Present address M. Dunowska, Unit 8, 69 Paxton Street, Denman 2328, Australia. G. Patterson, 4646 E. Mineral Rd., Phoenix, AZ, 85044, USA.
Comparison of Salmonella enterica serotype Infantis isolates from a veterinary teaching hospital
Article first published online: 30 OCT 2006
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 102, Issue 6, pages 1527–1536, June 2007
How to Cite
Dunowska, M., Morley, P.S., Traub-Dargatz, J.L., Davis, M.A., Patterson, G., Frye, J.G., Hyatt, D.R. and Dargatz, D.A. (2007), Comparison of Salmonella enterica serotype Infantis isolates from a veterinary teaching hospital. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 102: 1527–1536. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2672.2006.03198.x
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2006
- Article first published online: 30 OCT 2006
- 2006/1098: received 28 July 2006, revised 7 September 2006 and accepted 8 September 2006
- 2005) Selection of cross-resistance following exposure of Pseudomonas aeruginosa clinical isolates to ciprofloxacin or cefepime. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49, 2543–2545. , , , and (
- 2001) Molecular epidemiology of Salmonella Heidelberg in an equine hospital. Vet Microbiol 80, 85–98. , , , and (
- Anon. (2001) Outbreaks of multidrug-resistant Salmonella Typhimurium associated with veterinary facilities – Idaho, Minnesota, and Washington, 1999. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 50, 701–704.
- 2005) Dissemination of sulfonamide resistance genes (sul1, sul2, and sul3) in Portuguese Salmonella enterica strains and relation with integrons. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49, 836–839. , , and (
- 1995) Laboratory procedures for the epidemiologic analysis of the microorganisms. In Manual of Clinical Microbiology ed. Murray, P.R. pp. 190–208. Washington DC: ASM Press. (
- 2002) An outbreak of Salmonella serotype Saintpaul in a children's hospital. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 23, 671–676. , , , , , and (
- 1989) Characteristics of Salmonella isolated from an outbreak of equine salmonellosis in a veterinary teaching hospital. J Eq Vet Surg 9, 236–241. , , , and (
- CDC (US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) (1996) Salmonella surveillance: annual summary, 1996. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC. Available: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/phlisdata/salmtab/1996/SalmonellaAnnualSummary1996.PDF, accessed April 7, 2006.
- CDC (US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) (2006) National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System (NARMS) Reports. Available: http://www.cdc.gov/narms/reports.htm, accessed April 4, 2006.
- CSU (Colorado State University) (2006) Biosecurity Standard Operating Procedures. Available http://csuvets.colostate.edu/biosecurity/biosecurity.html, accessed April 7, 2006.
- 2005) The effect of Virkon S fogging on survival of Salmonella enterica and Staphylococcus aureus on surfaces in a veterinary teaching hospital. Vet Micro 105, 281–289. , and (
- 2006) Evaluation of the efficacy of a peroxygen disinfectant footmat for reduction of bacterial load on boots in veterinary hospital settings. J Am Vet Med Assoc 228, 1935–1939. , , , and (
- 2005) Risk factors associated with extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing organisms at a tertiary care hospital. J Antimicrob Chemother 56, 139–145. , , and (
- 2003a) Drug resistance genes encoded in integrons and in extra-integrons: their distribution and lateral transfer among pathogenic enterobacteriaceae including enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica serovars Typhimurium and Infantis. Jpn J Infect Dis 56, 123–126. , and (
- 2003b) Chromosomal transferable multidrug resistance genes of Salmonella enterica serovar Infantis. Jpn J Infect Dis 56, 216–218. , and (
- 2002) Identification and characterization of transferable integron-mediated antibiotic resistance among Salmonella serovar Typhimurium and Salmonella serovar Infantis isolates from 1991 to 2002. Jpn J Infect Dis 55, 135–138. , and (
- 1995) PCR mapping of integrons reveals several novel combinations of resistance genes. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 39, 185–191. , , and (
