Role of domestic shipping in the introduction or secondary spread of nonindigenous species: biological invasions within the Laurentian Great Lakes
Version of Record online: 10 AUG 2012
© Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada (2012) Journal of Applied Ecology © 2012 British Ecological Society Reproduced with the permission of the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans.
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 49, Issue 5, pages 1124–1130, October 2012
How to Cite
Briski, E., Wiley, C. J., Bailey, S. A. (2012), Role of domestic shipping in the introduction or secondary spread of nonindigenous species: biological invasions within the Laurentian Great Lakes. Journal of Applied Ecology, 49: 1124–1130. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2012.02186.x
- Issue online: 20 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 10 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 6 MAR 2012
- 2000) Freshwater Ecoregions of North America. Island Press, Washington, District of Columbia, USA. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2011) Evaluating efficacy of an environmental policy to prevent biological invasions. Environmental Science and Technology, 45, 2554–2561. , , , , & (
- 2010) Efficacy of ‘saltwater flushing’ in protecting the Great Lakes from biological invasions by invertebrate eggs in ships' ballast sediment. Freshwater Biology, 55, 2414–2424. , , & (
- 1984) Non-parametric estimation of the number of classes in a population. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, 11, 265–270. (
- 2003) User's Guide for Program SPADE (Species Prediction and Diversity Estimation). Updated August 2008. http://chao.stat.nthu.edu.tw/. & (
- 2006) SPADE Version 3.1. http://chao.stat.nthu.edu.tw/. & (
- 2000) Consequences of changing biodiversity. Nature, 405, 234–242. , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2009) Prominent role of invasive species in avian biodiversity loss. Biological Conservation, 142, 2043–2049. , , & (
- 2011) Mountain pine beetle host-range expansion threatens the boreal forest. Molecular Ecology, 20, 2157–2171. , , , , & (
- 2012) Ballast water transport of non-indigenous zooplankton to Canadian ports. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 69, 483–491. , , & (
- 2005) Invertebrates associated with residual ballast water and sediments of cargo-carrying ships entering the Great Lakes. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 62, 2463–2474. , , , , & (
- 2011) Does invasion of Vallisneria spiralis L. promote appearance of rare and new rotifer (Rotifera) species in littoral of the lakes heated by power station (Konin Lakes, W. Poland). Polish Journal of Ecology, 59, 201–207. (
- 2008) Animal xenodiversity in Italian inland waters: distribution, modes of arrival, and pathways. Biological Invasions, 10, 435–454. , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2006) Ecosim: Null Models Software for Ecology, Version 7. Acquired Intelligence Inc. and Kesey-Bear, Jericho, Vermont, USA. http://garyentsminger.com/ecosim.htm. & (
- Government of Canada. (2006) Ballast water control and management regulations. Canada Gazette, 140 (l3).
- 2003) Lake Superior: an invasion coldspot? Hydrobiologia, 499, 191–210. , , , , & (
- International Maritime Organization (IMO). (2004).International convention for the control and management of ships ballast water and sediments. As Adopted by Consensus at a Diplomatic Conference at IMO, London, England, February 13 2004.
- ISSG (Invasive Species Specialist Group). (2011) Global Invasive Species Database. IUCN Species Survival Commission. Available at: http://issg.org (accessed 2 November 2011).
- 2006) Conservation science: a 20-year report card. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 4, 473–480. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2005) The role of propagule pressure in explaining species invasions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 20, 223–228. , & (
- 2006) Biological invasions: recommendations for US policy and management. Ecological Applications, 16, 2035–2054. , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2011) Should biological invasions be managed as natural disasters? BioScience, 61, 312–317. , & (
- 2010) Domestic ballast operations on the Great Lakes: potential importance of Lakers as a vector for introduction and spread of nonindigenous species. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, 67, 256–268. , , , , , & (
- Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation (SLSDC). (2008) Seaway Regulations and Rules: Ballast Water. Code of Federal Regulations 33-CFR Part 401.
- 2010) Is vessel hull fouling an invasion threat to the Great Lakes? Diversity and Distributions, 16, 132–143. & (
- United States Coast Guard (USCG). (1993) Ballast water management for vessels entering the great lakes. Code of Federal Regulations33-CFR Part 151. 1510.
- 1996) Biological Invasions, 1st edn. Chapman & Hall, London. (