A critical assessment of collaborative adaptive management in practice
Article first published online: 31 OCT 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Applied Ecology © 2011 British Ecological Society
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 49, Issue 1, pages 47–51, February 2012
How to Cite
Susskind, L., Camacho, A. E. and Schenk, T. (2012), A critical assessment of collaborative adaptive management in practice. Journal of Applied Ecology, 49: 47–51. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2011.02070.x
- Issue published online: 17 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 31 OCT 2011
- Received 29 April 2011; accepted 28 September 2011 Handling Editor: P. Armsworth
- 2009) Status and trends of the grand canyon population of humpback chub, fact sheet 2009–3035. U.S. Geological Survey. http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2009/3035/ (last accessed on 5 June 2010). . (
- 2002) Democracy in Practice: Public Participation in Environmental Decisions. Resources for the Future Press, Washington, DC. & (
- Bureau of Reclamation. (2008) Law of the river. U.S. Department of the Interior – Bureau of Reclamation. http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g1000/lawofrvr.html (last accessed on 5 June 2010).
- 2008) Beyond conjecture: learning about ecosystem management from the Glen Canyon Dam experiment. Nevada Law Journal, 8, 942–963. (
- CAMNet (2011) CAM programs & projects. http://www.adaptivemanagement.net/content/key-projects-documents (last accessed on 30 January 2011).
- Committee on Grand Canyon Monitoring and Research, National Research Council. (1999) Downstream: Adaptive Management of Glen Canyon Dam and the Colorado River Ecosystem. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- 2005) Swannee river partnership. Adaptive Governance and Water Conflict: New Institutions for Collaborative Planning (eds J.T. Scholz & B. Stiftel), pp. 25–39. Resources for the Future Press, Washington, DC. . (
- 2011) Making good use of adaptive management. Center for Progressive Reform White Paper #1104, available at SSRN: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1808106 (last accessed on 28 April 2011). , , , , , , , , , , & . (
- 1999) Joint fact-finding and the use of technical experts. The Consensus Building Handbook (eds L. Susskind, S. McKearnan & J. Thomas-Larmer), pp. 375–399. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA. & (
- 2008) Collaborative management of Glen Canyon Dam: the elevation of social engineering over law. Nevada Law Journal, 8, 896–941. (
- 2006) Trading Zones: Cooperating for Water Resource and Ecosystem Management when Stakeholders Have Apparently Irreconcilable Differences. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA. (
- Glen Canyon Dam Adaptive Management Program. (2001) Strategic plan (final draft). http://www.usbr.gov/uc/rm/amp/pdfs/sp_final.pdf (last accessed on 5 June 2010).
- Glen Canyon Dam Adaptive Management Program. (2006) Key resources. http://www.gcdamp.gov/keyresc/index.html (last accessed on 29 June 2011).
- Glen Canyon Dam Adaptive Management Program. (2010) Meeting minutes. http://www.usbr.gov/uc/rm/amp/mtgmin.html (last accessed on 30 June 2011).
- Glen Canyon Dam Adaptive Management Work Group. (1997) Charter. http://www.usbr.gov/uc/rm/amp/amwg/pdfs/amwg_charter.pdf (last accessed on 5 June 2010).
- Glen Canyon Dam Adaptive Management Work Group – Charter Ad Hoc Group. (2011) Report on the recommendations and findings of the Charter Ad Hoc Group (CAHG) of the Glen Canyon Adaptive Management Group (AMWG). http://www.usbr.gov/uc/rm/amp/amwg/mtgs/11feb09/Attach_03.pdf (last accessed on 28 April 2011).
- Glen Canyon Dam Adaptive Management Work Group – Roles Ad Hoc Group. (2007) Report and recommendations to the secretary’s designee. http://www.usbr.gov/uc/rm/amp/amwg/mtgs/07aug29/Attach_13a.pdf (last accessed on 5 June 2010).
- 1978) Adaptive Environmental Assessment and Management. Wiley, Chichester, UK. (
- 2010) Planning with Complexity: An Introduction to Collaborative Rationality for Public Policy. Routledge, New York, NY. & (
- 2008) Natural experiments: ecosystem-based management and the environment. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. (
- 2011) Effects of three high-flow experiments on the Colorado River ecosystem downstream from Glen Canyon Dam. U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1366, Arizona. http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1366/ (last accessed on 28 April 2011). , Ed. (
- 2004) Social-ecological transformation for ecosystem management: the development of adaptive co-management of a wetland landscape in southern Sweden. Ecology and Society, 9, 2. http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol9/iss4/art2/ (last accessed on 5 June 2010). , & (
- 2010) Assessment report: member and participant views about potential Changes to the charter and operating procedures of the Glen Canyon Adaptive Management Work Group. Prepared for: Charter Ad Hoc Group of the Glen Canyon Adaptive Management Work Group. US Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution of the Udall Foundation, Tucson, AZ. http://www.usbr.gov/uc/rm/amp/amwg/mtgs/11feb09/Attach_03.pdf (last accessed on 30 June 2011). , & . (
- 2008) Stakeholder participation for environmental management: a literature review. Biological Conservation, 141, 2417–2431. (
- 2009) FWS must reconsider dam’s effects on Grand Canyon chub. Land Letter. E&E Publishing LLC. http://www.eenews.net/Landletter/2009/05/28/5/ (last accessed on 5 June 2010). . (
- 2010) Adaptive management in the courts. Minnesota Law Review, 95. http://www.minnesotalawreview.org/sites/default/files/Ruhl-Fischman_MLR.pdf (last accessed on 30 January 2011). & . (
- 2010) Collaborative planning and adaptive management in Glen Canyon: a cautionary tale. Colombia Journal of Environmental Law, 35, 1–55. , & (
- 1999) The Consensus Building Handbook. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA. , & eds. (
- 1998) The risks and the advantages of agency discretion: evidence from EPA’s project XL. UCLA Journal of Environmental Law & Policy, 17, 67–116. & (
- U.S. Congress. (1973) Endangered Species Act of 1973 (16 U.S.C. 1531–1544, 87 Stat. 884), as amended. http://www.fws.gov/laws/lawsdigest/esact.html (last accessed on 26 February 2011).
- U.S. Congress. (1992) Grand Canyon Protection Act of 1992. H.R.429, Title XVIII. http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~landc/html/gcpa1992.html (last accessed on 5 June 2010).
- 2008) A Train Without Tracks: Rethinking the Place of Law and Goals in Environmental and Natural Resources Law. Environmental Law, 38, 1239. http://legacy.lclark.edu/org/envtl/objects/38-4_Wiersma.pdf (last accessed on 31 January 2011). (
- 2009) Adaptive management: The U.S. department of the interior technical guide. Adaptive Management Working Group, Washington, DC. , & (
- 2002) Experiences in ecosystem management: ecosystem management in policy and practice. Ecosystem Management: Adaptive, Community-Based Conservation (eds G. K Meffe, L.A. Nielsen, R.L. Knight & D.A. Schenborn), pp. 89–94. Island Press, Washington, DC. . (