Topography drives migratory flight altitude of golden eagles: implications for on-shore wind energy development
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Applied Ecology © 2012 British Ecological Society
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 49, Issue 5, pages 1178–1186, October 2012
How to Cite
Katzner, T. E., Brandes, D., Miller, T., Lanzone, M., Maisonneuve, C., Tremblay, J. A., Mulvihill, R., Merovich, G. T. (2012), Topography drives migratory flight altitude of golden eagles: implications for on-shore wind energy development. Journal of Applied Ecology, 49: 1178–1186. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2012.02185.x
- Issue published online: 20 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 JAN 2012
- 2006) The Northern Appalachian/Acadian Ecoregion: Ecoregional Assessment, Conservation Status and Resource CD. The Nature Conservancy, Eastern Conservation Science and The Nature Conservancy of Canada: Atlantic and Quebec regions. , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2004) Behavioural and environmental correlates of soaring-bird mortality at on-shore turbines. Journal of Applied Ecology, 41, 72–81. & (
- 1981) Circular Statistics in Biology. pp. 388. Academic Press, New York, NY. (
- 2009) Pre- and post-Construction Studies of Conflicts between Birds and Wind Turbines in Coastal Norway. pp. 70. BirdWind Progress Report 2009. – NINA Report 505. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2004) Hawth's Analysis Tools for ArcGIS. Available at http://www.spatialecology.com/htools. (
- 2006) Migrating Raptors of the World: their Ecology and Conservation. pp. 336. Cornell University Press, Ithaca. (
- 2001) Molt and sequence of plumages of golden eagles and a technique for in-hand ageing. North American Bird Bander, 26, 97–116. & (
- 2004) Modeling raptor migration pathways using a fluid flow analogy. Journal of Raptor Research, 38, 195–207. & (
- 1996) Complete migration cycle of golden eagles breeding in northern Quebec. The Condor, 98, 293–299. , , & (
- CANWEA (2011) Canadian Wind Energy Association Web Page. http://www.canwea.ca/index_e.php. Accessed 15 September 2011.
- 2005) Avian collision risk at an offshore wind farm. Biology Letters, 1, 296–298. & (
- DOE. (2008) US Department of Energy Report: 20% Wind Energy by 2030. Increasing Wind Energy's Contribution to U.S. Electricity Supply. http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy08osti/41869.pdf; accesssed 26 September 2011.
- 2010) Bird migration flight altitudes studied by a network of operational weather radars. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, doi:10.1098/rsif.2010.0116. , , , , & (
- 2002) Synthesis and Comparison of Baseline Avian and Bat Use, Raptor Nesting and Mortality Information from Proposed and Existing Wind Developments. WEST Inc. Report to Bonneville Power Administration, Cheyenne, WY, USA. , , , , , , & (
- 1995) A cognitively-based approach for hydrogeomorphic land classification using digital terrain models. Proceedings, Third International Conference on Integrating GIS and Environmental Modeling. National Center for Geographic Information and Analysis, Santa Barbara, CA. & (
- 2011) Weak relationship between risk assessment studies and recorded mortality in wind farms. Journal of Applied Ecology, 49, 38–46. , , , , , & (
- 1999) A simple and universal method for molecular sexing of non-ratite birds. Journal of Avian Biology, 30, 116–121. & (
- 2007) The National Elevation Dataset (ed. D. Maune), Digital Elevation Model Technologies and Applications: The DEM Users Manual, 2nd edn. pp. 99–118. American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Bethesda, MD. (
- 2005) Behavior of red-tailed hawks in a wind turbine development. Journal of Wildlife Management, 69, 150–159. & (
- 2002) Golden Eagles in A Perilous Landscape: Predicting The Effects Of Mitigation For Wind Turbine Blade-Strike Mortality. California Energy Commission Consultant Report. pp. 72. (
- 2008) Hole-filled SRTM for the globe Version 4. Available from the CGIAR-CSI SRTM 90m Database (http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org). , , & (
- 2012) Status, biology and conservation priorities for North America's eastern Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) population. The Auk, 129, 168–176. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1989) Flight Strategies of Migrating Hawks. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. (
- 1985) Comparative flight behaviour of migrating hawks studied with tracking radar during autumn in central New York. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 63, 755–761. , & (
- 1985) Flight behavior of raptors during spring migration in south Texas studied with radar and visual observations. Journal of Field Ornithology, 56, 394–402. & (
- 2008) Flexibility in daily travel routines causes regional variation in bird migration speed. Behavioral Ecology & Sociobiology, 62, 1427–1432. , , & (
- 2002) Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos), The Birds of North America Online (ed A. Poole), Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca. , , & (
- 1996) The use of thermals by soaring migrants. IBIS, 138, 667–674. & (
- 2006) Upland raptors and the assessment of wind farm impacts. IBIS, 148, 43–56. & (
- 1997) Seasonal shifts in the effects of weather on the visible migration of Red-tailed Hawks at Hawk Mountain, Pennsylvania, 1992–1994. Wilson Bulletin, 109, 246–252. , & (
- 2002) Improving prediction of golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) ranging in western Scotland using GIS and terrain modelling. Journal of Raptor Research, 36(Suppl 1), 70–77. , & (
- 2009) Golden eagle migration and winter behavior in Pennsylvania. Avian Ecology and Conservation: A Pennsylvania Focus with National Implications (eds S.K. Majumdar), pp. 111–125. Pennsylvania Academy of Sciences, Easton, PA, USA. , , , , & (
- 1984) Distribution of wintering Golden Eagles in the eastern United States. Wilson Bulletin, 96, 692–701. & (
- 1994) Abundance and distribution of nesting golden eagles in Hudson Bay, Québec. Journal of Raptor Research, 28, 220–225. , , , & (
- 1967) Wind drift, leading lines, and diurnal migration. The Wilson Bulletin, 79, 50–63. & (
- NWCC (2010) Wind Turbine Interactions with Birds, Bats, and their Habitats: A Summary of Research Results and Priority Questions. Available on-line at http://www.nationalwind.org/assets/publications/Birds_and_Bats_Fact_Sheet.pdf.
- 2008) The Migration Ecology of Birds. Academic Press, London. (
- the R Development Core Team (2011). nlme: Linear and Nonlinear Mixed Effects Models. R package version 3.1–100. , , & &
- R Development Core Team (2011). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org/.
- SAS v. 9.2, SAS Institute Inc., SAS, Cary, NC, USA.
- 2003) Differential use of thermal convection by soaring birds over central Israel. Condor, 105, 208–218. , , & (
- 2008) Bird mortality at the Altamont Pass Wind Resource Area, California. Journal of Wildlife Management, 72, 215–223. & (
- 1996) Soaring migration of Steppe Eagles Aquila nipalensis in southern Israel: flight behaviour under various wind and thermal conditions. Journal of Avian Biology, 27, 289–301. & (
- 2000) Forecasting flight altitudes and soaring performance of migrating raptors by the altitudinal profile of atmospheric conditions. Technical Soaring, 24, 49–55. , & (
- USEIA (2011) US Energy Information Agency: Renewables and Alternative Fuels web page. http://www.eia.gov/cneaf/solar.renewables/page/wind/wind.html accessed 15 September 2011.
- USFWS (2011a) US Fish and Wildlife Service Draft Land-Based Wind Energy Guidelines. US Fish and Wildlife Service.
- USFWS (2011b) Draft Eagle Conservation Plan Guidance. US Fish and Wildlife Service.
- 2010) The Golden Eagle, 2nd edn. T&AD Poyser, London, UK. (