Field investigations on the survival of Escherichia coli and presence of other enteric micro-organisms in biosolids-amended agricultural soil
Article first published online: 3 OCT 2007
© 2007 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2007 The Society for Applied Microbiology
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 103, Issue 5, pages 1868–1882, November 2007
How to Cite
Lang, N.L., Bellett-Travers, M.D. and Smith, S.R. (2007), Field investigations on the survival of Escherichia coli and presence of other enteric micro-organisms in biosolids-amended agricultural soil. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 103: 1868–1882. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2672.2007.03489.x
- Issue published online: 3 OCT 2007
- Article first published online: 3 OCT 2007
- 2005/1026: received 9 September 2005, revised 23 March 2007 and accepted 16 April 2007
- 1988) Survival and growth of bacteria introduced into soil. Soil Biol Biochem 20, 509–515. , and (
- 2000) Food Microbiology, 2nd edn. Cambridge, UK: Royal Society of Chemistry. and (
- ADAS; Agricultural Development and Advisory Service (2001) The Safe Sludge Matrix. Guidelines for the Application of Sewage Sludge to Arable and Horticultural Crops, 3rd edn. ( http://www.adas.co.uk ).
- 1977) Introduction to Soil Microbiology, 2nd edn. New York, USA: John Wiley and Sons. (
- 1983) Survival of salmonellae in sewage sludge injected into soil. Effluent Water Treat J 23, 72–74. , and (
- APHA; American Public Health Association (1998) Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 20th edn. Maryland, USA: United Book Press.
- 1999) Survival of Escherichia coli O157 in a soil protozoan: implications for disease. FEMS Microbiol Lett 173, 291–295. , and (
- 1976) Persistence of faecal coliform indicator bacteria on alfalfa irrigated with municipal sewage lagoon effluent. J Environ Quality 5, 39–42. (
- 1994) Environmental impact of fertilizing soil by using sewage and animal waste. Fertiliser Res 37, 1–22. and (
- 1991) Biology of Microorganisms, 6th edn. New Jersey, USA: Prentice Hall Inc. and (
- BSI; British Standards Institution (1994) Soil Quality – Part 3: Chemical Methods – Section 3.1. Determination of Dry Matter and Water Content on a Mass Basis by a Gravimetric Method. BS 7755-3.1:1994; ISO 11465:1993. London, UK: BSI.
- BSI; British Standards Institution (2001) Water Quality – Part 1: Detection and Enumeration of Bacteriophages – Enumeration of F-specific RNA Bacteriophage. BS 6068-4.11:1996; BS EN ISO 10705-1:2001. London, UK: BSI.
- 2001) Evaluation of Sludge Treatments for Pathogen Reduction – Final Report. Study Contract No. B4-3040/2001/322179/MAR/A2 for the European Commission Directorate-General Environment. WRc Ref: CO5026/1. Marlow, UK: WRc Medmenham ( http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/sludge/sludge_eval.pdf ). (
- CEC; Commission of the European Communities (2000) Working Document on Sludge 3rd Draft. 27 April 2000, DG ENV.E.3/LM. European Commission, Directorate-General Environment, Brussels (http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/sludge/sludge_en.pdf).
- CEC; Council of the European Communities (1986) Council Directive of 12 June 1986 on the protection of the environment, and in particular of the soil, when sewage sludge is used in agriculture (86/278/EEC). Official Journal of the European Communities No. L181, 6–12.
- 2002) Implementation of HACCP controls under the new sludge (use in agriculture) regulations. Proceedings of the Joint CIWEM Aqua Enviro Consultancy Services 7th European Biosolids and Organic Residuals Conference, 18–20 November, Wakefield, UK. , , , and (
- 2002) Influence of soil on faecal indicator organisms in a tidally influenced subtropical environment. Appl Environ Microbiol 68, 1165–1172. , and (
- DoE; Department of the Environment (1996) Code of Practice for Agricultural Use of Sewage Sludge. London, UK: HMSO.
- 1996) A case control study of multiple resistant Salmonella typhimurium DT 104 infection of cattle in Great Britain. Cattle Practice 4, 259–263. (
- 2003) Survival of Salmonella spp. in a simulated acid-phase anaerobic digester treating sewage sludge. Bioresour Technol 86, 53–57. , and (
- 1997) Re-growth of faecal coliforms and salmonellae in stored biosolids and soil amended with biosolids. Water Sci Technol 35, 269–275. , , and (
- 1998) Dynamics of nematodes and protozoa following the experimental addition of cattle or pig slurry to soil. Soil Biol Biochem 30, 1379–1387. , , , , and (
- 1952) Antibiotic production by fungi on organic manures and in soil. J Gen Microbiol 6, 295–310. (
- 1984) A method for the enumeration of male-specific bacteriophages in sewage. J Appl Bacteriol 56, 439–447. and (
- 1985) Bacteriophages in faecal bacteria as indicators of chlorination efficiency of geologically treated wastewater. J Water Pollut Control Federation 57, 1084–1088. and (
- 1996) Pathogen destruction and biosolids composting. Biocycle 37, 67–76. (
- HoC; House of Commons (1998) Sewage Treatment and Disposal. Second Report of the Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs Committee, HC 266-1. London, UK: The Stationery Office.
