The biodiversity audit approach challenges regional priorities and identifies a mismatch in conservation
Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Applied Ecology © 2012 British Ecological Society
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 49, Issue 5, pages 986–997, October 2012
How to Cite
Dolman, P. M., Panter, C. J., Mossman, H. L. (2012), The biodiversity audit approach challenges regional priorities and identifies a mismatch in conservation. Journal of Applied Ecology, 49: 986–997. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2012.02174.x
- Issue online: 20 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 JAN 2012
- Forestry Commission
- Natural England
- Suffolk County Council
- Norfolk Biodiversity Partnership
- Plantlife and The Broads Authority
- 2001) The Millennium Atlas of Butterflies in Britain and Ireland. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , , , & (
- BA. (2009) Broads Authority Biodiversity Action Plan: Action Plan 2009–2014. Broads Authority, Norwich.
- 2011) Rapid recovery of a depleted population of little bustards Tetrax tetrax following provision of alfalfa through an agri-environment scheme. Ibis, 153, 4–13. , , , , & (
- BRIG. (2007) Report on the Species and Habitat Review: Report to the UK Standing Committee June 2007. Biodiversity Reporting and Information Group, Peterborough.
- 2002) Taxonomic bias in conservation research. Science, 297, 191–192. & (
- 2006) Changing habitat associations of a thermally constrained species, the silver-spotted skipper butterfly, in response to climate warming. Journal of Animal Ecology, 75, 247–256. , , & (
- Defra. (2011) Biodiversity 2020: A strategy for England's Wildlife and Ecosystem Services. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London.
- 2010) Securing Biodiversity in Breckland: Guidance for Conservation and Research. First Report of the Breckland Biodiversity Audit. University of East Anglia, Norwich. , & (
- 1992) The ecological changes of Breckland grass heaths and the consequences of management. Journal of Applied Ecology, 29, 402–413. & (
- 2009) Birds of Conservation Concern 3: the population status of birds in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. British Birds, 102, 296–341. , , , , , , , & (
- EC. (1992) Council Directive 92/43/EEC of 21 May 1992 on the Conservation of Natural Habitats and of Wild Fauna and Flora. European Commission, Brussels.
- EN. (2001) Breckland Natural Area Biodiversity Action Plans: Targets/Action Report. English Nature, Norwich.
- 2006) The Red Data List of Threatened British Fungi: Preliminary Assessment. British Mycological Society, Manchester. , & (
- 2006) Plant diversity in clearfell forest: ecological patterns and management effects. Journal of Applied Ecology, 43, 1160–1171. , & (
- 2002) Countryside Survey 2000 Module 7: Land Cover Map 2000: Final Report (CEH: Project Report Number C00878). Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (Natural Environment Research Council), Monks Wood. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2010) Regional priority setting for rare species based on a method combining three criteria. Biological Conservation, 143, 1501–1509. , & (
- 1997) Atlas of Grasshoppers Crickets and Allied Insects in Britain and Ireland. Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Huntingdon. & (
- 2002) Provisional Atlas of British Spiders (Arachnida, Araneae), Volumes 1 & 2. Biological Records Centre, Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Monks Wood. , & (
- JNCC (2011) Conservation Designations for UK Taxa. Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough. http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-3408.
- 2010) Making Space for Nature: a Review of England's Wildlife Sites and Ecological Network. Report to Defra. , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2007) A checklist for ecological management of landscapes for conservation. Ecology Letters, 10, 1–14. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- MEA. (2005) Ecosystems and Human Well-being: Biodiversity Synthesis. Millenium Ecosystem Assessment, World Resources Institute, Washington, DC.
- NE. (2008) Natural England Framework for Science, Research and Evidence Integrated Science to Support Integrated Solutions: Natural England Research Report NERR011. Natural England, Peterborough.
- NEA. (2011) The UK National Ecosystem Assessment: Synthesis of the Key Findings. UNEP-WCMC, Cambridge.
- 2006) Partial recovery of the population of corncrakes Crex crex in Britain, 1993–2004. Bird Study, 53, 213–224. , & (
- 1977) A Nature Conservation Review: The Selection of Biological Sites of National Importance to Nature Conservation in Britain. Volume 1. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. (
- 2008) Species prioritization for monitoring and management in regional multiple species conservation plans. Diversity and Distributions, 14, 462–471. , , , , , & (
- 1998) Breckland Natural Area Profile. English Nature, Norfolk Team, Norwich. (
- 2005) Taxonomic bias in reintroduction projects. Animal Conservation, 8, 51–58. , & (
- 2004) The need for evidence-based conservation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 19, 305–308. , , & (
- 2001) Ecological and evolutionary processes at expanding range margins. Nature, 411, 577–581. , , , , , & (
- 2012) Agriculture—a key element for conservation in the developing world. Conservation Letters, 5, 11–19. , & (