Present address: BirdLife International, Wellbrook Court, Girton Road, Cambridge CB3 0NA, UK.
Cost–benefit analysis of ecological networks assessed through spatial analysis of ecosystem services
Version of Record online: 31 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Applied Ecology © 2012 British Ecological Society
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 49, Issue 3, pages 571–580, June 2012
How to Cite
Newton, A. C., Hodder, K., Cantarello, E., Perrella, L., Birch, J. C., Robins, J., Douglas, S., Moody, C. and Cordingley, J. (2012), Cost–benefit analysis of ecological networks assessed through spatial analysis of ecosystem services. Journal of Applied Ecology, 49: 571–580. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2012.02140.x
- Issue online: 31 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 31 MAY 2012
- Received 25 November 2011; accepted 27 March 2012 Handling Editor: Jane Memmott
- 2011) Bringing ecosystem services into the real world: an operational framework for assessing the economic consequences of losing wild nature. Environmental and Resource Economics, 48, 161–175. , , , , , & (
- 2010) Cost-effectiveness of dryland forest restoration evaluated by spatial analysis of ecosystem services. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 107, 21925–21930. , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Ecological networks as conceptual frameworks or operational tools in conservation. Conservation Biology, 21, 1414–1422. , , & (
- 2005) Rebuilding Biodiversity in the South West. The South West Wildlife Trusts, Bristol. (
- 2011) Restoration of ecosystem services and biodiversity. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 26, 541–549. , , , & (
- 2011) Potential effects of future land-use change on carbon stocks of the south west of England. Environmental Science & Policy, 14, 40–52. , & (
- 2009) Identifying cost-effective hotspots for restoring natural capital and enhancing landscape multifunctionality. Ecological Economics, 68, 654–668. & (
- 2007) Are hedgerows effective corridors between fragments of woodland habitat? An evidence–based approach. Landscape Ecology, 22, 333–351. & (
- DECC (2009) Carbon Appraisal in UK Policy Appraisal: A Revised Approach. A Brief Guide to the New Carbon Values and their Use in Economic Appraisal. Department of Energy and Climate Change, London.
- 2008) Mapping ecosystem services for planning and management. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 127, 135–140. , , , , & (
- 2008) Which Landscape Features Affect Species Movement? A Systematic Review in the Context of Climate Change. Department for Food, Agriculture and Rural Affairs, London. http://randd.defra.gov.uk/Document.aspx?Document=WC0705_7598_FRP.pdf . , , , , , & (
- 2003) Effects of habitat fragmentation on biodiversity. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics, 34, 487–515. (
- 2008) Ecosystem services and economic theory: integration for policy-relevant research. Ecological Applications, 18, 2050–2067. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2002) The UK Land Cover Map 2000: construction of a parcel-based vector map from satellite images. Cartographic Journal, 39, 15–25. , , , & (
- 2010) Challenges in integrating the concept of ecosystem services and values in landscape planning, management and decision making. Ecological Complexity, 7, 260–272. , , , & (
- 2007) Pan-European ecological networks. Journal for Nature Conservation, 15, 262–264. (
- 2004) Ecological Networks and Greenways. Concept, Design, Implementation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. & (eds.) (
- 2011) Natural Capital. Theory and Practice of Mapping Ecosystem Services. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , , & (
- 2010) Making Space for Nature: A Review of England’s Wildlife Sites and Ecological Network. Department for Food, Agriculture and Rural Affairs, London. , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2006) Mapping the economic costs and benefits of conservation. Plos Biology, 4, 2153–2164. & (
- 2008) Global mapping of ecosystem services and conservation priorities. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 105, 9495–9500. , , , , , , & (
- 2009) Modeling multiple ecosystem services, biodiversity conservation, commodity production, and tradeoffs at landscape scales. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 7, 4–11. , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2003) Discounting the distant future: how much do uncertain rates increase valuations? Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 46, 52–71. & (
- 2006) Ecological networks: a spatial concept for multi-actor planning of sustainable landscapes. Landscape and Urban Planning, 75, 322–332. , & (
- 2006) UK Biodiversity Action Plan: Preparing Costings for Species and Habitat Action Plans. GHK Consulting Ltd, Plymouth. (
- 2009) Valuing nature-conservation interests on agricultural floodplains. Journal of Applied Ecology, 46, 289–296. , , , , , & (
- South West Regional Research Group (2003) The Value of Tourism to the South West Economy in 2001. http://tourisminsights.info/ONLINEPUB/. Accessed October 13th, 2010.
- South West Wildlife Trusts (2006) Rebuilding biodiversity in the South West. South West Wildlife Trusts, Bristol.
- 2004) The need for evidence-based conservation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 19, 305–308. , , & (
- TEEB (2009) TEEB Climate Issues Update. September 2009. UNEP, Geneva.
- TEEB. (2010) The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity: Ecological and Economic Foundations. Earthscan, London.
- The Wildlife Trusts. (2006) A Living Landscape. A Call to Restore the UK’s Battered Ecosystems, for Wildlife and People. The Wildlife Trusts, Newark, UK.
- 2003) The Green Book: Appraisal and Evaluation in Central Government. The Stationery Office, London. (
- 2001) The economic value of wetland services: a meta-analysis. Ecological Economics, 37, 257–270. & (