K.J. Gaston), pp. 1–9. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. (
- 2004) Species-specific patterns of bat activity in an urban landscape. Ecological Applications, 14, 625–635. & (
- 2008) Characterising the urban environment of UK cities and towns: a template for landscape planning. Landscape and Urban Planning, 87, 210–222. , , , , & (
- 2006) Urbanization increases grassland carbon pools: effects of landscaping in Colorado’s front range. Ecological Applications, 16, 555–571. (
- 2006) Green Infrastructure. Report to the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution, London. (
- Great Britain (2008) Climate Change Act 2008: Elizabeth II. Chapter 27. The Stationery Office, London.
- 2003) Urbanization effects on tree growth in the vicinity of New York City. Nature, 424, 183–187. , & (
- 2008) Global change and the ecology of cities. Science, 319, 756–760. , , , , , & (
- 2005) Effects of exurban development on biodiversity: patterns, mechanisms and research needs. Ecological Applications, 15, 1893–1905. , , , , , & (
- 2002) Climate Change Scenarios for the United Kingdom: the UKCIP02 Scientific Report. Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, Norwich. , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2008) Assessing the ecosystem service of air pollutant removal by urban trees in Guangzhou (China). Journal of Environmental Management, 88, 665–676. & (
- 2002) Impacts of urban greenspace on offsetting carbon emissions for middle Korea. Journal of Environmental Management, 64, 115–126. (
- 1995) Carbon storage and flux in urban residential greenspace. Journal of Environmental Management, 45, 109–133. & (
- 2001) Indirect carbon reduction by residential vegetation and planting strategies in Chicago, USA. Journal of Environmental Management, 61, 165–177. & (
- 2005) The effects of human socioeconomic status and cultural characteristics on urban patterns of biodiversity. Ecology and Society, 10, 23. , , , & (
- LAEC (2007) Chainsaw Massacre: a Review of London’s Street Trees. Greater London Authority, London.
- Leicester City Council (2009) http://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-council-services/council-and-democracy/city-statistics/ (last accessed December 2009).
- 2009) Potential availability of urban wood biomass in Michigan: implications for energy production, carbon sequestration and sustainable forest management in the USA. Biomass and Bioenergy, 33, 628–634. (
- 2009) Urban forest biomass estimates: is it important to use allometric relationships developed specifically for urban trees? Urban Ecosystems, 12, 95–113. , , , & (
- 2003) Rural and Urban Hydrology. Thomas Telford Ltd., London. (
- MEA (2005) Ecosystems and Human Well-Being: Synthesis Report. Island Press, Washington D.C.
- Met Office (2009) http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/ (last accessed December 2009).
- 2003) Height-biomass allometry in temperate forests. International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium 2003, pp. 1942–1944. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, New York. , & (
- 2006) Restoration, reconciliation and reconnecting with nature. Biological Conservation, 127, 356–361. (
- 1997) Carbon in the vegetation and soils of Great Britain. Journal of Environmental Management, 49, 413–433. & (
- 2001) The land use change and forestry sector in the 1999 UK greenhouse gas inventory. UK Emissions by Sources and Removals by Sinks due to Land Use Change and Forestry Activities (ed R. Milne), pp. 11–59. Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions, London. , & (
- 2008) Global mapping of ecosystem services and conservation priorities. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 105, 9495–9500. , , , , , , & (
- 1993) Atmospheric carbon reduction by urban trees. Journal of Environmental Management, 37, 207–217. (
- 1994) Understanding the structure. Journal of Forestry, 92, 42–46. (
- 2002) Carbon storage and sequestration by urban trees in the USA. Environmental Pollution, 116, 381–389. & (
- 2006) Air pollution removal by urban trees and shrubs in the United States. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening, 4, 115–123. , & (
- 2002) Effects of urban tree management and species selection on atmospheric carbon dioxide. Journal of Arboriculture, 28, 113–122. , , & (
- 1984) Biomass prediction using generalized allometric regressions for some northeast tree species. Forest Ecology and Management, 7, 265–274. , & (
- 2006) Urban ecosystems and the North American carbon cycle. Global Change Biology, 12, 2092–2102. , , , , , , , & (
- 2003) The carbon pool in British semi-natural woodland. Forestry, 76, 109–119. , , , , & (
- 2000) Assessing the environmental performance of landcover types for urban planning. Landscape and Urban Planning, 52, 1–20. & (
- 2006) Carbon storage by urban soils in the United States. Journal of Environmental Quality, 35, 1566–1575. , & (
- 1998) The urban forest landscape of Athens, Greece: aspects of structure, planning and management. Arboricultural Journal, 12, 83–108. , & (
- 2004) Street tree and rural conspecifics: will long-lived trees reach full size in urban conditions? Urban Ecosystems, 7, 29–39. (
- R Development Core Team (2008) R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- RHS (2007) Gardening Matters. Royal Horticultural Society, London.
- 2009) The climate-species-matrix to select tree species for urban habitats considering climate change. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening, 8, 295–308. , & (
- 2003) Win-Win Ecology: How the Earth’s Species Can Survive in the Midst of Human Enterprise. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (
- 1991) Quantifying the role of urban forests in removing atmospheric carbon dioxide. Journal of Arboriculture, 17, 269–275. & (
- 1995) Terrestrial ecosystems and the carbon cycle. Global Change Biology, 1, 77–91. (
- 2007) Promoting ecosystem and human health in urban areas using greenspace infrastructure: a literature review. Landscape and Urban Planning, 81, 167–178. , , , , , & (
- UN (2008) World Urbanization Prospects: The 2007 Revision. United Nations, New York.
- UNDP, UNEP, World Bank & WRI (2000) World Resources 2000–2001: People and Ecosystems – the Fraying Web of Life. Elsevier Science, Amsterdam.
- 2006) The impact of soil compaction on soil aeration and fine root density of Quercus palustris. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening, 4, 69–74. & (
- 2009) Past and projected rural land conversion in the US at state, regional, and national levels. Landscape and Urban Planning, 89, 37–48. , & (
- 2001) “City form and natural process”– indicators for the ecological performance of urban areas and their application to Merseyside, UK. Landscape and Urban Planning, 57, 91–103. , & (
- 2006) Climate change, biodiversity and the urban environment: a critical review based on London, UK. Progress in Physical Geography, 30, 73–98. & (
- 2007) Increasing gross primary production (GPP) in the urbanizing landscapes of southeastern Michigan. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 73, 1159–1168. , & (
- 1997) Urban tree cover: an ecological perspective. Urban Ecosystems, 1, 229–246. , & (