- 1999) A Survey of E. coli in UK Sludges. Report No.: Sewage Sludge-99/SL/06/3.London, UK: UK Water Industry Research. ISBN: 1 84057 168 3 (http://www.ukwir.org/ukwirlibrary/346). (
- 1988) Starvation-induced cross protection against heat or H2O2 challenge in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol 170, 3910–3914. , and (
- 1990) Starvation-induced cross protection against osmotic challenge in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol 172, 2779–2781. , and (
- 2002) Methods for the enumeration of Salmonella species in sewage sludge and soil. Proceedings of the Joint CIWEM Aqua Enviro Technology Transfer 7th European Biosolids and Organic Residuals Conference, 18–20 November, Wakefield, UK. , , and (
- 1994) RpoS is necessary for both the positive and negative regulation of starvation survival genes during phosphate, carbon and nitrogen starvation in Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol 176, 4610–4616. , , , , and (
- 1989) Changes in microbial population following the application of cattle slurry to soil at two temperatures. Soil Biol Biochem 21, 263–268. , and (
- 1982) Survival of Salmonella adelaide and faecal coliforms in coarse sands and swan coastal plain, Western Australia. Appl Environ Microbiol 43, 981–986. and (
- 2003) Secondary metabolites of Flustra foliacea and their influence on bacteria. Appl Environ Microbiol 69, 3469–3475. , , , , , and (
- 1997) Effects of different biosolids treatment systems on pathogen and pathogen indicator reduction. Water Environ Res 69, 1195–1206. , and (
- 2002) Experimental Design and Data Analysis for Biologists. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. and (
- RCEP; Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution (1996) Nineteenth Report: Sustainable Use of Soil. Cm 3165. London, UK: HMSO.
- 1992) Survival in soil of genetically engineered Escherichia coli as related to inoculum density, predation and competition. FEMS Microbiol Ecol 101, 251–260. , and (
- 1992) A medium detecting β-glucuronidase for the simultaneous membrane filtration enumeration of Eschericha coli and coliforms from drinking water. Lett Appl Microbiol 15, 273–276. and (
- SCA; Standing Committee of Analysts (2003a) The Microbiology of Sludge – Part 2 – Practices and Procedures for Sampling and Sample Preparation. Methods for the Examination of Waters and Associated Materials No. 189 . London, UK: HMSO.
- SCA; Standing Committee of Analysts (2003b) The Microbiology of Sludge – Part 3 – Methods for the Isolation and Enumeration of Escherichia coli Including Verocytotoxigenic Escherichia coli. Methods for the Examination of Waters and Associated Materials No. 190 . London, UK: HMSO.
- 1998) Identification of conserved, RpoS-dependent stationary-phase genes of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol 180, 6283–6291. , , and (
- SI; Statutory Instrument (1989) The Sludge (Use in Agriculture) Regulations. SI No. 1263 as amended (1990) SI No. 880. London, UK: HMSO.
- 2001) The new sludge (use in agriculture) regulations. Proceedings of the Joint CIWEM Aqua Enviro Consultancy Services 6th European Biosolids and Organic Residuals Conference, 12–14 November, Wakefield, UK. , , and (
- 2003) Strain-dependent variability in growth and survival of Escherichia coli in agricultural soil. FEMS Microbiol Ecol 44, 303–308. , , , , , and (
- 2002) Survival and leaching of faecal bacteria after slurry spreading on mountain hay meadows: consequences for the management of water contamination risk. Water Res 36, 275–283. , and (
- US EPA; United States Environmental Protection Agency (1993) Part 503 standards for the use or disposal of sewage sludge. Federal Register 58, 9387–9404.
- 1967) Seasonal variations in survival of indicator bacteria in soil and their contribution to storm water pollution. Appl Microbiol 15, 1361–1370. , and (
- 1995) Survival of, and induced stress resistance in, carbon-starved Pseudomonas fluorescens cells residing in soil. Appl Environ Microbiol 61, 4202–4208. , , , and (
- 1997) Inactivation of pathogenic bacteria under mesophilic and thermophilic conditions. Water Sci Technol 36, 25–32. , , and (
- WHO; World Health Organization (1981) The Risk to Health of Microbes in Sewage Sludge Applied to Land. Report on a WHO Working Group, Stevenage, 6–9 January 1981, EURO Reports and Studies No. 54. Copenhagen: World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe.
- 1978) Survival of Pathogenic and Indicator Microorganisms in Sewage Sludge Amended Agricultural Soil: Winter and Summer Growing Seasons, 1977. Whittier California, US: County Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County, San Jose Creek Water Quality Lab. , , , and (