Present address: School of Biological & Biomedical Sciences, Durham University, South Road, Durham, DH1 3LE, UK.
Landscape-scale responses of birds to agri-environment management: a test of the English Environmental Stewardship scheme
Article first published online: 2 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Applied Ecology © 2012 British Ecological Society
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 49, Issue 4, pages 871–882, August 2012
How to Cite
Baker, D. J., Freeman, S. N., Grice, P. V. and Siriwardena, G. M. (2012), Landscape-scale responses of birds to agri-environment management: a test of the English Environmental Stewardship scheme. Journal of Applied Ecology, 49: 871–882. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2012.02161.x
- Issue published online: 17 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 2 JUL 2012
- Received: 13 January 2012; accepted: 22 May 2012 Handling Editor : David Kleijn
- 2010) Effects of conservation management on bees and insect-pollinated grassland plant communities in three European countries. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 136, 35–39. , , , , , , & (
- 2004) Impact of habitat management on grey partridge populations: assessing wildlife cover using a multisite BACI experiment. Journal of Applied Ecology, 41, 846–857. , , & (
- 2011) The geometric mean of relative abundance indices: a biodiversity measure with a difference. Ecosphere, 2:art100. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1890/ES11-00186.1. , , , & (
- 2010) Assessing the impact of Entry Level Stewardship on lowland farmland birds in England. Ibis, 152, 459–474. , , , , & (
- 2009) Improving the value of field margins as foraging habitat for farmland birds. Journal of Applied Ecology, 46, 353–362. , & (
- 2011) The provision of winter bird food by the English Environmental Stewardship scheme. Ibis, 153, 14–26. , , & (
- 2008) On a log-linear approach to detecting ecological interactions in monitored populations. Ibis, 150, 250–258. & (
- 2010) The effectiveness of agri-environment schemes for the conservation of farmland moths: assessing the importance of a landscape-scale management approach. Journal of Applied Ecology, 48, 532–542. , & (
- 2005) Winter availability of cereal stubbles attracts declining farmland birds and positively influences breeding population trends. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, Biological sciences, 272, 733–739. , , & (
- 2010) Assessing the implications of the loss of set-aside for farmland birds. Ibis, 152, 713–723. , , & (
- 2010) Testing agri-environment delivery for farmland birds at the farm scale: the Hillesden experiment. Ibis, 152, 500–514. , , , , , & (
- IEEP (2008) Funding for Farmland Biodiversity in the EU: Gaining Evidence for the EU Budget Review. A Report for the RSPB.
- 2003) How effective are European agri-environment schemes in conserving and promoting biodiversity? Journal of Applied Ecology, 40, 947–969. & (
- 2006) Mixed biodiversity benefits of agri-environment schemes in five European countries. Ecology Letters, 9, 243–254. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2011) Does conservation on farmland contribute to halting the biodiversity decline? Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 26, 474–481. , , , & (
- 2001) Seeing without being seen: a removal experiment with mixed flocks of Willow and Crested tits Parus montanus and cristatus. Ibis, 143, 476–481. (
- Natural England (2010a) Entry Level Stewardship – Environmental Stewardship Handbook, 3rd edn. Natural England, Peterborough.
- Natural England (2010b) Higher Level Stewardship – Environmental Stewardship Handbook, 3rd edn. Natural England, Peterborough.
- Natural England (2010c) Organic Entry Level Stewardship – Environmental Stewardship Handbook, 3rd edn. Natural England, Peterborough.
- 2011) Adaptive management and targeting of agri-environment schemes does benefit biodiversity: a case study of the corn bunting Emberiza calandra. Journal of Applied Ecology, 48, 514–522. , , & (
- 2011) The relationship between multi-scale habitat heterogeneity and farmland bird abundance. Ecography, 34, 955–969. & (
- 2011) The Breeding Bird Survey 2010. BTO Research Report 597. British Trust for Ornithology, Thetford. , , , , , , & (
- 2001) The importance of arable habitat for farmland birds in grassland landscapes. Journal of Applied Ecology, 38, 1059–1069. , & (
- SAS Institute Inc. (2008) SASOnlineDoc®, Version 9.2. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- 2010) The importance of spatial and temporal scale for agri-environment scheme delivery. Ibis, 152, 515–529. (
- 2004) Effects of habitat on the use of supplementary food by farmland birds in winter. Ibis, 146(S2), 144–154. & (
- 2000) The demography of lowland farmland birds. Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds (eds N.J. Aebischer, A.D. Evans, P.V. Grice & J.A. Vickery), pp. 117–133. British Ornithologists’ Union, Tring. , , , & (
- 2007) The effect of supplementary winter seed food on breeding populations of farmland birds: evidence from two large-scale experiments. Journal of Applied Ecology, 44, 920–932. , , , , & (
- 2007) Direct and indirect effects of the most widely implemented Dutch agri-environment schemes on breeding waders. Journal of Applied Ecology, 44, 70–80. , & (
- 2009) Arable field margins managed for biodiversity conservation: a review of food resource provision for farmland birds. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 133, 1–13. , & (
- 2007) Will agri-environment schemes deliver substantial biodiversity gain, and if not why not? Journal of Applied Ecology, 44, 1–5. (
- 2009) Bird Conservation and Agriculture. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , & (
- 2001) Numbers and distribution of Northern Lapwings Vanellus vanellus breeding in England and Wales in 1998. Bird Study, 48, 2–17. , & (
- 2010) The development of Farmland Bird Packages for arable farmers in England. Aspects of Applied Biology, 100, 347–352. , , , , , , & (