- 2003) Molecular fingerprinting evidence of the contribution of wildlife vectors in the maintenance of Salmonella Enteritidis infection in layer farms. J Appl Microbiol 94, 1024–1029. , , , , and (
- 2004) Pediatric infection due to multiresistant Salmonella enterica serotype Infantis in Honduras. J Clin Microbiol 42, 4885–4888. , , , , , , and (
- 1999) Discrimination between endemic and feedborne Salmonella Infantis infection in cattle by molecular typing. Epidemiol Infect 122, 497–504. , , and (
- 2003) Analysis of the clonal relationship among clinical isolates of Salmonella enterica serovar Infantis by different typing methods. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 45, 119–123. , , , , , , and (
- 2004) Salmonella typhimurium persists within macrophages in the mesenteric lymph nodes of chronically infected Nramp1+/+ mice and can be reactivated by IFNgamma neutralization. J Exp Med 199, 231–241. , and (
- 2000) Epidemiological analysis of bacterial strains involved in hospital infection in a university hospital from Brazil. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 42, 201–207. , , , and (
- 2002) Biosecurity of veterinary practices. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract 18, 133–155. (
- 2004) Surveillance for nosocomial infections in veterinary hospitals. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 20, 561–576. (
- 2005) Evaluation of the efficacy of disinfectant footbaths as used in veterinary hospitals. J Am Vet Med Assoc 226, 2053–2058. , , and (
- 1999) Genotypic characterization of human and environmental isolates of Salmonella choleraesuis subspecies choleraesuis serovar Infantis by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis. Microbiol Immunol 43, 293–296. , and (
- NCCLS. (2002) Performance Standard for Antimicrobial Disk Susceptibility Test for Bacteria That Grow Aerobically. Approved standard – 2nd edn. NCCLS document M31-A2. Wayne, PA, USA: NCCLS.
- 2005) Antibiotic resistance and class 1 integron patterns of non-typhoidal human Salmonella serotypes isolated in Hungary in 2002 and 2003. Int J Antimicrob Agents 26, 126–132. , , and (
- 2001) A nosocomial outbreak of fluoroquinolone-resistant Salmonella infection. N Engl J Med 344, 1572–1579. , , , , , , , et al. (
- 2005) Efficacy of directed misting application of a peroxygen disinfectant for environmental decontamination of a veterinary hospital. J Am Vet Med Assoc 227, 597–602. , , , and (
- 2000) Risk factors for Salmonella persistence after cleansing and disinfection in French broiler-chicken houses. Prev Vet Med 44, 9–20. , , , , and (
- 2001) An outbreak of salmonellosis among horses at a veterinary teaching hospital. J Am Vet Med Assoc 218, 1152–1159. , , , , , , , et al. (
- 2000) Direct costs associated with a nosocomial outbreak of Salmonella infection: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Am J Infect Control 28, 54–57. , , , and (
- 1997) Outbreak of Salmonella Infantis infection in a large animal veterinary teaching hospital. J Am Vet Med Assoc 211, 1554–1557. , , , , , , , et al. (
- 2004) An overview of infection control strategies for equine facilities with an emphasis on veterinary hospitals. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 20, 507–530. , , and (
- 2006) Evaluation of three hygiene protocols on the reduction of bacterial load on the hands of veterinary staff performing routine equine physical examinations. Can Vet J 47, 671–676. , , , , and (
- USDA (United States Department of Agriculture, 2006) Bacterial epidemiology and antimicrobial resistance. Available: http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=6750, accessed April 4, 2006.
- 1994) Equine salmonellosis in a Dutch veterinary teaching hospital. Vet Rec 135, 248–250. , , , and (
- 1991) An outbreak of equine neonatal salmonellosis. J Vet Diagn Investig 3, 223–227. , , , , and (
- 1996) Investigation of an outbreak of human salmonellosis caused by Salmonella enterica ssp. enterica serovar Infantis by use of pulsed field gel electrophoresis. Int J Food Microbiol 32, 125–131. and (
- 2003) Antimicrobial susceptibility and genetic relatedness of Salmonella serovars isolated from animal-derived dog treats in the U.S.A. J Antimicrob Chemother 52, 860–863. , , , , , , , et al. (